General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 07:34 PM
Striker62
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Glide?

Looking to upgrade this season. Need some advice. I have been riding a Sporster 1200N since early last year. Realized I need something more road worthy longer distances. I am considering a Road Glide. Found a 2005 with 20K on it that is reasonable. Questions? Road glide maybe to much of a jump from a Sporster? If so what are your thoughts? The bike looks to be well maintained but debating between older and newer (2005 vs 2009) Any thoughts on the 2005?

Thanks

Ride safe.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:51 PM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

First off, you need to ride one to decide what feels comfortable to you. When you do go for a ride, make sure you take your time and go easy at first. There is more weight than you are used to, but it will disappear once you are underway. Go rent one for a day. Yeah its expensive, but that is the best way you will decide. I found the RoadGlide to be very responsive. It does not feel heavy to me when going slow due to the frame mounted fairing. So if the price is right go used. If you can afford a newer one, the 2009 was the frame change. I personally like the new frame. In 2011 they added some goodies to the bike, put in the Screaming Eagle compensator, and have an oil cooler. They also put the 103 in it. I went from a SuperGlide to my RoadGlide Ultra. I test road a rental before I bought. I also road a few other bikes to decide what fit my style and comfort. Good luck and let us see the pics of the one you get.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:00 PM
fullautomike
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I went from a Sporster to a Limited. Took a bit to get used to, but I just love it now. There is a big weight difference that you have to adjust for, but I think the big question is how much riding experience do you have? I rode my Sporster for 16 years, and that was not my 1st bike. I think your time on a bike is what will be the important thing. Drat has a good idea, rent one and you will know if you can handle it or not.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:01 PM
SJ58
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd go for the '09. Having that sixth gear is nice on the highway.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:35 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

I wouldn't buy a pre 08 bagger...The difference in handling is NIGHT AND DAY.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:39 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 455 Likes on 245 Posts

unless you plan on bench pressing the bike.... you won't notice the weight.... well maybe when you're walking the bike in and out of the garage

I went from a Honda 1100 spirit, to a 2005 FLTR... and had ZERO adjustment.
As noted... ride the bike, and then YOU decide.

The newer bike... 2009 has upgraded frame and suspension... and doesn't have the crappy Cam Tensioners .... but the 05 is somewhat less desireable (in market terms) so you might get it for a song.....
There are no quick and easy answers..... I love my 05, and can't think of a reason to buy a new one... oh... if I won the lotto... maybe.... but my bike suits ME.. and I have it set up the way I want it....
as they say "Your miles may vary"

Old 03-30-2013, 09:11 PM
Cosmic Charlie
Elite HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 57 Posts
Old 03-30-2013, 09:20 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I think you need to test ride one first because that's about a two or three hundreds pound difference.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:27 PM
jack6hd
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you don't want to rent one, then take a test ride from a dealer. 09 and up will handle the same. You will be surprised how well they handle. Make sure your right, then go ahead.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:27 AM
Moe Taters
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by themouth!!!
I wouldn't buy a pre 08 bagger...The difference in handling is NIGHT AND DAY.
I wouldn't buy a post '06 bagger. The difference is night and day. I have had seven Harleys in the past ten years. I'll never buy a post '06 Harley.

Moe Taters

Quick Reply: Road Glide?