General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Been looking at motorcycle jackets, and HD jackets...

Old 11-25-2012, 11:01 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Been looking at motorcycle jackets, and HD jackets...

...Really ain't up to snuff these days. Kinda disappointed. I rode a Harley jacket for more than 10 years in New York weather and never really thought about getting anything else. Even then it was made in Indonesia, and not very practical. Always riding up on me on the seat. Too rigid. Fairly good looking, though, and of course well-branded.

But these days, since I'm an old fart, I take a more comfortable ride seriously. I've got three jackets in my rotation now, none made by Harley.

A 70-80s era, Schott Perfecto, made in USA. An as-new 2-year old Vanson Continental Comet, made in USA. A 60s era Brooks cafe racer, made in USA. They all blow away the Harley coats in terms of fit, quality, utility. And were cheaper to buy.

Last edited by SoCalSoftailSlim; 11-26-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:15 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

I sport a Carhartt most of the time be it a vest or jacket. HD doesnt do much for me either.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:00 AM
JimmyDee
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

You are correct about HD branded jackets, they appear to be less quality compaired to their jackets of 20 years ago. They are much lighter in weight and lack the detail found on older versions. But the price does not reflect the change in quality. I am trying to justify a Langlitz leather jacket and with (5) 15+ year old Harley jackets hanging in the closet it is difficult to do. Sometimes you just want something new.....

Old 11-26-2012, 09:31 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

A solid Carhart would work. Cool. JD, I just went for it and sold my 15 year old Harley jacket on Ebay and used that dough to help finance my other jackets. I had been through my 20s and 30s in that HD coat and thought I would miss it. Lets just say it had been worn by more than one lady friend wearing nothing else. Memories. haha.

But I didn't know what I was missing in these vintage USA coats. The Perfecto is so durable and comfortable for riding, the Brooks looks great off the bike. I wear it even when I'm in a cage sometimes. And the Vanson is a great combo between the two. I got a great longterm lady who will gladly model all these for me too.

A Langlitz will definitely work. No branding either. Nothing wrong with the HD branding. It can look cool. But the bike is already branded and unmistakeable as a Harley. So I can take it or leave it on my own jacket.

Last edited by SoCalSoftailSlim; 11-26-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:40 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

If I did want to drop some coin on a leather jacket this is where id do it. http://www.foxcreekleather.com/mens_mensjackets

Old 11-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Got me a Harley brand jacket too. Got it years ago when I thought I just HAD to have everything Harley. It's never really been very comfy so I rarely wear it.
My best jacket is a $140 Unik with a removable liner. It's form fitting with sleeves that are actually long enough plus it's warm when it needs to be.
I like it because it doesn't say Harley (or Joe Rocket or any other BS) and it fit just like it was made for me the first time I put it on.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:23 AM
Cousy
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Some HD jackets may have suffered in quality but my wife bought me a road warrior leather with a removable hooded vest a few years ago and I love it. Very heavy, quality leather, comfortable, and has tons of pockets with plenty of vents for when it gets warm. I guess I'm not a real biker since I wear an HD branded jacket but it does the trick for me! If I ever happen upon a good leather shop where I can see and try on some other brands I might try something else but for now I can't really imagine having a jacket that I would like better than the HD.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:33 AM
GinsengSullivan
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Schott Leather All Day Every Day! We've have had our Perfecto's since early 1980's and still like new. Still so comfortable hardly know you have it on. Plus they don't "puff up" like a parachute at speed like the HD's and cheaper jackets do.

Great deals can be had for less than 1/2 price off ebay if cost is an issue.

< some info on the company >

est. 1913

"By the mid-twenties, Schott NYC was revolutionizing the way Americans dressed for the outdoors when they were the first to put a zipper on a jacket."

"In 1928, Irving Schott designed and produced the first leather motorcycle jacket."

"But as the country and the world turned its attention overseas, so did Schott. Commissioned by the US Air Force at the start of WWII, Irving Schott designed and produced a "bomber jacket" that would serve and protect Our Boys as they fought for liberty in the air over Europe and the Pacific. And on deck, servicemen kept out the cold with Schott's classic melton wool naval pea coat. Rugged and warm, these leather and wool jackets would be produced by Schott for the US Military for the next 60 years."

"Schott NYC is still owned and run by the third and fourth generations of the Schott family who still manufacture most of their clothing in the United States. In an old brick building the classic styles that have, and will continue to, connect with the American spirit are cut and sewn by the hands of trained craftspeople"

Sorry for the "ad" but just how strongly I feel about their products and customer service.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:45 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

There you go, Sullivan. It's the history of the company that has me diggin a Schott Perfecto too. In addition to the mighty fine jackets.

Here's a few camera pics of my vintage Perfecto in brown. I had a really good local leather worker sew a protective layer of leather over the belt buckle, just in case I forget to buckle it when I get on the bike. Don't want to scratch my 2013 tank. haha.

Last edited by SoCalSoftailSlim; 11-26-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:57 AM
GinsengSullivan
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
There you go, Sullivan. It's the history of the company that has me diggin a Schott Perfecto too. In addition to the mighty fine jackets.

Here's a few camera pics of my vintage Perfecto in brown. I had a really good local leather worker sew a protective layer of leather over the belt, just in case I forget to buckle it when I get on the bike. Don't want to scratch my 2013 tank. haha.

NICE! now that's what I'm talkin bout!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Been looking at motorcycle jackets, and HD jackets...