General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

akoury ak88 helmet

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 12:01 PM
STREAK
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Missle
There is a US dealer. I think it's Hogshoppe.com out of NY. But I priced both and ordering from Canada was actually cheaper by around $5.
Thx Missle.. saw that.. they make up for their cost to have inventory shipped to them I guess...

Old 03-05-2014, 01:03 PM
Rockgeezer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STREAK
Thx Missle.. saw that.. they make up for their cost to have inventory shipped to them I guess...
Yeah, as I mentioned in a previous post, got mine from Bo at Hogshoppe for $119 but did receive it in two days in Virginia. I'm happy with it, only marginally larger than my older Outlaws which were pulled. Here's the Ak-88 compared to those old, recalled Outlaws which were the lowest, smallest DOT (at the time) I could find. Akoury is the matte black on the right.

Attached Thumbnails akoury ak88 helmet-img_0537.jpg   akoury ak88 helmet-img_0538.jpg  
Old 03-05-2014, 03:34 PM
STREAK
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockgeezer
Yeah, as I mentioned in a previous post, got mine from Bo at Hogshoppe for $119 but did receive it in two days in Virginia. I'm happy with it, only marginally larger than my older Outlaws which were pulled. Here's the Ak-88 compared to those old, recalled Outlaws which were the lowest, smallest DOT (at the time) I could find. Akoury is the matte black on the right.
How is the fit of the Akoury vs the Outlaw?

Old 03-05-2014, 04:07 PM
Rockgeezer
Tourer

Originally Posted by STREAK
How is the fit of the Akoury vs the Outlaw?
I wear a XL normally which both of these are and fit similarly. There is a bit more padding in the Akoury so is a little more comfortable. The Outlaw is a little tighter on the forehead so may fit a more round head better. As you probably know, the Outlaw has little to no padding in the top so the styrofoam feels hard of course, whereas the Ak88 has, although minimal, a tiny bit of padding that is more comfortable. Pressure, to me is more even around my head with the Akoury, once again probably due to a little more padding. The size chart was accurate for me but some have said they needed to size down although in my case, the measurements were on the money and consistent with all my other helmet sizes. The ratchet strap should be an option for all helmets, a very worthwhile feature.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:31 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

I wear a XL normally which both of these are and fit similarly. There is a bit more padding in the Akoury so is a little more comfortable. The Outlaw is a little tighter on the forehead so may fit a more round head better. As you probably know, the Outlaw has little to no padding in the top so the styrofoam feels hard of course, whereas the Ak88 has, although minimal, a tiny bit of padding that is more comfortable. Pressure, to me is more even around my head with the Akoury, once again probably due to a little more padding. The size chart was accurate for me but some have said they needed to size down although in my case, the measurements were on the money and consistent with all my other helmet sizes. The ratchet strap should be an option for all helmets, a very worthwhile feature.
The AK88 is shaped like the Outlaw Slim. It sounds like you were camparing it to the Outlaw Low. The slim has a nicer liner then the low.

Last edited by golfblues; 03-05-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:44 PM
Rockgeezer
Tourer

Originally Posted by golfblues
The AK88 us shaped like the Outlaw Slim. It sounds like you were camparing it to the Outlaw Low. The slim has a nicer liner then the low.
Yeah, probably so, think they called them the Ultra Low Profile that were recalled and no longer DOT passable or available. Outlaws now for sale are nothing like the older ones that were pulled (probably for the best

For gee whiz info and comparisons, here's the old style Outlaw and Akoury AK-88 padding as well as both with a HJC IS-2.

Attached Thumbnails akoury ak88 helmet-img_0543.jpg   akoury ak88 helmet-img_0545.jpg  
Old 03-05-2014, 06:43 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

Yeah, probably so, think they called them the Ultra Low Profile that were recalled and no longer DOT passable or available. Outlaws now for sale are nothing like the older ones that were pulled (probably for the best

For gee whiz info and comparisons, here's the old style Outlaw and Akoury AK-88 padding as well as both with a HJC IS-2.
Looking at the pictures of the insides, the left one is the ultra low. The ak88 on the right is exactly the same as the slim. I have both the slim and low and the low fits better for me. The only difference between the slim and 88 is the strap and the slim was 40 bucks. If the 88 gets tested I believe it will have the same fate as the Outlaws.

Sent from my SM-T310 using IB AutoGroup

Old 03-05-2014, 06:55 PM
Rockgeezer
Tourer

Originally Posted by golfblues
Looking at the pictures of the insides, the left one is the ultra low. The ak88 on the right is exactly the same as the slim. I have both the slim and low and the low fits better for me. The only difference between the slim and 88 is the strap and the slim was 40 bucks. If the 88 gets tested I believe it will have the same fate as the Outlaws.

Sent from my SM-T310 using IB AutoGroup
Yep, agree with that...

Old 03-05-2014, 07:04 PM
Tampakingpin
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this lid and love it. Very light.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:53 PM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 215 Posts

Has anyone seen the new AK1? Hard to tell the difference, claims it has more curve, their webpage is not very good

Quick Reply: akoury ak88 helmet