General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride the Rocky Mountains or the Blue Ridge Mountains?

Old 01-30-2013, 10:30 AM
sobluemf
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are talking apples vs oranges. Have ridden both. Cool deal about the east coast hills is they are close together and can be ridden in a shorter period of time. Rember in the summer months the east coast hills can get very hot. I like the mountains out west in the summer and the east coast hills in the early fall or early spring to beat the heat and traffic. Once school lets out the east coast hills get quite a bit more traffic.

In a nut shell the West mountains are huge but he East hills have a charm that every rider should experience!

Old 01-30-2013, 10:33 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Personally I like syn.........

Old 01-30-2013, 10:37 AM
103megawatt
Cruiser

Rockies all the way. However since you have not done the Blue Ridge then you should go do that. IMO every motorcycle rider should ride the very technical and fun dragon hwy 129. The Blue Ridge area has some very nice roads, its just not expansive and vast as the Rockies are.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:22 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

We would likely start out of Denver and try to ride most of CO and maybe into Utah.

Plus I would think that it has to be less crowded from a number of bikes on the road standpoint.

I think right now that the Rockies are winning. But the Dragon does have is appeal.

Your responses are very helpful. Keep them coming.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:35 AM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

I did the Rockies last year and it was great. However, because you have not ridden the Smokies, Tail of the Dragon and Blue Ridge, I would recommend heading southeast. Tail of the Dragon is cool, no doubt, but on your way there, you may want to get on U.S. 421 in Bristol, TN and ride it east to Mountain City, TN. It's 22 miles called the "Snake". It's a ride to remember - just as good as the Dragon in my book and twice as long. Good luck with the decision.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:54 PM
Xube
Road Warrior

(And don't forget about the oldest mountains in the country- Arkansas!)

Old 01-30-2013, 01:13 PM
R-Jay
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to look at the mountains, Rockies, if you want to have fun in the twisties, Blue ridge.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:36 PM
Car Doc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Twistnride
Ridden both. Rockies hands down.Gimme' altitude,and 14,000 foot peaks all around,anyday. Hell,the Blue Ridge "Mountains" aren't even as high as the Plains in Colorado. Try Hwy 9 outa' Steamboat,thru North Park,south to Hwy 40.South on 40 to Hwy 24,then catch 285 thru Middle Park,and then south thru the San Luis Valley down to Pagosa Springs and ride the San Juans. Hard to get below 9,000 feet the whole trip.Have a ball.
Nice! Very similar to a 4 day route we are planning end of July the San Juans, Durango, Silverton, million dollar hwy etc all over the continental divide . I rode to Denver last year on a family emergency only had 1 day extra to ride so we went over Independance pass and Glenwood canyon in early June it was awesome. 36 degrees at the hotel in Woodland Park and 70 at the top of the pass it was amazing.

My vote is Colorado course being a native I am partial.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:44 PM
glenalt
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For 7 years I lived 10 minutes from the northern beginning of the parkway in Waynesboro. It's great riding but it's a lot like riding in a bowling alley until you come to a turnout. Colorado is much nicer with many more vistas and views. It's just my opinion though.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:27 PM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior

Received 313 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by R-Jay
If you want to look at the mountains, Rockies, if you want to have fun in the twisties, Blue ridge.
Agree. My dad was from Colorado...I lived there 10 years. Beautiful. Mom from the Carolinas. I've been in both. The altitude argument always cracks me up. The Smokies are 5 hours from sea level. The Rockies START a mile above sea level. To me, once in the mountains, not much difference. I like getting on Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia and riding it all way to Maggie Valley, then start all the great rides in the area. The Arizona, New Mexico & Utah mesa's and desert runs are unique.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ride the Rocky Mountains or the Blue Ridge Mountains?