General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Current HD Finance Rates

Old 01-27-2013, 10:02 AM
Sagido
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having a good credit score is the most important thing in getting a low rate. Credit Unions will always offer the best rates. I got 2.49 on my bike in November, after a three minute call. Made it much easier to negotiate with the dealer when I walked in the door. Dealers don't care if you use cash or finance, they get paid either way.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:13 AM
Fat Boy Tim
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After I was a victim of Idenity Theft I got a new rule "If I cant pay for it I don't need it". Plus you get a great deal when you pay cash. Guess it might be an age thing.....

Old 01-28-2013, 04:47 AM
jjames
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sagido
Having a good credit score is the most important thing in getting a low rate. Credit Unions will always offer the best rates. I got 2.49 on my bike in November, after a three minute call. Made it much easier to negotiate with the dealer when I walked in the door. Dealers don't care if you use cash or finance, they get paid either way.
They definately do care, but they won't admit it. They make the majority of their money financing or pushing whatever the in house financing is. If your paying cash or using your own financing they're losing a big chunk of money that they could be getting with a customer using their bank. If you want the best price then negotiate, get it in writing signed by sales manager and then tell them you have your own financing, otherwise they'll try to tack on some of that lost income in what they're willing to negotiate.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:58 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by logdon17
Hahaha, 24%?? I would have at least wrapped him on the face for even suggeseting that rate. And then walked out and made sure anyone I knew would never return to that disaster of a dealer. At this point I think I will skip the new bike and put some money into the bikes I already have.
So....you would have hit the guy in the face over your bad credit? That makes sense. The dealer isn't who sets the APR. The bank tells them what rate at what term an individual "qualifies" for. When someone comes back with that high of a rate, the dealer has 0 impact on the rate. In this guys case his cu beat HD by a lot. Eaglemark reports to all 3 bureaus every month, and gets your info from all three. Most banks and cu's only use one. A lot of folks have actually said their credit rating increased after getting a loan through eaglemark. That is why. As long as you pay your bills, it goes on your credit monthly. Most places only update every 90 days

Old 01-28-2013, 10:01 AM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by brettnbama
So....you would have hit the guy in the face over your bad credit? That makes sense. The dealer isn't who sets the APR. The bank tells them what rate at what term an individual "qualifies" for. When someone comes back with that high of a rate, the dealer has 0 impact on the rate. In this guys case his cu beat HD by a lot. Eaglemark reports to all 3 bureaus every month, and gets your info from all three. Most banks and cu's only use one. A lot of folks have actually said their credit rating increased after getting a loan through eaglemark. That is why. As long as you pay your bills, it goes on your credit monthly. Most places only update every 90 days
Hold up- I HAVE seen where crooked finance departments try to sucker someone with decent credit into signing onto a higher rate loan than they should have. This is because that loan is worth more kickback. Often a dealer will pull loan terms from several banks right off the bat, then when you shoot the crappiest deal down first they leave the room to "go to bat for you". In actuality they just get a coffee and a smoke and walk back in with the second crappiest deal. Remember- a loan rate is as important to negotiate as price, warranty, etc. It's easy pickings for them because if you're a sucker you're drained at that stage of the game, and now you're in a different room facing a fresh adversary.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:07 AM
_Gir_
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by JWD
Check your local credit union. If your not a member join one. You'll never get better rates anywhere else. I would never go back to a bank or to HD for financing again
Agreed. I got less than 3% last year.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:14 PM
Rowedog
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harley Davidson Financial gave me 2% on a brand new bike. Went to trade it in on a used bike and they wanted to slam me with 13% so I went to Navy Federal and got 4%.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:00 PM
Punkin49
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I just went to my dealer to trade in my bike for a used bike. Looking to finance about $8000. He ran my credit of 680 and said they could finance for 10-12% I said I think I'll pass and went to my bank and got 7%

Old 01-28-2013, 04:47 PM
dloreski
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by logdon17
Been thinking about picking up a brand new bike (all my bikes have been craigslist specials) but do not want to pay some insane amount of interest. I have noticed most car dealers offer 0% interest but have not seen that from Harley. Has anyone seen this rate lately or should I head back to Craigslist? If it matters, my credit score would qualify for top tier rates.
You know, I found the finance topic very interesting.
2 dealers told me that even with excellent credit that I would still have to pay 9 or 10 percent.
When I got the best price on my bike from a third dealer, he got me financed through United Bank out of Charleston, WV for 2.9%.
If you have excellent credit and don't like what a dealer tells you, definitely try another.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:35 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Loc_Tite
Hold up- I HAVE seen where crooked finance departments try to sucker someone with decent credit into signing onto a higher rate loan than they should have. This is because that loan is worth more kickback. Often a dealer will pull loan terms from several banks right off the bat, then when you shoot the crappiest deal down first they leave the room to "go to bat for you". In actuality they just get a coffee and a smoke and walk back in with the second crappiest deal. Remember- a loan rate is as important to negotiate as price, warranty, etc. It's easy pickings for them because if you're a sucker you're drained at that stage of the game, and now you're in a different room facing a fresh adversary.
You are right to a point, but one of the instances someone mentioned on here was absurd...claimed a really low apr at their credit unit, but 24.99 at the dealer, come on. Done people do forget that a dealership is a business, retail is not a bad word. We all ride them and think we should get them cheap as possible, but it is the dealer's livelihood. Have I been in bad dealerships? Sure...but not all are. They are all out to make a profit though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Current HD Finance Rates