General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you breaking the Flag Code?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 09:24 AM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Are you breaking the Flag Code?

or in violation of the flag code.

Here is a something to think about with all of the Harley/Flag shirts and such.

The U.S. Flag Code frowns on the use of the flag "for advertising purposes." It goes on to warn against the sale or display of any "article of merchandise ... upon which shall have been printed, painted, attached, or otherwise placed a representation of" the flag to "advertise, call attention to, decorate, mark, or distinguish the article or substance on which so placed."
In other words, when you wear a flag T-shirt or hat while reclining on an American flag beach towel near your American flag camping chair, you are violating the Flag Code. The code, which was drawn up at the first National Flag Conference in Washington in 1923, is part of the law of the land. But it is not enforced, nor is it enforceable. It is merely a set of guidelines, letting Americans know what to do — and what not to do — with our red, white and blue national emblem.
There is no Flag Police. You will not be arrested for wearing a flag-embossed T-shirt on Independence Day — or any other day of the year.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:34 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by editbrain
or in violation of the flag code.

Here is a something to think about with all of the Harley/Flag shirts and such.

The U.S. Flag Code frowns on the use of the flag "for advertising purposes." It goes on to warn against the sale or display of any "article of merchandise ... upon which shall have been printed, painted, attached, or otherwise placed a representation of" the flag to "advertise, call attention to, decorate, mark, or distinguish the article or substance on which so placed."
In other words, when you wear a flag T-shirt or hat while reclining on an American flag beach towel near your American flag camping chair, you are violating the Flag Code. The code, which was drawn up at the first National Flag Conference in Washington in 1923, is part of the law of the land. But it is not enforced, nor is it enforceable. It is merely a set of guidelines, letting Americans know what to do — and what not to do — with our red, white and blue national emblem.
There is no Flag Police. You will not be arrested for wearing a flag-embossed T-shirt on Independence Day — or any other day of the year.
But watch out for the grammar police here. There are no Flag Police.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:34 AM
Rick-e
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It used to be against the law for stores and gas stations to be open on Sunday too. Time marches on.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:35 AM
DTCOOPER
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

However (since this post is somewhat political), the use by a President of the Flag (or a close rendition of it) to emblazen his face on to, in Stahlin-istic fashion, is deplorable.. That's okay- our flag will begin to be redeemed in about 25 days.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:38 AM
editbrain
Road Warrior

Sorry. I didn't put the source of this article. The article is from AARP's website. I didn't write it, so the grammar is on them. Go figure.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:39 AM
editbrain
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Rick-e
It used to be against the law for stores and gas stations to be open on Sunday too. Time marches on.
This part of the flag code has nothing to do with religion. Nice Try though. Also, it's still illegal to sell alcohol in some states on Sunday. So, time isn't marching very fast, but that is a total different topic.

Last edited by editbrain; 10-11-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:46 AM
Bocifus
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This part of the flag code has nothing to do with religion. Nice Try though. Also, it's still illegal to sell alcohol in some states on Sunday. So, time isn't marching very fast, but that is a total different topic.
Rick-e's post is an:

a·nal·o·gy [uh-nal-uh-jee]

noun,
plural a·nal·o·gies.
a similarity between like features of two things, on which a comparison may be based: the analogy between the heart and a pump.

similarity or comparability: I see no analogy between your problem and mine.

Logic: a form of reasoning in which one thing is inferred to be similar to another thing in a certain respect, on the basis of the known similarity between the things in other respects.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:47 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default The American Flag - A Beautiful Sight!

I for one am OK with wearing, lying on, hanging on the front of the house and business, painting up of the bike and every other manner of displaying our flag! It is indeed a glorious testament to our country and a symble of freedom WHEREVER it is displayed. I may be breaking the "flag code" but I am not ashamed for how it is broken.

I have been proudly flying the flag at both home and business since I have had a house and business. I have flag hats, flag shirts, flag t-shirts and a flag patch (an integral part of the HOG patch setup on the vest) on my vest. A few years ago (for fathers day) my family bought me a beautiful flag shirt, with excerpt from the constitution, that have proudly worn every 4th of July since.

Prettiest bike I ever saw - custom Harley done to the nines - scalloped chrome everywhere and the best "flag" paint job I have ever seen.

Last edited by jeffreydsilver; 10-11-2012 at 09:49 AM.
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,920 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Sorry. I didn't put the source of this article. The article is from AARP's website. I didn't write it, so the grammar is on them. Go figure.
Now your saying old people can't spell? LOL
If you don't wanna wear a flag, that's your choice.
I personally DON'T CARE. I love my country, even with it's faults. And wear the flag with pride.
Sorry turned into a rant. OOPs.

jerryw13
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

technically erroneous, cHarley, police IS singular, defining a group, policeMEN would be plural, requiring the 'are', VBG However, does not the 10% rule apply, being that if an item is modified 10% from its' original, it becomes a singularly different item? That's what the copyright office declares, IMU

Quick Reply: Are you breaking the Flag Code?