General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Tech 665 Hookup wrong

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 11:03 AM
greystorm64
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Tech 665 Hookup wrong

I have a 2012 Street Glide. I bought it new from the deal, along wiht the Road Tech 665 (Zumo 665). I had them install it all and my key instructions were that I wanted to hear the GPS regardless of whether I was listing to FM, AM, XM....

After finally getting the bike, I was told the ONLY way to hear the GPS/XM is to plug the RT Zumo 665 into the Aux input on the front of the radio on the bike.

OK, I could live with this if that was actually usable. It means anytime I actually want to use the GPS, I wont be able to use FM/AM. Fine.

However, doing exactly as they said, hooking the GPS itself directly to the AUX input to the radio, I was able to hear XM and GPS instrutions just fine. Right up until about 55 miles an hour or in high wind. the XM/GPS sound never increases as the FM and AM does when the speed of the bike increases.

This makes pretty much the XM / GPS useless unless I am riding around the corner and not going over 55. I found the NIM module online (Dealer said, it never existed, I ahd to find it for him on HIS web site and send it to him)

By question is, if they put in the NIM harness, will the GPS/XM sound lounder at higher speeds? I have the volume turned up on 665 and the Radio itself, and I can NOT hear it at high speeds without a helmet.

with the NIM work? or is there a setting I must set for the Audio Gain to adjust for the Aux input based on speed/ambient noise?

Help? This sucks. a lot of money for this, and it just doesn't work.

Thanks much

Gerry

Old 11-11-2012, 12:11 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Wow, that is weird on many levels. Owning a RoadTech 660, I'm looking forward to the day I get an ultra so I can hook up the 660 via the NIM. I can't be believe the dealer never heard of the NIM as *I* even know about and don't own a touring bike.

Absolutely no idea if it'll help with your volume issue. Might want to post on the touring section for a bit more user experience.