General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New grips - to glue or not to glue

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 05:26 AM
Rdgray
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haven't used anything on grips in the past and had no problems, but I may try the hairspray thing when I get my new grips for the ultra.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:44 AM
OLDDEADEYE
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I always glue. Although I've never noticed it, I evidently twist on my left grip when riding, my stock grip even started moving. So I don't wish to find out what's gonna happen if I don't glue.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:54 AM
semiret
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for all the replys.

I am going to try the masking tape solution. Ran a spiral over the end of the handlebar and slid the grip on. Seems to provide enough friction to keep the grip from spinning freely, yet it feels like it'll come off when I want it to.

If, over time, I need to try something else, then it's hairspray to the rescue.

Steve

Old 02-20-2013, 02:57 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by mjrobinson
No offense but I believe you are wrong. The left grip is held by the housing. There is a collar on the grip that goes inside the housing. Tighten the housing and it is not coming off. I've put 3 sets of grips on and never needed glue. However the hairspray thing is not a bad idea.
Must be on the newer bikes-I've changed grips on every bike I've ever had,and never saw one held on by the housing.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:06 PM
aquadave
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridewva
I stole the wife's hair spray 10 years ago and still have it in my cabinet for installing grips. It acts as a lube while wet making it easy to slide on then dries within a couple hours to hold well, yet with enough effort it will release .
That's a new on me too but a good idea

Old 07-22-2014, 07:27 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER73
Your right, but, the grip twists a little and that drives me nuts.
Originally Posted by TheAddiction
I've always used hairspray on grips since my early days riding. I'm running kraton grips hairsprayed and safety wired like we use to do on our offroad bikes. If you don't at least use some kind of adhesive your asking for trouble. Ever had a grip come off in your hand?
Originally Posted by Weevil
I've got the Kuryakyn ISO grips and have been riding with the left grip unglued for about 2 years. Doesn't bother me a bit. I don't see any type of "safety" issue to it. And like others have and will say, hair spray is the way to go when installing them (Aqua Net comes to mind).

I'll tell you about the ISO's; the insides of the grips are slicker than owl **** and hard to clean. Almost like a light packing oil inside that's on the rubber padding. Which is why the left side grip on my bike is still not glued up. I'll fix it one day.
The last time I glued my Kuryakyn ISO grips I used the Black Widow adhesive they included with the grips when I bought them. It held fine, and that was the older style Kuryakyn ISO that didnt have the end that fit into the switch housing. However, I didnt like the fact that I couldnt get the grip off the bar when I wanted to change handlebars, and these grips are expensive!

So, I have the new Kuryakyn ISO Grips in Black that do fit into the switch housing, and am leaning toward the hair spray method to install them. Have any of you guys experienced any rotational movement after installing these grips using hair spray? Please include the type of hair spray you used with reply. It looks like Aquanet seems to be preferred.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:18 PM
KYBill
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

No glue on my replacement grips, no evidence the original grips were glued. Neither set was at all loose.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:30 PM
wwiiavfan
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by semiret
Thank you for all the replys.

I am going to try the masking tape solution. Ran a spiral over the end of the handlebar and slid the grip on. Seems to provide enough friction to keep the grip from spinning freely, yet it feels like it'll come off when I want it to.

If, over time, I need to try something else, then it's hairspray to the rescue.

Steve
Electrical tape is more durable. Spiral wrap enough times that you have to "thread" the grip on. Worked good for me!

Old 07-22-2014, 09:04 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KYBill
No glue on my replacement grips, no evidence the original grips were glued. Neither set was at all loose.
I mounted em up without anything and hoped they would be tight enough not to require glue, but they dont. I will need to do something and am leaning toward hairspray. Just wanted feedback from the guys who used hairspray to mount the clutch side grip.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:53 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by wwiiavfan
Electrical tape is more durable. Spiral wrap enough times that you have to "thread" the grip on. Worked good for me!

This is what I do and never a problem.

Quick Reply: New grips - to glue or not to glue