General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this issue of respect?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 05:56 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What is this issue of respect?

Hello all,

I hate to say it, but I watched the Laughing dvelis again the other night and they had this ride where a former officer showed up, no cut or colors and as it turns out he was asked to leave the club for one reaosn or another, the culminating factor for the show is that the former officer is now starting his own club and the Laughing devils where all up set and were going on and on about respect and how dare he start his own club, what slap in the face. Well whatever... I like to see the different bikes. but....

I guess my question is, not being in a club, or wanting to be, what is the deal with the issue of respect? What exactly are they talking about? Just from experience, which I have very little of when it comes to MC clubs the so called 1% clubs; however, in the two times of my life I have been around an MC, the conversation was not focused around other clubs and respect. More than likely, I was not privy to any private conversations becuase I was not in the club, but I had a good time, and have been invited for the last two years to go back to a big event for one of them, although I have not.
I can understand to a certain extent becuase of territory issues that 1% clubs could and might have issues. but clubs that are not 1% dont claim to have any stake in things, or maybe they do. Why are these guys going on and on about respect.
I might be out of line here but I thought repsect is something your earn by the nature of your person. Respect is not freely given. It seems to me that these tool bags on the show want something out of life that they are missing.
I guess the show has got its hooks in me since I like to see the bikes they are riding, but the whole respect thing baffles me. What exactly are they talking about? Ok, rant done, but Be nice, I'm only interested in what this nature of respect is that they demand, I am not bringing down or talking ill of MC clubs of any kind. and YES, I do understand that is a TV show and is more than likely not the reality, and furthermore if this whole post is moot by the issue of it being comlete falicy, then just say that it is excatly that; complete falicy.

Last edited by Timmy B; 02-21-2013 at 05:58 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:10 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 316 Likes on 181 Posts

It's T.V.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:20 AM
TacoMaster
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread. Would read again.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:19 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,072 Likes on 2,556 Posts

Respect is no one wants to be snubbed by anyone. And the shows a fake.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:26 AM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't ask me...

I'm just another fat old man riding around with a smile on my face. (Mostly because I'm out of the house at last!). I can't watch those shows, no matter how much I like bikes, because they seem like children in a school yard demanding somebody turn over their lunch...

Respect, now that is something I understand, although likely not in the same manner as most people I see today. You've got to respect yourself before you can give respect to anyone else. Respect is earned, not commanded by instilling fear. Never really understood how respect was gained from a group by humiliating a potential member first. Today's definition is more of a bastardization IMHO.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:31 AM
tOSUSteve
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The Laughing Devils are *issed because Sin Mob or whatever they are calling themselves, used the same colors as LD's

Old 02-21-2013, 07:32 AM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 380 Posts

Aretha Franklin? Dont dis the fat lady.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:40 AM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,762 Likes on 700 Posts

The concept as it pertains to the club world can be confusing. There is no perfect answer to "what is the deal with the issue of respect? What exactly are they talking about?" Clubs vary based on the character of the membership. State to state, region to region, city to city, even chapter to chapter within a city are all DIFFERENT. My club has chapters less than 5 miles apart that are nothing alike.

From the outside people try to put a definition or parameters around club meanings, protocols, definitions, practices, etc. There are generalizations but with that are millions of "exceptions" and "one offs". Dont trust one answer to fit all situations.

Here is mine. "Respect" truly is a personal definition.

Closest comparative word I can give you (from my 3 decades in clubs) is think of "courtesy" when you hear a patch talk about "respect". If your neighbor suddenly began mocking your family, lifestyle, your clothes, your character, your kids, etc would you simply turn the other cheek or would you feel disrespected? Some would some would simply ignore them.

I've got Brothers who get twisted about the smallest damn things yet others who you couldn't **** off if you knocked over their bike. Their definition of respect is wildly different.

So is everyone else's...

Old 02-21-2013, 07:44 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by Mi3ninos
The concept as it pertains to the club world can be confusing. There is no perfect answer to "what is the deal with the issue of respect? What exactly are they talking about?" Clubs vary based on the character of the membership. State to state, region to region, city to city, even chapter to chapter within a city are all DIFFERENT. My club has chapters less than 5 miles apart that are nothing alike.

From the outside people try to put a definition or parameters around club meanings, protocols, definitions, practices, etc. There are generalizations but with that are millions of "exceptions" and "one offs". Dont trust one answer to fit all situations.

Here is mine. "Respect" truly is a personal definition.

Closest comparative word I can give you (from my 3 decades in clubs) is think of "courtesy" when you hear a patch talk about "respect". If your neighbor suddenly began mocking your family, lifestyle, your clothes, your character, your kids, etc would you simply turn the other cheek or would you feel disrespected? Some would some would simply ignore them.

I've got Brothers who get twisted about the smallest damn things yet others who you couldn't **** off if you knocked over their bike. Their definition of respect is wildly different.

So is everyone else's...
Well said as usual.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:49 AM
jazzy jack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basic philosophy - I won't be wronged, insulted, or laid a hand upon. I don't do these things to other people, and I expect the same from them. John Wayne - The Shootist

Quick Reply: What is this issue of respect?