General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stebel air horn defect

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 06:37 AM
SCHOONER
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Stebel air horn defect

Hi Guys ( Problem With Chrome Shell )

I bought a STEBEL AIR HORN 4 my Harley. Works GREAT. However, while riding I didn't realize the noise I heard hitting the ground was my: Chrome Shell that covers the air horn.

Its plastic (what else is new )

So my I have an un-covered air horn. I was in contact with a: Mr. Carser of the Stebel Air Horn Co. and he says for him to replace my Stebel Air Horn I have to pay for it whole and shipping which comes to $ 70.00 sum odd dollars ! ! ! NUTS.

He hasn't returned my recent emails to him.

This is purely a DEFECT on the compies part. Whatever happened to: GOOD WILL TO THE CUSTOMERS

Do you guys have any suggestions for me to get a replacement chrome shell or a new air horn. I'll settle of just the chrome shell and I'll glue it to the air horn better than what the company has done.

Attached Thumbnails Stebel air horn defect-air-horn.jpg   Stebel air horn defect-air-horn-cover.jpg  
Old 01-09-2013, 08:00 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I don't own a Stebel, I own 2 Freeway Blaster from FIAMM at $7 a piece. One is hi tone and the other is lo tone. They sound like a high end car. I've had them for 2 years now and they work great. They're 100% plastic and they don't rattle.
They don't need a compressor either but they are plenty loud and can be easily concealed. Mine are mounted behind the saddlebags, one on each side. They connect to the stock horn switch under the stock cowbell, which I kept.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:49 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,750 Likes on 6,195 Posts

Based on my experience, give it about another two weeks and the rest of it will come apart, and fall off. Then you can replace the whole thing with a car horn from an auto parts store that fits under the stock cowbell, or a Rivco or Mini-Beast.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:26 PM
imo
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try a second polite email and also search for a fax number to send the same communication as if it were the first communication.
Seems like most business models deny service or replacement with the first contact as a standard, BUT when the same customer repeats on their list they try to resolve the problem.
I have had repeated success in the past with different companies and products when i used the two email and fax/letter approach.
The companies have even paid the shipping.
Alternatively some wrinkle black spray paint might look good and the "cover" will not fall off again.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:23 PM
dfndr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for advice. I'm looking for a horn. Doesn't Mini-beast use these horns under there own covers?

Old 01-10-2013, 12:27 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dfndr
Thanks for advice. I'm looking for a horn. Doesn't Mini-beast use these horns under there own covers?
Yes. The Stebel and the WoLo Badboy I'm using are mirror images of each other.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:22 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,335 Likes on 3,273 Posts

cheaper at Harbor freight and yopu can paint them with chrome paint or all black.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:17 PM
screaminroadking
Road Master
Received 139 Likes on 64 Posts

I have one as well. Love the sound although sometimes it seems to be missing that dual tone. The plastic chrome SUCKS I'm pretty thorough and I like a clean bike. The whole top and most of the sides of the horn have basically dulled to the point of almost seeing the raw plastic underneath. I have since painted the top and sides black to cover the worn parts. When it ****'s the bed I will get another. It was only around $80.00 and Wholo is even less I think. Sure beats the hell out of the factory horn, and it has helped draw attention to the lane drifters.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:24 PM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 345 Likes on 175 Posts

You guys know of course that you can take your stock horn off the bracket and rubber mount these things in the stock location? I did that and it's been there for 4 years/40,000 miles. It still honks. Yeah, the plastic chrome faded a bit over time.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:56 PM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can ditch the plastic chrome forever by mounting the loud part under the original HD cow bell.

Separate the Mini Stebel’s horn & compressor. Mount the horn on the original horn bracket, & secure the compressor behind the battery box. The air line between the 2 sections can run under the tank with the wires.

Here is a link that will help. http://www.gadgetjq.com/airhorn.htm

Attached Thumbnails Stebel air horn defect-strebelhornmodzt5.jpg  

Last edited by hollowpoint; 01-10-2013 at 09:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Stebel air horn defect