General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New aftermarket compensator for 07+ TC on its way!!!

Old 02-04-2013, 10:09 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts
Talking New aftermarket compensator for 07+ TC on its way!!!

Looks like a new compensator is on its way to the market at a competitive $$$!

Last edited by soft 02; 02-09-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:10 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

From Darkhorse:

"Now that our dampened direct drive sprocket has hit the internet I should comment to dispell some myths and put out as much fact as I can:

The composite of our bushings were designed and developed by a company that makes many couplings and dampners throughout many industries including the automotive industry and knows all the dynamics of this style bushing in harsh enviroments, this was key to our continued developement of this product. This bushing design and composition is light years ahead of Sturgis models of the 80s.

The design of the compartment they are captured in is not an accident. This style bushing needs to act essentially like a liquid and move in the direction that we want in order to reduce heat build up, if the compartment is too small the material actually has to work too hard, attempting to compress and have no where to go which creates excess heat and will cause material to breakdown, yes. I relate it to a run-flat instance on a tire, the rubber in a tire that is flat ends up working too hard and without air in the tire(air is essentially the heat sink that dissapates heat build-up), the tire overheats and the rubber in the carcass fails.

Currently we only have stock gearing to enable us to have a constant throughout our testing (not yet available to the open market btw, sorry), but have plans on a selection of gear choices primarily driven by input from many at the show, inc. Bert Baker and Bobby Woods. We believe this sprocket should be made available to dealers in a number of gearing choices by a June 1st release date.

We have a # of different durameters of our bushings to accomodate different ranges of HP #s and riding styles. In our testing stages these are water jetted, but the molding company that we are working with will be molding them after all designs are solidified by final analysis of testing. The cost of the bushings (primary wear item) we expect to be $24.95 retail and our goal is achieving a 75,000 mile life span. Regardless, they are an easy change in chassis if wanting to change durameters of bushings or for sevice.

This dampened sprocket system has been in various stages for well over a year now, but we must give the market our best effort in durability and quality. Having all of our patent applications in place we decided to unvail at the dealer show to gain everyone's input so we can give the market what they want in a timely manner. It has proved to me to be quieter and smoother that anything I have experienced on the market today, with quiet starts & smooth operation throughout rpm ranges in a lot of different applications so far in our testing."

Old 02-04-2013, 10:11 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

More from Darkhorse:

"A couple more cool facts about our system:

It is 10% lighter than the SE/Stock compensator system. This was very important in delivering a smoother overall drivetrain.

It is balanced by design because it is a fully machined piece. We do have the ability to easily perform a precision balance on our unit as our spin balancer is perfectly set-up to do this procedure. We do not plan on doing this on each production unit, but have the capabilities to for the person who wants everything possible in the world of balance not currently available on the market.

The oil impregnated bushing on drive sprocket will allow a smooth integration between drive hub and sprocket to inhibit galling between the only 2 moving objects in our system.

The dampener bushing composition has been designed to withstand all known (at least that I know of) oils used in primaries including ATF. Cinci being a dealer show that was close to dealer pricing, we have a projected retail price of $289.95 (+/- $5) FYI

Hope that helps in answering some other questions that arose throughout this past weekend.
Thanks again, John"

Old 02-04-2013, 10:30 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

I must say that my SE has been doing fine for 60k but if it should fail I hope these are available!

Old 02-04-2013, 11:51 PM
piesik650
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want

Old 02-05-2013, 08:23 AM
ironjunkie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm In!

I'll be all over this when it hit's the market! Not that happy with my new SE Compensator install. Don't see any metal to metal contact on this new unit!

Old 02-05-2013, 08:26 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Soon as i get to a real computer ill post pics of HD "upgrade" for the SE unit. Basicly its a $400 oiler for the comp.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:26 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

yeah im pretty excited that Darkhorse is putting together

Old 02-05-2013, 08:29 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by stupid_rope
yeah im pretty excited that Darkhorse is putting together
Wait till you see HD's pathetic solution.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:11 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
Wait till you see HD's pathetic solution.
Please post it if anybody has access?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New aftermarket compensator for 07+ TC on its way!!!