General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V & H Short Shots burnt swingarm

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Jeff Brokenshire
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V & H Short Shots burnt swingarm

Just completed a 2000 klm ride and halfway home, whilst stopped for a break, I noticed the chrome swingarm was "blue". On closer inspection I saw the rear axle cover was badly heat effected, also the rear braided brake hose was slightly discoloured. Will be changing the pipes as I am not happy with the heat being generated, especially blasting on to the rear brake line, wheel bearing and disc. Anyone else noticed heat effects with this model of V&H?.

It was 38 celscius that day, however I am sure if swingarm was standard black I would not have seen it.

Attached Thumbnails V & H Short Shots burnt swingarm-img_52011.jpg  
Old 01-07-2013, 09:57 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Chrome polish may fix it up

Old 01-07-2013, 09:59 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can see it on many non-black bikes posted on the forum. Unless they just washed and waxed it off.

One reason I chose pipes that point the exhaust out away from the rear.
Freedom Performance pipes.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Guessing you're running way too lean...did you have the bike tuned, or add tuner after pipe install?

Old 01-07-2013, 10:07 PM
Jeff Brokenshire
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Guessing you're running way too lean...did you have the bike tuned, or add tuner after pipe install?
I have had them on over a year but this was the first time, since fitting, that I had done 500 klms in one day. I have polished it out but I will probably replace with big radius perhaps. It has been fine on short runs. Bike was dyno'd after initial fitting.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:00 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 82 Posts

No ill effects from my short shots. I'm wondering if you are running a little lean as well.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:36 AM
Tampakingpin
Outstanding HDF Member

I picked pipes that direct some of the heat away but also had the bike tuned. I have been loving my 2-into-2 big radius. Hope you find a great solution.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:12 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Brokenshire
Just completed a 2000 klm ride and halfway home, whilst stopped for a break, I noticed the chrome swingarm was "blue". On closer inspection I saw the rear axle cover was badly heat effected, also the rear braided brake hose was slightly discoloured. Will be changing the pipes as I am not happy with the heat being generated, especially blasting on to the rear brake line, wheel bearing and disc. Anyone else noticed heat effects with this model of V&H?.

It was 38 celscius that day, however I am sure if swingarm was standard black I would not have seen it.
It's probably not heat, but the burnt carbon discoloring your chrome. On my staggerd V&H slip-ons in my sig pic, the bottom of my rear pipe gets discolored from the front one blowing the spent exhaust onto it. It's just going to happen if your exhaust exits anywhere near chrome & since you have a chrome swingarm, it's going to discolor it. When the hot carbon in the exhaust comes into contact with the chrome it will initially give it a blueish tint...if you let it build up it will become thick enough to be black. It's a pain in the *** to remove, but it does polish off.
I don't think you have an exhaust heat issue, it's just the exhaust blowing on your chrome & the carbon is discoloring it on the surface.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Best to get the exhaust exiting the bike further back. Sweet bike by the way.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:11 PM
gotnspikes
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Sorry about your issue. Loving my Big Radius. I almost went with Short Shots.

Quick Reply: V & H Short Shots burnt swingarm