General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail to a Roadking. Does anyone regret going bigger? Touring for old men?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 02:32 PM
Fatboy103
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softail to a Roadking. Does anyone regret going bigger? Touring for old men?

Have a Fatboy 103. I'm still younger and go through women like beer. Ride the wheels off this thing and love it. Is a bit uncomfortable when riding two up. Road the King and while I love it feels a bit less fun to ride. Feels more like a cruiser than a fun bike. My Fatboy rips and is much more fun to tare around on. Should I wait three years and get a King when I pay the Fatboy off? That way I would have two bikes. Something also tells me that I women won't find a King to be as hot as my fatboy. Have been told many times that my gf's love my bike bc it's not one of those old man bikes. To each his own I maybe I should hold on to this and just get a new bike in 3 years.

Most of my riding is bar hopping to a max of 5 hours distance. I ride two up alot around town and on shorter trips. Really want cruise control, ABS for the rain, and a bike that doesn't vibrate my teeth lose at 80 mph, but maybe for now I should stick with the younger guys bike. Anyone notice a loss in looks on a touring bike?

Old 01-30-2013, 02:38 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stop picking up the large women and the two up riding experience won't be as uncomfortable...

Old 01-30-2013, 02:45 PM
Fatboy103
Intermediate

hahahaha It's more the fact that i'm 250 pounds.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:52 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

I'm an old man, so take what I say with a grain of salt. But after you get used to the greater weight of the Road King you will find out that it is just as much fun to ride. It handles great and hugs the corners. (And it will handle you and your bulky women. )

Old 01-30-2013, 02:56 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I'm an old guy with a FXS Blackline and I'd never buy a dresser/bagger or anything bigger than what I have. One, I don't have the room and I just don't see me on one. I'm very happy with what I have. Weight's not an issue, since I'm 210 and my wife is half that.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:53 PM
Adrian Thompson
Cruiser

I'm 26 and ride my King (sig pic) like it's stolen. It's a great, comfy, touring bike for distance- and an awesome street brawler when I want it to be. It's all due to everything being detachable and customizable. My wife and I can ride comfortably for hundreds of miles when it's all dressed up. I'm no expert, but I'm also pretty sure it drops plenty of panties.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:52 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,473 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Well; here's a true story--you decide.

Went to Zephyrhills bike night back a few months ago. Wanted to take my Fatboy because I was selling it & wanted to have it there with a "for sale" sign on it. My GF got on the back, we left & about 3 blocks from the house, she said she was very uncomfortable & "Could we go back & get the other bike?"(RoadKing Classic)
So we did. And her panties drop faster than evening temps in Alaska.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:04 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrian Thompson
but I'm also pretty sure it drops plenty of panties.
I'd get that hole fixed in the luggage then...

Old 01-30-2013, 05:31 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I went from a road king classic to a ultra limited to a 2013 softail heritage. I prefer the softails over the tourers because it is easier to ride around the city because the weight is carried down low and there is no top heaviness. The b engine is fantastic and with a stage one, exhaust, and tuner you can reach 100mph with no vibrations. Last but not least the feeling of sitting in the bike makes you feel connected to the road somehow. It is hard to explain but it is like your floating along rather than riding along. If I were doing a lot of touring I would have kept the limited but I do mostly back road cruising and so I got IMO the best cruiser in the world. I love my FLSTC and the only bike I would trade her in for is another FLSTC. Good luck with your decision and stay away from the big girls. They're murder on those softail shocks

Old 01-30-2013, 05:38 PM
DYNAM1C
Cruiser

pretty sure the "old man bike" the girls talkin about are ones with the fairings (street, road, electra glides). honestly, most girls wont be able to tell the difference between a king and a fat boy if u mod them with the same stuff... i think kings with some high apes would look just as good if not better than a fat boy, but then again i guess its all subjective.

Quick Reply: Softail to a Roadking. Does anyone regret going bigger? Touring for old men?