General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 08:14 AM
Robert Petrone
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Commander

Hi I am new to the posting part but have been reading for a long time now..Here is my question..Does anyone use a Power Commander? I had a service done yesterday and was told I am running lean. (plugs were grey). This is a stock 2011 Ultra. I asked what can I do to fix this problem. They told me to get it dyno'ed...$800. also change exhaust and air cleaner at the same time....total cost about $1700. I asked about Power Commander, he siad they are useless, has a box in the shop full of them people have taken off. What I am wanting to know is how can I get better performance without going the dealerships route. Funds are limited so any info/advice would really help me make decision. Thanks in advance

Old 02-16-2013, 08:19 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

First welcome to the forum. Limited is a very nicer ride.

I have been running the Power Commander for about 40K miles and have been very happy with it. There are other options for after market ECMs and inline devices and you will get many opinions on which is the best.

I have not ever had my bike dynoed and dont plan on doing it.

If I were you, I would call Fuel Moto on Monday and talk to them. Take a look at the power vision and the power commander.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:36 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

The bike is set up from the factory to run lean. Usually the plugs are white from being too lean, not gray. I wouldn't do anything as long as it's running good. If you are happy with the power the bike has and don't want to spend close to $2000 to make it run richer (and faster) you might want to look into one of the versions of an XIED. It's a device that fools your computer to send more fuel into the mix. They cost about $100 and are easy to install. Check them out at http://www.nightrider.com/

Old 02-16-2013, 01:42 PM
mdp
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$800 for a dyno tune? You can get the PowerVision with AutoTune Pro for $800 and AutoTune your bike any time you want! You will have a built in dyno tuner for as long as you own your bike.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:43 PM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Petrone
I asked about Power Commander, he siad they are useless, has a box in the shop full of them people have taken off. What I am wanting to know is how can I get better performance without going the dealerships route. Funds are limited so any info/advice would really help me make decision. Thanks in advance
Nothing wrong with your bike running lean. That's the way they arrive from the factory.

If you're asking for advice, then my advice would be find a tuner in town, independent shop or otherwise, that knows how to tune using either a TTS Mastertune or Power Commander V, which can be purchased from Jamie at Fuel Moto, who is a sponsor of this site. Personally, I'd opt for the TTS Mastertune. Nothing wrong with a Power Commander (PC) V, it's just a matter of technical and customer support. Steve Cole, inventor of the TTS Mastertune, spends alot of hours on technical forums helping people out with his product, and it does what it claims to do. Even "Doc" Weaver, owner of Docs Performance Tuning endorses it. Who's he? Arguably one of the best bike tuners in the United States.

As far as PC V's sitting all around you're wrenches shop, here's what one gentleman said on the Harley tech site I also spend my time at:

I use all the tuning products you mentioned. PCIII/V/SESPT/TTS Mastertune. And I work at a Dealership. If your local Tuner says he "cant" tune with TTS but can tune with SESPT. find another tuner. If you are competent in SEPST or old style SERT and claim you "cant" tune a TTS, the fact is this individual is probably not competent in any of the tuning products. Any Tuner in this industry worth his salt knows about TTS Mastertune. And, at least amongst tuners who keep themselves up to date and educated about the latest products, there is no debate about the best product and support. TTS wins hands down. SESPT is still suffering from stability issues and "smart tune" does not work as advertised.
Spend your money right the first time around.

Last edited by Weevil; 02-16-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:50 PM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 82 Posts

I paid way less than $800 for the Direct Link tuner and a dyno tune. That's way too much.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:32 PM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Petrone
Hi I am new to the posting part but have been reading for a long time now..Here is my question..Does anyone use a Power Commander? I had a service done yesterday and was told I am running lean. (plugs were grey). This is a stock 2011 Ultra. I asked what can I do to fix this problem. They told me to get it dyno'ed...$800. also change exhaust and air cleaner at the same time....total cost about $1700. I asked about Power Commander, he siad they are useless, has a box in the shop full of them people have taken off. What I am wanting to know is how can I get better performance without going the dealerships route. Funds are limited so any info/advice would really help me make decision. Thanks in advance
Well since they have a box full of Power Commanders in the shop, ask them for one at no charge, download the software & a canned map from DynoJet, get any USB cable and you're good to go.

Last edited by White Ice; 02-16-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:24 AM
Poolie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I self installed a Heavy Breather, Monster Ovals and a PCV on my 2010 RKC and they worked extremely well together. Didn't bother with a dyno, just downloaded the recommended map and went for it. Apart from the power/torque uplift the biggest difference was the lower temps.

I only went with the dealer installed Stage 1 upgrade on my 2013 Fat Boy because I didn't have the time to do it myself, otherwise I would have stuck with the PCV.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:26 AM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

Find a different dealer...

Old 02-17-2013, 10:34 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by big papa AZ
Find a different dealer...
This is my advice as well.......I have a PC5 on the 2008 bike (installed 2009) and it runs flawlessly.

Quick Reply: Power Commander