General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

demo days - my experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 08:10 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default demo days - my experience

Well, I went to demo days at my dealer where they had the factory demo truck in this weekend. They brought 18 bikes: 5 Touring, 4 Softails, 4 Dynas, 4 Sporties, and 1 Nightrod. I rode 14 of the 18 bikes....the only ones I didn't ride were 3 of the 4 Sporties and the Nightrod.

While I have ridden most of these models before, I have some new thoughts and opinions on them all, so I will sum up my opinions on the bikes I rode.

My first general opinion/thought is on all of the Touring bikes. In summary, I thought I would hate having the weight and would never want a radio or fairing on any bike of mine....after spending some time on touring bikes, now I want one.

Touring

Ultra Classic EG and EG Ultra Limited:
I was really impressed how nice these 2 bikes handled. I didn't notice much if any notable differences in the two. Although they are heavy machines, they handled great. If I was going to travel with my wife around the country, I would have one. Of the touring bikes, this would be the best suited for me to go long distance on.

Road Glide:
While I expected to like this even better than the EG models, I did not. The shark nose fairing is supposed to break the wind better, but I didn't like the fairing as well as the bat wings. It sticks so far out in front of the bike, it also makes visibility right in front of you slightly obstructed. However, it was more stable at speed because the fairing is attached to the frame and not the forks. I also did not like the bars...unlike the rest of the touring line, the bars seem to have an upward bend out toward the end, which didn't seem naturally comfortable to me. Most that have them say they are the best touring bike out there....they are a nice bike, but not for me.

Road King (CVO):
The Road King I rode was the CVO model, which changes everything. The 110 in CVO trim flat out hauls *** even with the factory tune & exhaust. As far as the rest of the bike, I loved the Road King. I have always though if I ever got a touring bike, it would be a RK, but maybe not now.

Street Glide:
This was the first bike I rode, and I loved it so much, I rode it again at the end of the day. Loved everything about it. Looks great, handled great, and for some reason this model was the most comfortable for me. I don't know what else to say except it was one sweet ride.

Softail

Heritage:
Damned nice riding bike. Easy to operate, well equipped, handled nice. I'm not a fan of this look and it's not my style, but they sure are a nice bike. Very comfortable.

Fat Boy Lo:
If you've rode a Fat Boy before, this is the same except if feels about an inch lower and is blacked out. Brief summary is that it feels solid, but a bit bulky. Overall a nice bike and I thought it was comfortable and stable.

Blackline:
Most uncomfortable bike I have ever ridden....end of story. Don't like the looks either.

Slim:
I was totally impressed with the Slim. It handled good, and was very comfortable except for the seat. Change this seat out for something more comfortable and you've got a nice ride. I thought it felt very stable, and the bars fit the bike and are comfortable. I would totally own one, and was my favorite of the Softails.

Dyna
I ride a Dyna (FXDC), so I'm going to be pretty short here.

Fat Bob:
Best handling Dyna, and brakes are great. In control, nimble.

Wide Glide:
My opinion is the same on this model as I have said before...sweet ride, and nice looking bike, but it just doesn't handle as well as the other Dynas. The 21 inch front wheel and the rake make it a bit more challenging to push the bike. Still a great bike it that's what you're after.

Street Bob:
Since they have made some changes to the 2013 model and it's nearly the same bike as my FXDC from a mechanical standpoint, I rode it for comparison because this particular bike had the 103. I wanted to see if I could notice a difference in basically the same bike as mine with the 103 instead of the 96. It's in stock trim, so taking that into consideration, I could still tell a difference, although very little it was enough to notice by the seat of the pants. Nice bike & this one was the red metal flake, which is beautiful in the sun. Nice ride!

Switchback:
I love the versatility and the looks. I was impressed. The FL front end changes the bike and separates it from the rest of the Dynas. In summary, regardless of the model, my next bike will have an FL front end. It was smooth, and handled as well as an FX front end. With it having slightly more trail in it, it was super stable on the highway as well. I also liked the floorboards. It has a place in the lineup for sure. This was my favorite Dyna.

Sportster
I only rode one Sporty, because I wanted to ride the 72. It sure is a cool looking bike, and was quick and nimble and easy to throw around. However, the suspension and seat are horrible, and reminded me quickly why I no longer ride a Sporty. I was hoping they would also have a 48, but it was not in the demo fleet. I could not wait to get off the thing as my back was killing me. I would still own one for a bar hopper, but why when I could have a Dyna.

Nightrod
Didn't ride it, but have rode before. Just not my thing.

In summary, my favorite touring bike was the Street Glide, favorite Softail was the Slim, and favorite Dyna was the Switchback.

I will say though that I don't like the switchback any better than my Super Glide for comfort, and like the looks of my bike better. However, the versatility is awesome on the Switchback and I would definitely own one.

While I loved the Slim, I don't know that I'll ever ride a Softail full time as I prefer the Dynas, but I could see buying one for my wife. Not saying it's a girls bike at all so don't go off on that bit, but just that it is a nice bike that is easy to ride and the styling looks good. I would own one for sure, but as a backup or third bike.

All in all, nothing handles like any of the Dynas, period. Quick, nimble, looks awesome, and all around great bikes, but that's just me.

Now for my favorite part. I never thought I would want a touring bike, but after this I want one. I loved the Street Glide, and this will be my next bike. I hope at some point I can keep my FXDC and add a Street Glide to my garage, but if I could only choose one it would be the Street Glide. I know there are a ton of the them out there, but now I know why. I never thought I would want a radio on a bike either, but I was completely impressed with the system and how it was set up. My FXDC and the Street Glide are my 2 fav bikes in the HD lineup, so I guess I made the right decision this spring and still love the bike I have, but if I were doing it over again, I would be riding a Street Glide.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:24 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I would love to go to a demo days event. They never have them up here. It would be fun to get out there and ride that many different bikes like you did. The closest I get is that when I go to the dealer for service they give me a loaner bike.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:06 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
I would love to go to a demo days event. They never have them up here. It would be fun to get out there and ride that many different bikes like you did. The closest I get is that when I go to the dealer for service they give me a loaner bike.
Yeah, I do it every year...my dealer is one of the top 10 dealers in the country, so they get the demo truck every year. It's a nice event in general. I learn something every year & it's nice to be able to ride a bunch of different bikes back to back. Makes you realize what you really like and dislike about each model.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:25 AM
Drashin
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up Sharkman, I missed our local Demo Days. I saw the truck as it was leaving town!

Old 10-01-2012, 12:50 PM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

Sounds like fun....enjoyed reading your comments

Old 10-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Moon-dog
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big_Al47
Sounds like fun....enjoyed reading your comments

Old 10-01-2012, 01:51 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

I should add some more comments about the Road King in the demo fleet...
It is hard to compare because the one I rode was the CVO model, and as I have mentioned it had the 110. Make no mistake, the 110 rocks!

The paint(burgandy blaze with hot fusion graphics) and stereo system on this bike were unbelievable. The wheels were awesome also.

The windshield is different from the standard model by a lot. I can't describe it, so you'll have to check out the pics on the HD website. It functioned very well and was not just for looks.

It has the high performance hydraulic clutch in it from the factory, which was odd feeling compared to the other bikes. It was much harder to pull, and the catch point was farther out. Once it grabbed though, it locked up. It took me half the time riding it to get used to the clutch, but it is heavy duty for a reason. Constant shifting and your hand is going to get tired though.

When you grabbed a handful of throttle, the 110 came to life fiercely! I believe, but not 100% sure that this engine comes with the se-255 cams from the factory...whatever it is in combination with the 110 it has way more power than any factory bike I have ever ridden.

At $31,000, this bike should be impressive, and it is.

I said before that the Street Glide was my favorite bike I rode, which is true in terms of something I could afford to own at some point, but all in all if money were no object, the CVO Road King would be in my garage. I love the Road Kings anyway, but this one was far and above anything I have ever thrown a leg across. It was by far the most impressive bike in the demo fleet.

One odd thing I did note about the bike....it felt like I was sitting higher than any of the other bikes in the fleet, which made it feel a little more top heavy and heavier in general than even the Electra Glides.

If you ever get a chance to ride or demo a CVO Road King, don't pass it up.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:41 PM
mrbobby
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the street glide rides like **** while the blackline and slim were the best riding ones...we had demo days at c a hd here in columbus last summer

Old 10-01-2012, 02:59 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mrbobby
the street glide rides like **** while the blackline and slim were the best riding ones...we had demo days at c a hd here in columbus last summer
You thought the Street Glide rides like **** & the Blackline was the best riding?? Wow, just the opposite of my opinion.
Guess that's why they make many different models. To each their own I guess. I don't know how anyone could find the Blackline comfortable with those bars.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:05 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the writeup. How much time/miles were you able to spend in the saddle of each bike? What kinds of roads did you demo them on?

Also, which dealer? I'm going to be in Bloomington, IN in a month and would love to rent a bike and ride around IN for the day if I get a chance.

Quick Reply: demo days - my experience