General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride the Rocky Mountains or the Blue Ridge Mountains?

Old 01-30-2013, 05:53 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Advice and comparison seems right on target. I've been fortunate to have ridden both and will be riding some of the Rockies again this year.

One thing to consider since your trip is in June is the weather. Don't be shocked if you run into snow in the Rockies and be prepared to alter your route if you do. Also, pack plenty of cold weather gear as it can get cold at elevation.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:08 PM
Ray Lloyd
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

I vote Colorado.....

Been to both places you are considering many times, Colorado at least 20 times.

There are thousands of scenic roads in Colorado with vast elevation changes, twisties, long sweeping curves, hundreds of miles of roads next to rushing rivers, mountain vistas, etc etc.

Some sleepers in Colorado that see very little if any tourist traffic: Rt 14 north of Fort Collins; Route 7 / Route 72 out of Estes Park to Idaho Springs; Route 133 / Route 82 south of Glenwood Springs; and the north rim road of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison is absolutely out of this world.

If you are doing Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park, plan on leaving your hotel around 5:30 in the morning. You will not see another vehicle until you start down the other side. When you turn around to go back to Estes, you will see the miles of "late sleepers" in lines trying to get up the road behind all the campers and slow drivers. You'll hit town for an early lunch in uncrowded restaurants. You can relax in the hot tub without any screaming kids, they are all in the cars in lines in the mountains.

Head out for an early dinner too, and you will again avoid the crowds. You'll want to sleep early so you can head out early again and avoid the crowds each day!

Good luck on your trip, whether it be the Dragon or Colorado!

Old 01-30-2013, 06:11 PM
PLHbrian
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both are great rides but Colorado is awesome especially the southwest from Durango to ouray to Cortez. Can't wait to go back. Like others have said bring cold weather and rain gear. Weather changes in an instant. On one leg of my ride I road from royal gorge - 80 degrees that morning to Breckenridge and ran into a few miles of heavy snow along route 9 at the higher elevation. That kind of fun will not happen in the blue ridge mountains in June.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:31 PM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pumba11
Okay fair Glide2meetu, but precious time we want to spend on maximum fun.

We also don't care much for crowds.
Well then your answer is the Rockies,
Colorado River Headwaters Byway
Dinosaur Diamond Prehistoric Highway
Frontier Pathways Scenic and Historic Byway
Gold Belt Tour Scenic and Historic Byway
Grand Mesa Scenic and Historic Byway
Lariat Loop Scenic and Historic Byway
San Juan Skyway
Santa Fe Trail
Top of the Rockies
Trail of the Ancients
Trail Ridge Road/Beaver Meadow Road
Alpine Loop
Cache La Poudre-North Park Scenic and Historic Byway
Collegiate Peaks Byway
Flat Tops Trail Scenic Byway
Guanella Pass Road
Highway of Legends
Los Caminos Antiguos
Mount Evans Scenic Byway
Pawnee Pioneer Trails
Peak to Peak Scenic and Historic Byway
Silver Thread Scenic Byway
South Platte River Trail
Unaweep/Tabeguache Scenic and Historic Byway
West Elk Loop

Old 01-30-2013, 08:12 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Fantastic...fantastic advice! I appreciate all the great suggestions.

But I will certainly take some more.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:26 PM
WolfDog
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rockies hands down.
Great air, cool not hot, excellent roads, old west towns....
Leadville, Breck,Steamboat, ride all the way to Wyoming.

I'm sure the Blue ridge is nice, spent a lot of time in Kentucky and eastern Tennessee, and nothing compares to the Rockies.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:02 PM
farmerstu
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you haven't been on the brp or the telico tenn. area i'd say go that way. been both ways and this year it's back to the rockys,but not a second do i regret the trip southeast. it's i destination everyrider should do at least once.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:38 PM
LebanonRider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having been to both, I'd favor the Rockies, but, if you haven't ridden in the Smokies, it would seem logical to do it at least once to see for yourself. The BRP and Tail of the Dragon are two of the most famous motorcycle roads in the US and should be ridden at least once just so you know what everyone else is talking about. If you do a little research, there are thousands of miles of great twisty roads all over the area, so if it's pure riding you're looking for, there's plenty to be found. Next year you can decide for yourself if you prefer the Rockies or the Smokies and plan accordingly.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:47 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Doc
Nice! Very similar to a 4 day route we are planning end of July the San Juans, Durango, Silverton, million dollar hwy etc all over the continental divide . I rode to Denver last year on a family emergency only had 1 day extra to ride so we went over Independance pass and Glenwood canyon in early June it was awesome. 36 degrees at the hotel in Woodland Park and 70 at the top of the pass it was amazing.

My vote is Colorado course being a native I am partial.
I live in Colorado, and can vouch for the San Juan mountains. I've ridden all over this state, and the San Juan mountains are spectacular.

That said, since I ride here all year long, this spring it's the Smokies for me.

I want to see as much of this great country as I can on two wheels, so my vote is for the new stuff.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:43 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Pumba11
Okay fair Glide2meetu, but precious time we want to spend on maximum fun.

We also don't care much for crowds.
I spent a week in the NC, VA, TN, and WV mountains and for ther most part avoided the tourist rides Dragons tail etc. Whit a good current relatively high deatail map and the GPS, made my own rides. Was rewarded by great scenery, little traffic, and fond memories. I also like to ride away from the crowds. Te exception was going through the Park, still bunches of people there, but once I got through, made my own way.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ride the Rocky Mountains or the Blue Ridge Mountains?