General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

103 Motor and performance build ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 10:35 AM
AllenW
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts
Default 103 Motor and performance build ?

I built high performance bike motors for years, unfortunately they were all Suzuki's or Kawi's, and I have a 2012 WG sitting in the garage now.

Haven't done much on Harley motors since the late 70's and it's now a new learning curve.

What I have decided so far is to run an different intake, Rineheart 2 into 1 exhaust, master tune TTS and cams and ??

It's the cams and ? I'm having trouble with.

Had the cam figured when I thought the wife and I would be riding the together, torque and more torque.
Now that she has a Spyder, I'll be the only one on the bike and a new cam choice is required.
One more designed to go fast.
Also with the added tq/hp what else is required or suggested to make the motor function better, clutch mods, valve springs, injector mods/upgrades, etc?
New motor so boring is not an option though.

And what else can I do over the winter to get a few extra ponies, such as port work, ignition, etc?
All while not losing to much reliability.

Searches have left me with a ton of suggestions, but what seems to be missing is a basic step by step as to different levels of mods and what needs to and can be done.

Considering how long Harley has been around, I don't think it's missing, I think I'm not looking in the right place.

Going on line and searching the dealers of speed parts tend to be like asking a sponsored fishing pro what kind of bait to use, you'll get what he is pushing and not a broad overview of what's out there. imho

Any suggestions?

TIA

Al

Old 10-07-2012, 10:43 AM
weekender2098
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep it simple for now, you can always go further if you decide too. I suggest to bolt on some 254e cams for the WG. Good luck with your search.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:52 AM
AllenW
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by weekender2098
Keep it simple for now, you can always go further if you decide too. I suggest to bolt on some 254e cams for the WG. Good luck with your search.
Thanks, ya I'm not trying to get to carried away, this more a rider than a racer bike.
But I'd like to get most of it done during this winter, summers to short here to be wrenching on a bike.

fwiw I'll keep posting on what I come up with.
Al

Old 10-07-2012, 12:29 PM
AkBobber707
Intermediate

Cams and head work will wake that thing up.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:08 PM
AllenW
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by AkBobber707
Cams and head work will wake that thing up.
Sure hoping to..

Had been thinking of going with an S&S 551 cam, but that one is not needed now.
Local bike builder says I should stay with HD cams, not so sure though.

Looking also at the HD Variable pressure clutch, sounds like it'll let me stay with stock springs yet generate more power with out clutch slippage.

Al

Old 10-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Dr.Death
Advanced

There is a sticky in the touring section called "dyno numbers for baggers" there's a lot of different set ups and the hp/tq from their results. Even though you don't have a touring model you mind find it interesting to read some of the results.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AllenW
Sure hoping to..

Had been thinking of going with an S&S 551 cam, but that one is not needed now.
Local bike builder says I should stay with HD cams, not so sure though.

Looking also at the HD Variable pressure clutch, sounds like it'll let me stay with stock springs yet generate more power with out clutch slippage.

Al
Harley's performance parts are made to work with each other,and they do it well. Mixing and matching components by different makers is asking for headaches. Got 255 cams in my 103,big air intake,Screamin' Eagle Pro tuner,and 4 inch duals for exhaust.All together,it's a strong running package in the Road King.All you need for any application.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:32 PM
AllenW
Elite HDF Member

I'll take a look Dr Death, thanks.

Twistnride, I think he mentioned either the 255 or the 254 cams depending on what I ended up doing with the rest of the motor.

I'm a heavier rider and run mostly either in town or secondary roads, torque in that lower range is still important, figuring 1500 to 5,000 rpm.

I'm giving some thought to going a bit deeper in final drive gearing, that may have me running normally a bit higher in rpm.

Good point though, thanks.

Al

Old 10-08-2012, 07:05 PM
AllenW
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dr.Death
There is a sticky in the touring section called "dyno numbers for baggers" there's a lot of different set ups and the hp/tq from their results. Even though you don't have a touring model you mind find it interesting to read some of the results.
Well, I spent better part of my day reading this section, still got a bit to go but got bogged down when it went to "Can a HD go 120mph?" and the several hundred posts after that..

Not sure but thinking that my plans of the 2 into 1 Rinehearts, stage 1 A/C, TTS mastertune and some sort of cam may only bring appox 105 tq and under a 100 hp. ??
Was hoping to get to that 105-110 hp and 110-115tq level or higher.

Wondering if a bit of head work will give them kind of numbers?

I know, hard to tell, but just bench racing and hoping to figure out what I need to do.
tia

Al

Old 10-08-2012, 07:13 PM
AkBobber707
Intermediate

Head work and woods 777 cams will give you in the area of 110hp and 117tq. Check out this link:
http://fuelmotousa.com/cams.htm

Quick Reply: 103 Motor and performance build ?