General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is $2400 too much for an extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 06:25 PM
Sterling Archer aka Duchess
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is $2400 too much for an extended warranty?

I have a 2011 Dyna Street Bob with 6736 miles on it. I just bought it a month ago and it is under factory warranty until June 2013. I was considering purchasing the extended service plan in May. I wanted to get the 5 year plan with the additional tire & wheel coverage. I was quoted a price of $2364, $465 of which is from the additional tire and wheel coverage. Does this price seem high to anyone else on here? I have searched over the forums a bit and from what I have read this price does seem high to me. Any opinions? Thanks in advance!

Old 01-29-2013, 06:33 PM
scottwilliamson
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have never bought nor will I ever buy an extended warranty. That being said, that price seems rather extreme.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:40 PM
deuceriderusa
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Waaay too much.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:46 PM
billfitt
Cruiser

I bought the ext warranty with my new 2010 heritage. I got a refund after 2 yrs because of the headaches.

I needed new tires and I am able to take them off the bike myself and drop them at an independent shop to swap out tire for me I think 45.00.

I called the dealer just to ck the price for them and they wanted I think 60.00 and they mentioned that if the bearing where not any good they would not return the wheel to me without repairing it. I mentioned the ext warranty and they would only honor it if they had the bike and removed the wheel themselves. The cost was something like 300.00 to remove the wheel and replace the tire. I know some say to flatten the tire and have the warranty cover it but that's just not me.

I understand that the dealer position but I wasn't willing to be tied to the dealer for repairs that I can handle or want a local shop do for me.

There's more to the purchase than just the money.

Bill

Old 01-29-2013, 07:07 PM
KGlideVivid
Road Captain

I never bought an extended, figured they are just another rip off. That being said, I know that some people who put tons of miles on their bikes do like them. I'm sure you'll get a variety of opinions here. Good luck.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:12 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,630 Likes on 4,624 Posts

by around a grand!!!

Old 01-29-2013, 07:15 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

I don't understand why anyone would buy one. You are prepaying, in current funds, for things you may (or may not) need years from now. You will never get out of them what you pay for them which is why dealers (both car and motorcycle) push them so hard. It is just extra dealer profit.

If you want "peace of mind" (the reason most people use), put the money you would pay for the extended warranty in a savings account and hold it only for future repairs. You'll end up way ahead.

Last edited by TKDKurt; 01-29-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:29 PM
zworld
Tourer

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
I don't understand why anyone would buy one. You are prepaying, in current funds, for things you may (or may not) need years from now. You will never get out of them what you pay for them which is why dealers (both car and motorcycle) push them so hard. It is just extra dealer profit.

If you want "peace of mind" (the reason most people use), put the money you would pay for the extended warranty in a savings account and hold it only for future repairs. You'll end up way ahead.
What he said, this is just common sense. Make this a test, put 2400 dollars in your savings account. Then see if you wind up using it! Bet not.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:36 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Well, I got 7 year with wheel and tire for 1525 at Legacy Harley in Ill. So, youre way way too high

Old 01-29-2013, 07:40 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

To me, if you have the extra money for something that could/might happen to it 3-4 years down the road, no, you don't need it.

But, if you don't have the extra money, I'd get it. With today's labor costs, parts prices, $2400 won't go far. Sure, you may never use or need it. But who knows? Better safe than sorry is what I believe.

Quick Reply: Is $2400 too much for an extended warranty?