General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with HD1 customization because of EPA (So Cal)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 12:09 AM
Chris_577
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with HD1 customization because of EPA (So Cal)

My local dealer told me they can not install pipes or air cleaners ordered via the HD1 program. He said they stopped installing them due to concerns about the legality of the equipment.
Im close to ordering a Sportster Custom and Im disapointed.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:33 AM
Aussie XB12SS
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess that means Australia is next then.
Nanny state over there as well.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:55 AM
RLE
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They wont even install they're own product? That's crazy. Don't sweat though, its a 6 pack job at most. Easy mods for any level of mechanic.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:47 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

This makes no sense to me as the HD pipes, air cleaners and downloads are all either CARB approved or considered direct bolt on replacements. On a 2010 or later touring bike for example it is legal to put any after-market pipes on as long as the converter is in tact. Since HD has their own ARB approved lab, they can certify their own parts. Technically it is a violation of Federal law to remove Cats and other emission equipment in any state.

Here is what CARB says about it.

Q2. Which motorcycle parts must receive an anti-tampering exemption from ARB?

A2. VC 27156 only applies to emission-related add-on and modified parts. These are parts that are not functionally identical to an original part on the motorcycle. Some examples are fuel injection systems, re-jetting of carburetors, aftermarket catalytic converters, performance camshafts, and gear sprockets. Conversely, parts that serve as direct replacements to stock parts, like spark plugs, plug wires or air cleaner elements, do not need to be exempted. Manufacturers though must maintain records with specification data that confirm their replacement parts are indeed functionally identical. Note that exhaust systems (headers or mufflers) intended for installation on non-catalyst equipped motorcycles are also considered by ARB to be replacement parts provided all emission controls originally connected to the exhaust manifold are reconnected to the exhaust system and are functioning properly.

Non-emission-related parts are not affected by VC 27156 and do not require prior approval from ARB to be sold or installed. Examples of non-emission-related parts include storage bags / racks, mirrors, suspension components, seats, wheel rims, and decorative accessories.

Last edited by dribble; 01-07-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:52 AM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

so what? order the bike bone stock and put them on yourself.

save money, make it cooler, and f*ck those guys.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:31 AM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

This will also most likely affect bikes being traded back in to dealerships. For them to be able to resell them in California, they will need to be brought back into compliance.

Keep your old parts guys...

Old 01-07-2013, 01:06 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,630 Likes on 4,624 Posts

san diego harley won't even put a used bike on the floor that doesn't have the factory pipes

Old 01-07-2013, 01:25 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts

It won't be long till anything but stock exhaust will be illegal in Kalifornia, and I am afraid it will spread accross the country. Might even make it to Kansas. Bummers.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:34 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Kraft
It won't be long till anything but stock exhaust will be illegal in Kalifornia, and I am afraid it will spread accross the country. Might even make it to Kansas. Bummers.
%90 are illegal if they dont have the EPA/CARB stamp on them but without inspections here there is no way for them to enforce this. The highway patrol wants nothing to do with enforcement. The ARB is only enforcing offroad ag and on highway trucks rated at over 14,000GVW. Beginning in 2015 they will also be enforcing emissions regulations on any diesel tractor over 30hp fwiw.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:58 PM
CEJohnson21
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I vote for doing it yourself, but if necessary try a different dealer in SoCal.

Quick Reply: Problems with HD1 customization because of EPA (So Cal)