General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

issues with gerbings g3 gloves?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 12:18 PM
The Outlaw
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default issues with gerbings g3 gloves?

i just got my gerbings jacket liner, g3 gloves, and dual controller a few days ago and noticed my gloves wouldnt warm up

i noticed a red flashing light on the controller so i left the bike running and ran in to grab a spare cord for the gerbings gloves and plugged them in directly to the gerbings harness that connects to the battery. after a few minutes i think i noticed a tiny bit of heat on one of the thumbs but the rest of the glove did nothing and even the thumb wasn't what i'd call warm even while sitting still.

the dilemma is im not sure if im just over looking something simple (doubt it), expecting too much, or the gloves are faulty.

Last edited by The Outlaw; 03-04-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:42 PM
dyna-rider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How tight do your gloves fit? My first pair didn't fit snug enough and I had to trade them for a smaller pair. The gloves need to fit snugly or they don't feel very warm.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:41 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

If you don't feel any heat there's a problem. Call Gerbings and they'll either fix or replace them. The catch? It takes 4-5 weeks.

Mine had the opposite problem. They were burning the top of my right hand. I sent them back and they replaced them. Now they work fine. Although they don't heat as evenly all over the glove as I'd like, they certainly keep my hands warm. I've been out in the low 20s and they've performed well and kept my hands more than warm enough.

I have the on/off switch.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:15 PM
The Outlaw
Tourer

Originally Posted by dyna-rider
How tight do your gloves fit? My first pair didn't fit snug enough and I had to trade them for a smaller pair. The gloves need to fit snugly or they don't feel very warm.
im thinking this may be the problem because i ordered the next size up like the chart said. i emailed revzilla about it. im hoping they can find get it done fast so i can get out.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:56 PM
carrmat
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

As an aside, you're not supposed to use the Gerbings stuff at idle. You're only supposed to turn it on above 1500rpm.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:08 PM
The Outlaw
Tourer

Originally Posted by carrmat
As an aside, you're not supposed to use the Gerbings stuff at idle. You're only supposed to turn it on above 1500rpm.
Ahh didn't catch that in the instructions. Gerbings may not be for me then. I do mostly in town riding and spend a lot of time at stop signs and red lights. Having to mess with the controller every 2 mins will probably be more trouble than its worth and end up with me laying on the road with a car or bike on me

Old 03-04-2013, 04:13 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by The Outlaw
Ahh didn't catch that in the instructions. Gerbings may not be for me then. I do mostly in town riding and spend a lot of time at stop signs and red lights. Having to mess with the controller every 2 mins will probably be more trouble than its worth and end up with me laying on the road with a car or bike on me
I wouldn't worry about that. I mostly ride in urban stop and go traffic and haven't had any issues related to it. It's silly to think that Gerbings gear couldn't be used for commuters.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:48 PM
samhallnc
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

My gerbings gear works fine at idle.. might get a little warmer when it tachs up but not so much that it matters.

I got that flashing red light and no heat problem when I started using mine too.. this is how I solved it. Connect everything, leave the controller OFF. Start the bike.. THEN turn the ***** on the controller on. Haven't had the flashing red light / no heat problem since I started doing it that way.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:24 PM
Tedjay
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by samhallnc
My gerbings gear works fine at idle.. might get a little warmer when it tachs up but not so much that it matters.

I got that flashing red light and no heat problem when I started using mine too.. this is how I solved it. Connect everything, leave the controller OFF. Start the bike.. THEN turn the ***** on the controller on. Haven't had the flashing red light / no heat problem since I started doing it that way.
Sam has good advice here. I had this happen to me last year. Heat was fine and temperature was adjusted just where I wanted so I left the controller ***** on when I unplugged from the bike and stopped for lunch. When I got back on the bike, I plugged in and started the bike but there was no heat. So, I turned the controller ***** OFF and waited a minute or two, turned them back on and the heat was fine. Now before I plug into the bike, I make sure the controller ***** are OFF and haven't had any issues.

My Gerbings works fine at idle too.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:24 PM
carrmat
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

You're not going to have problems with the stop and go part of it, the recommendation is that you don't turn them on until you're above 1500 rpm, which is pretty easy to get to.

I think that its simply a matter of the charging system getting overloaded, if you think about it, you start your bike cold and the gerbings stuff is coming right off a battery, which isn't really charging until you're moving.

I've had intermittent problems with my jacket liner and gloves. I get the burning on the tops of my hands and on my back sometimes. It never seems to provide good even heat for me. Sent it back to gerbings and they said nothing was wrong. I'm going to make sure I turn off the controller before unplugging next time and not turning it back on until I get moving to see if that helps anything.

Quick Reply: issues with gerbings g3 gloves?