General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Completely new to motorcycles questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 07:02 PM
xl8832007
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Completely new to motorcycles questions

Completely new to motorcycles.

I have a couple of questions regarding my new bike.

1st When coming to complete stop. What do I do with the clutch? Fully disengage it? Disengage it and rev? I keep stalling out at stop signs.

2nd When is it okay to completely let go of the clutch lever? I ask again because when ever I let go of the clutch lever I stall out.

3rd If I am in a higher gear do I accelerate much faster without holding down the throttle? My fear is of being in 2nd or 3rd gear and having the bike jump from under me.

bike is xl 883 2007 sorry no pics.

Last edited by xl8832007; 10-31-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:05 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Welcome to the Forum from Colorado!
Sounds like you could use a rider class.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:06 PM
MontyD
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd strongly recommend you sign up for formal riding classes with Abate or whatever local motorcycle training is in your area. Please sign up for a class. Your life depends on it. Thx for reaching out to this forum.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:13 PM
JC in Colorado
Cruiser

I agree with what the others have said, personal guidance could help you tremendously. When I had those questions I just got on a bike and tried it, lucky for me there were no cars coming when I exited the alley into the street by mistaking the clutch for the brake. BTW, the clutch essentially operates the same way as on a car, fully disengage to stop or coast to a stop (using the brakes of course).

Old 10-31-2012, 07:13 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude, no doubt a riding course will help save your life: give you the basic principles of braking, riding in the rain, and how at ride a slow speeds and manuver your bike gracefully. This is a great forum and you will get a lot of great information for your bike, but 1st things 1st. Learn how to ride. As others have said, it WILL help save your life!!! welcome and shinny side up!

Old 10-31-2012, 07:18 PM
nc883
Road Warrior

If you can't find or can't afford a course, find some one that can show you the answers to your questions. It's more of a seeing and doing vs being told answer. Good luck and welcome.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:18 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Keep you medical insurance premium paid up. You may need it. if you are serious I would take a class and practice on their bike. Lot of us did it on here.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:22 PM
HarleyGTP
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 42 Posts

I have to agree with these guys! When I first started riding I took a rider course first off, let me tell you it really opens up your eyes! Here's a personal experience:

I'm man enough to admit that when I first started riding, I had NO IDEA these clutches are liquid cooled and playing the "friction zone" will cause no harm what so ever. I was under the impression that they worked like a car clutch, easy off, easy on, never riding the clutch. So yea, the course is an absolute NECESSITY!!

Since no one has linked you yet, this is the resource I used to find a course:

http://www.smartridermsp.com/default.aspx

Old 10-31-2012, 07:24 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

1st When coming to complete stop. What do I do with the clutch? Fully disengage it? Disengage it and rev? I keep stalling out at stop signs.
It sounds like you're not disengaging the clutch (pulling in the lever) as you're coming to a full stop.

2nd When is it okay to completely let go of the clutch lever? I ask again because when ever I let go of the clutch lever I stall out.
As simply as I can say it: If you don't want to be moving, then the lever should be pulled in.

3rd If I am in a higher gear do I accelerate much faster without holding down the throttle? My fear is of being in 2nd or 3rd gear and having the bike jump from under me.
Basically, the lower the gear the more sensitive to throttle position the bike will be. I.E., Going from 4th to 5th at hiway speeds will result in less transition effect than going from 1st to 2nd at lower speeds.

But, I'm in total agreement with everyone else here. You just spent a bunch of money on a motorcycle that you're going to put your fragile human body on. Please, find a motorcycle training program by you and take the course.
Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF)
Some Harley dealers sponsor them.
ABATE, etc.

Adirondacks and Beyond Motorcycle Rider Training
DETI Inc. (also servicing nothern Vermont and Canada)Learn 2 Ride (Rochester and Syracuse areas of upstate New York)
Motorcycle Association of New York (MANYS)
Motorcycle Safety School, Inc.
SmartRider Motorcycle Safety Program, Inc. (Poughkeepsie and Suffern)StreetRider Motorcycle Training (Western New York)
Trama’s Motorcycle and Auto School (Queens, New York City)

Last edited by Deucedog; 10-31-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:43 PM
xl8832007
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by duecedog

It sounds like you're not disengaging the clutch (pulling in the lever) as you're coming to a full stop.

As simply as I can say it: If you don't want to be moving, then the lever should be pulled in.

Basically, the lower the gear the more sensitive to throttle position the bike will be. I.E., Going from 4th to 5th at hiway speeds will result in less transition effect than going from 1st to 2nd at lower speeds.

But, I'm in total agreement with everyone else here. You just spent a bunch of money on a motorcycle that you're going to put your fragile human body on. Please, find a motorcycle training program by you and take the course.
Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF)
Some Harley dealers sponsor them.
ABATE, etc.

Adirondacks and Beyond Motorcycle Rider Training
DETI Inc. (also servicing nothern Vermont and Canada)Learn 2 Ride (Rochester and Syracuse areas of upstate New York)
Motorcycle Association of New York (MANYS)
Motorcycle Safety School, Inc.
SmartRider Motorcycle Safety Program, Inc. (Poughkeepsie and Suffern)StreetRider Motorcycle Training (Western New York)
Trama’s Motorcycle and Auto School (Queens, New York City)
Awesome thanks. Yes, I agree with all you guys about the rider course. I was already looking into it.

Couple more questions.

If I let go of the clutch lever at say 20mph in first gear what will happen?

2nd at 40mph?

etc..

When I have the clutch lever pulled in and excessive vibration starts occurring what is causing that? Too low of RPM's wanting to stall out the bike?

Quick Reply: Completely new to motorcycles questions