General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toy Hauler camper advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 07:42 PM
The Biscuit
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toy Hauler camper advice

So Im in need of advice,, and am looking to hear from those who have used , or own a toy Hauler camper..

Im a tradesman that has had to travel to jobs out of state to keep working... im gone for months, with 9 to 10 months of the year off or on the road away from home. ive stayed in motels but I like bringing my travel trailor the most,, own bed,, no bugs .. etc..

im on my second trailor, its going on 8 years old,,,, I would like to explore the idea of bringing my bike with inside a toy hauler,, I am looking to try to get one with a garage style,, at least one or more slide out,, heated tanks,, with double pane windows,, cause this will be used into the winter,, even if using the bike part isnt.

I am aware of a couple that some of that is a option,,,anyone with firsthand info,,, that woulde be great...

I do have some other questions,,,,,
1. is there any issues with the ramp and loading and unloading a LARGER BIKE? many seem steep.slippery looking.. and when you load,, you ride it up and out??..
Id be by myself. It seems like non camping toy haulers are lower to the ground,, making the angle less..safer

anything to avoid with this idea?

input welcome,, thanks

Old 10-07-2012, 08:03 PM
scoobs
Tourer

I have a Toy hauler, travel trailer style, every time I load or unload, I have to raise the front of the trailer several inches so that I can decrease the angle of the ramp to keep from dragging the frame and kickstand over the transition between the ramp and the floor of the trailer. Could also go at it from the other direction and put some blocking under the lip of the ramp at the ground. The ramp is sturdy enough on mine so I am sure that any quality trailer the ramp will hold up. Loading I just get lined up and ride it easy up the ramp and into the chock. Backing out is easy enough, pop it out of the chock and ease the rear tire over to the ramp and grab some front brake and ease her down to the bottom. If I have a helper around to help control it so much the better. One thing that may help you if you are alone would be an electric winch with a long control cable which you could use both for pulling the bike in and out in a more controlled(slower) manner.
Thats about all I got for ya...

Old 10-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Fl Jimbo 05
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know what you're hauling with, but chances are you will need at least a 3/4 ton truck, and if u get something in excess of 9 or 10,000 lbs.
you're probably going to need a diesel. The truck could easily exceed the cost of the hauler. Something u might have to take into consideration.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:13 PM
The Biscuit
Cruiser

I agree they get heavy,,, I have a ford excursion with a V-10,, am thinking about a used diesal,,, also,,,the size and weight wont push me off with worry,..I have a class A cdl, , ill make sure it will all work together,, thanks for the input,, and please post more if anyone can add to this....

Old 10-07-2012, 09:21 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

I had a travel trailer type that did not have a separate garage. I liked it, but had to unload the bike before I could go to bed. As for the ramp angle, I had to unload the seat when I hit the angle at the top or the bike frame would catch on it. Once I figured that out, it was easy loading and unloading by myself. I'd recommend a good wheel chock to hold the bike while you're strapping it in.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:42 PM
beakerztoyz
Tourer

Im pretty sure you can get a toy hauler trailer with all the options you want, there's a ton of guys up in Northern Alberta that pretty much live in thier trailers while they work up there{year round} I've heard of them even having triple pane windows, and a lot of them guys have toys they like to haul around.
If all else fails make a long distance call to Cars Rv and Marine in Edmonton, darn sure they would know right what ya need

Old 10-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Cat Mech
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a big Fifth Wheel toy hauler with the seperate garage. I have not had any issues loading or unloading either of my bikes (2006 Wide glide rear lowered 1.5" or 2011 Softail Convertable stock). I would reccomend that you get one with the dovetail in the rear. Mine is this way. The ramp folds down and there is another two feet of angled floor inside the rear of the trailer to help with loading. Also with the seperate garage you have your living space and your garage space (a place to store the bike at night or when your at work). Good luck in your decisions.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:39 AM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have a 31' Weekend Warrior, rear loading toyhauler. The back couple of feet is a drop tail and the ramp is in no way steep at all...and my road King is lowered front & back. It's an older model, heavy, but I have an F350 diesel. With a little skill I can ride my RK up one side of the ramp, cut across to the other side, then with a little grunting, slide the rear wheel around so I am loaded crosswise in the trailer. Gives lots of room in the living quarters.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:44 AM
Pix
Road Master
Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Coat the ramp door with anti-slip coating such as duraliner.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:38 AM
HDHardrider57
Novice

I have a very large Jayco Recon ZX 40D (overall 43 1/2' long). It has an excellent ramp that is covered in an abrasive finish. I have no clearance problems getting my 2013 CVO Ultra into it. However, we you are unloading it is best to bring the bike out without trying to stop on the ramp. It is rather interesting trying ease a 950 lb bike out of it backwards but once you have done it a few times it is a piece of cake. The Recon is perfect for extended living (I have lived in it for over a year now). It has three slide outs, two HD TVs, a 5500 watt Onan generator, 30 gallon fuel station, and is capable of extended winter living with sustained temperatures at or below zero. However it will require at least a 1 ton pickup to pull it as it is very heavy.

Quick Reply: Toy Hauler camper advice