General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Run Flat Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 01:38 PM
USAFANG67
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Run Flat Tires

Why don't motorcycles come with "Run-Flat Tires"?
I did a search on this before asking but I didn't find an answer.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:47 PM
speckfisher
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent question......I have also always wondered why not? Cost increase? Not sure.....but the safety factor is worth considering.....a use a run-flat CT on my wing......not my hog yet....

Old 01-13-2013, 02:30 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,910 Likes on 17,472 Posts

To have a true run flat tire it would have to be harder than a wedding night dick which would make it pretty much useless as a ridable motorcycle tire , be slicker than hell unless the bikes so heavy it would take a tow truck to get it off it's side like a GW .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 01-13-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:33 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,624 Likes on 4,623 Posts

run flats are horrible for ride characteristics, you think our bikes ride like an old army tank now? the handling would be poor as well, and you get poor mileage from them. not a good deal for a car, even worse for a bike

Old 01-13-2013, 02:33 PM
speckfisher
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
To have a true run flat tire it would have to be harder than a wedding night dick which would make pretty much useless as ridable motorcycle tire , be slicker than hell unless the bikes so heavy it would take a tow truck to get it off it's side like a GW .
Hilarious......great example......still laughing......

Old 01-13-2013, 02:40 PM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Police motorcycles have the run-flat tires. I had thought about buying a used police motorcycle. The mechanic told me that they would have to change the tires to regular road tires.
For some reason only PD's can have the run-flats. Maybe they want you to end the high speed pursuit after running over the spike strips.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:43 PM
razors edge
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a flat on my 502 and it might aswell been a run flat. In my opion of course. I was riding 2up coming into San Angilo, my brother told me my rear tire looked low,I did notice it seem to a bit squirrelly coming into town. Way better tire than many years ago I had a flat on the rear, back then it was bar ditch to bar ditch. The 502 was flat a bit pricey but after that event peace of mind makes it worth the price for me.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:53 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The tires on older Harley Police bikes were not flat run tires but bead retention tires, not designed for driving on a flat tire. They also were not designed for two up riding. I think the newer police scooters have standard tires.

I had flat run tires on a BMW car, the ride and handling was great. But that was 4 wheels, not 2.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:55 PM
USAFANG67
Road Master

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
run flats are horrible for ride characteristics, you think our bikes ride like an old army tank now? the handling would be poor as well, and you get poor mileage from them. not a good deal for a car, even worse for a bike
I think with todays rubber compounds and suspension tweaks it's possible. I'm sure there has to be a reason why it hasn't happened yet.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:56 PM
USAFANG67
Road Master

Originally Posted by razors edge
I had a flat on my 502 and it might aswell been a run flat. In my opion of course. I was riding 2up coming into San Angilo, my brother told me my rear tire looked low,I did notice it seem to a bit squirrelly coming into town. Way better tire than many years ago I had a flat on the rear, back then it was bar ditch to bar ditch. The 502 was flat a bit pricey but after that event peace of mind makes it worth the price for me.
"Peace of Mind" is the word here.

Quick Reply: Run Flat Tires