General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

evo motor noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 06:49 AM
rabid rider
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default evo motor noise

Hi, I have a 97 fatboy I picked up that needed some work. It made a noise that to me sounded like lifters plus when it made the noise exhaust sounded weird like a valve was sticking, but the noise would come and go. I had a cam installed and my gear head found the previous cam gear had a chunk missing. Found most of the pieces but after putting it back together it still makes the noise my guy said the lifters were fine and he thought a oil passage was probably blocked. I'm wondering if maybe the rollers on the tappets could do this cause I read that's common on evo motor s. I want this problem fixed but don't want huge shop fees or also don't want to just throw a bunch of unneeded parts at it any ideas??? HELP

Old 11-20-2012, 07:29 AM
wraplock
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did he pull your oil pump apart and check for debree?

Old 11-20-2012, 07:49 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

When my lifter came apart, it made a chirping sound then the motor sounded like it locked up,and stalled. The bearings from the wheel came apart and pieces were thruout the motor. That happened with 49,925 miles on it.,,,

Old 11-20-2012, 08:02 AM
rabid rider
Stage IV

Wraplock no he didn't. Big cahuna, my motor still runs fine is just this noise like a sticky lifter? But comes and goes

Old 11-20-2012, 08:10 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

It is easy enough to pull your lifters and check for a bad roller or roller pin. If you know what you are doing you can have them out and the pushrods back in and adjusted ion a couple hours. May be worth the piece of mind. Pull the pushrod tubes and pushrods, lift the lifter out of the stool and check your roller and pins. Check the ears of the lifter around the pin hole for obvious cracks or chips on machined surfaces. Everything should be tight and spin smoothly. As for the oil passage, the Evo is pumping oil to the topend and the oil is flowing back down. You should have an oily mess on your hands pulling the pushrods.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:21 AM
rabid rider
Stage IV

Thanks scrmnvtwins I will definitely do that!

Old 11-20-2012, 09:57 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

You may want to invest in a 12 pt. socket to pull the lifter stools off the block. I don't really remeber but seems to me it was a 1/4" 12 pt required. Pull the individual lifter blocks or stools looking for debris, wash in fuel oil and rerassemble with 50 wt and try to maintain the lifter orientation left to right and lifter to stool, do 1 at a time. Put back the way you took out to maintain wear as original

Old 11-20-2012, 11:06 AM
rabid rider
Stage IV

Scrmnvtwin thanks again wow, I really appreciate the help I need it. This is going to be my winter project but would also like to paint it so hopefully I can get this demon figured out quickly so I can move on to tins

Old 11-20-2012, 11:31 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, a chunk of the cam broke away. (like to see that)

I would make sure there's oil flow. Broken parts can flow with the oil and then can become trapped in the pump's passages.

After having replaced my lifters and a cam upgrade a noise like lifter clatter started getting louder. I discovered the bolt on the compensator was not re-tightened correctly and was loose, I could turn it by hand. The clatter was the compensator banging from being loose.

And don't be surprised by a constant ticking which is normal. The push rods striking the rocker is common sound.

Last edited by JohnnyC; 11-20-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:41 AM
mbutton65x
Cruiser

Did he replace the cam bearing during the install?

Quick Reply: evo motor noise