General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What goes on at a H.O.G. rally?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 01:17 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

Originally Posted by kirbyblue
to me all rallies are the same. motorcycles, motorcycle stuff, music, leather skin girls, beer.
The good part about them is they give you an excuse to ride somewhere.

Yeah. I have found this out as well. They offer something to ride to as a goal. But once you get there, it is really the same thing in a different spot.

I think if you are not a party person, you will get bored pretty quickly regardless of which rally you go to. I think what sets the rally apart is the scenery. For me, it is a nice event if you can find places to ride around that interest you. I think that's where location of the rally is important. I was excited about going to Sturgis last year. As I don't party much, the rally itself was 'same-old same-old' and kind of a letdown. I think maybe I was expecting too much based on what I had heard or the 'legend' status the rally gets tagged with. It was a lot bigger than other events I have been to but nothing at all different in terms of content or people. Just bigger. But the scenery can keep you busy for a long time and to me that is what I liked.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:17 PM
Nugget Shooter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kirbyblue
to me all rallies are the same. motorcycles, motorcycle stuff, music, leather skin girls, beer.
The good part about them is they give you an excuse to ride somewhere.
Now that right there is the best answer I have seen.....

Old 07-26-2014, 06:17 PM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

I wish a HOG rally was like a WingDing, 4-5 vendors compared to 100's. I'll go again if it's local, but not traveling to one.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:33 PM
bjryman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Slickster63
never been to a HOG anything ... but last year I was at a dealership when the group was heading off for a ride. 30+ bikes ... noticed the ride leaders giving a lot of direction. when to leave, what lane, follow him, now stop and wait ... on and on ... looked like an assembly line instead of a ride.

I belong to two H.O.G. chapters, one large and one rather small and rural. It's like any group....you get what you put in. Regarding the instructions noted above...we call it a safety review, and provide info for the riders to help them understand not only where we are going, but how we ride (staggered, hand signals, etc.) One of our chapters is rated as in the top 5% nationwide regarding safety. That may seem trite to some of you....but it's that professionalism and caring attitude that draws many of us to the H.O.G. chapter.

And...yep....most rides involve food. Thank the Lord as well, after riding 150 miles on some of the best twisties in the region

Old 07-26-2014, 06:48 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by bjryman
I belong to two H.O.G. chapters, one large and one rather small and rural. It's like any group....you get what you put in. Regarding the instructions noted above...we call it a safety review, and provide info for the riders to help them understand not only where we are going, but how we ride (staggered, hand signals, etc.) One of our chapters is rated as in the top 5% nationwide regarding safety. That may seem trite to some of you....but it's that professionalism and caring attitude that draws many of us to the H.O.G. chapter.

And...yep....most rides involve food. Thank the Lord as well, after riding 150 miles on some of the best twisties in the region
Most of those that post about the food aspect probably stop for a bite to eat themselves when on a long ride, but if you do it as a HOG member they make it sound like that's all you do. Ride 5 blocks to the nearest food joint when in reality a restaurant may be in the ride, but it may be 100 miles away or at the tail end of a long ride. I think it's ironic. One forum member usually has something snarky to say about HOG rides and food, but a couple months ago he posted about a ride he took and guess what! He stopped at some joint for biscuits and gravy! That's OK I guess when he's on a ride and he does it because he doesn't belong to HOG. Go figure.