General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pitbull -VS- J&S Motorcycle Lift.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Dispatch
Road Warrior

Received 518 Likes on 266 Posts
Question Pitbull -VS- J&S Motorcycle Lift.

From actual experiences, what are the pro and con differences between the Pitbull and J & S brand motorcycle lift?

Old 09-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Romark
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before I bought mine, I looked at both of these. I went with the J&S. The J&S is very solid and requires no adapters, it has a little smaller footprint, and is cheaper. The only thing I could see different between the 2 is the Pitbull goes a little higher. That is not a factor to me. At the highest setting on my J&S, I can sit on a stool and comfortably get to anything on the bike.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

Just bought a J&S. I ran several searches on this site, and decided that the J&S was the better quality jack, and less expensive to boot.

Also bought the drain pan and T handle. Will make fluid changes on the Street Glide that much easier, since the plugs are above the jack frame, and there's no way to get a catch pan under there with the jack.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Buddy of mine has a Pit Bull while I have the J&S. Both are top quality jacks and you can't go wrong with either one. As Romark said - The PitBull lifts to 24 or 25", had a larger foot print, and costs more. The J&S raises to 18" and that's been more than high enough for me. I like that J&S are just a couple of brothers from WI who built these and I have nothing but praise for them & their product.

About a month or so ago, the spring on the bottle jack broke. One quick email to J&S asking for a replacement (I even offered to pay for the thing) and a new spring was on the way free of charge.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:44 PM
Dispatch
Road Warrior

Received 518 Likes on 266 Posts
Default Interesting...

I'm glad to hear.
I was thinking about getting the Pitbull but the cost is alot more for what looks to me like almost the same jack.
Pitbull says they offer two models, the 6 and 12 ton model.
J & S seem to have only one.

Also...
How flush does the lift platform lift arms on both fit to the frame?
When the lift contacts the bikes frame is there a chance of it marking the frame or leaving marks of any kind?

Last edited by Dispatch; 09-06-2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Additions.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Nirvana
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm considering buying a J&S jack. Is the T-handle really needed to move around the jack with a bike loaded or is it stable enough to move the unit by simply pushing the bike?

Old 09-06-2012, 04:27 PM
DresserDude
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

3.......2........1........ I'm just waiting for the Harbor Freight guys to chime in with their $69 coupon deals. LOL. Anyway, I only have experience with the PitBull. I like it so much I have 2 of them. I'm sure the J&S is a keeper too! You cannot go wrong with either. My neighbor has the Harbor Freight and it sucks ***! Very scary and letting the bike down will make you cringe. I had a Sears Yellow Aluminum professional jack. It is too lightweight and flexes like a bitch under the load of an Ultra.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:39 PM
In2It
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one of their first versions of the pitbull over 10 years old.Solid as the day I got it.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:41 PM
Mark_H
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DresserDude
3.......2........1........ I'm just waiting for the Harbor Freight guys to chime in with their $69 coupon deals. LOL. Anyway, I only have experience with the PitBull. I like it so much I have 2 of them. I'm sure the J&S is a keeper too! You cannot go wrong with either. My neighbor has the Harbor Freight and it sucks ***! Very scary and letting the bike down will make you cringe. I had a Sears Yellow Aluminum professional jack. It is too lightweight and flexes like a bitch under the load of an Ultra.

Yep! I have a HF one, I actually paid $70 for it. Thought it was great until I saw a Pitbull in person.

Now the HF jack collects dust. Love the Pitbull. I bought the rotisserie plate attachment and bought the jack with the air adapter built in so I can raise and lower with air. It is extremely stable. I like freaking out friends that have never seen them before by grabbing the back of the bike while its jacked up and giving it a good 360 degree spin on the rotisserie.

Makes it extra nice to be able to rotate the bike in line with the jack to make room in cramped garages...
Name:  003-1.jpg
Views: 3863
Size:  221.2 KB

Old 09-06-2012, 04:51 PM
DresserDude
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Name:  003-1.jpg
Views: 4439
Size:  221.2 KB[/quote]

Dude, that pan ripley is sweet!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pitbull -VS- J&S Motorcycle Lift.