Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Chat
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by: J&P Cycles

P

Old 09-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Road Master
Question Pitbull -VS- J&S Motorcycle Lift.

From actual experiences, what are the pro and con differences between the Pitbull and J & S brand motorcycle lift? Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Road Master

Before I bought mine, I looked at both of these. I went with the J&S. The J&S is very solid and requires no adapters, it has a little smaller footprint, and is cheaper. The only thing I could see different between the 2 is the Pitbull goes a little higher. That is not a factor to me. At the highest setting on my J&S, I can sit on a stool and comfortably get to anything on the bike.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Just bought a J&S. I ran several searches on this site, and decided that the J&S was the better quality jack, and less expensive to boot.

Also bought the drain pan and T handle. Will make fluid changes on the Street Glide that much easier, since the plugs are above the jack frame, and there's no way to get a catch pan under there with the jack.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Elite HDF Member

Buddy of mine has a Pit Bull while I have the J&S. Both are top quality jacks and you can't go wrong with either one. As Romark said - The PitBull lifts to 24 or 25", had a larger foot print, and costs more. The J&S raises to 18" and that's been more than high enough for me. I like that J&S are just a couple of brothers from WI who built these and I have nothing but praise for them & their product.

About a month or so ago, the spring on the bottle jack broke. One quick email to J&S asking for a replacement (I even offered to pay for the thing) and a new spring was on the way free of charge.

05' Wide Glide
Old 09-06-2012, 02:44 PM
Road Master
Default Interesting...

I'm glad to hear.
I was thinking about getting the Pitbull but the cost is alot more for what looks to me like almost the same jack.
Pitbull says they offer two models, the 6 and 12 ton model.
J & S seem to have only one.

Also...
How flush does the lift platform lift arms on both fit to the frame?
When the lift contacts the bikes frame is there a chance of it marking the frame or leaving marks of any kind?

Last edited by Dispatch; 09-06-2012 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: Additions.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Road Captain

I'm considering buying a J&S jack. Is the T-handle really needed to move around the jack with a bike loaded or is it stable enough to move the unit by simply pushing the bike?
Old 09-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Road Master

3.......2........1........ I'm just waiting for the Harbor Freight guys to chime in with their $69 coupon deals. LOL. Anyway, I only have experience with the PitBull. I like it so much I have 2 of them. I'm sure the J&S is a keeper too! You cannot go wrong with either. My neighbor has the Harbor Freight and it sucks ***! Very scary and letting the bike down will make you cringe. I had a Sears Yellow Aluminum professional jack. It is too lightweight and flexes like a bitch under the load of an Ultra.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:39 PM
Road Captain

I have one of their first versions of the pitbull over 10 years old.Solid as the day I got it.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:41 PM
Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DresserDude View Post
3.......2........1........ I'm just waiting for the Harbor Freight guys to chime in with their $69 coupon deals. LOL. Anyway, I only have experience with the PitBull. I like it so much I have 2 of them. I'm sure the J&S is a keeper too! You cannot go wrong with either. My neighbor has the Harbor Freight and it sucks ***! Very scary and letting the bike down will make you cringe. I had a Sears Yellow Aluminum professional jack. It is too lightweight and flexes like a bitch under the load of an Ultra.

Yep! I have a HF one, I actually paid $70 for it. Thought it was great until I saw a Pitbull in person.

Now the HF jack collects dust. Love the Pitbull. I bought the rotisserie plate attachment and bought the jack with the air adapter built in so I can raise and lower with air. It is extremely stable. I like freaking out friends that have never seen them before by grabbing the back of the bike while its jacked up and giving it a good 360 degree spin on the rotisserie.

Makes it extra nice to be able to rotate the bike in line with the jack to make room in cramped garages...
Old 09-06-2012, 04:51 PM
Road Master

Click the image to open in full size.[/quote]

Dude, that pan ripley is sweet!!
Old 09-06-2012, 04:51 PM

P