General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

akoury ak88 helmet

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 09:17 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by lowebudget
I do and it's horrible. The Daytona is nicely made but serious mushroom head
Wait a minute. Trying to make sure this comment is helpful to the forum.

I believe LB was asking if anyone has both the Daytona AND the Akoury. Do you? Cuz it doesn't sound like you do.

Daytona is "horrible" compared to what? Novelties? You are talking about Daytona's Skull cap half helmet? Daytona claims to be the smallest and lightest DOT half helmet. Now, I don't believe everything I hear/read but anything else I've been convinced is smaller turns out to not actually be DOT. i.e. Outlaw and ACC. Do you personally know of a DOT half that is smaller than the Daytona? Or more to your point, a DOT half that provides less mushroom head?

Old 05-04-2013, 09:42 AM
Anpumes
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 103RATRIDE
does anybody own a daytona that can chime in and let us know how small it really is?
im debating which to get now daytona or ak88
I just bought a Daytona yesterday. I will say that it is fairly small compared the majority of the helmets on the market. My wife noticed it immediately when I came home - she likes to open the garage for me...

Originally Posted by lowebudget
I do and it's horrible. The Daytona is nicely made but serious mushroom head
If you say so... You must be used to the novelty helmets that really hug your head. I'll admit this isn't the slimmest helmet I've ever owned but it is the slimmest DOT helmet I've ever had.

I don't own the Akoury helmet; I went with Daytona mainly because I wanted to try them on for myself and find the right size. I'd have to take an educated guess on Akoury; I was afraid I'd get the wrong size and have to send it back. They want $25 shipping on an $80 helmet... Didn't feel it was worth the risk. I also prefer to see with my own eyes that my helmets have the FMVSS 218 warning label sewn into them somewhere; that way when a cop does decide to harass me, I stand a better chance of riding away without a ticket than if it just had a DOT sticker on the back.

I did have to travel 60+ miles to find a dealer who carried the Daytona's (DOT version) and had them in stock. I'm not complaining, was an excellent "excuse" to go for a ride. A couple places closer carry the non-DOT Daytona's...

Old 05-04-2013, 12:16 PM
103RATRIDE
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you own the ak88 can you please post a pic soon!! Or a comparison picture, I would really appreciate it

Old 05-04-2013, 12:16 PM
SteveFLSTF
Intermediate

I don't own the Akoury helmet; I went with Daytona mainly because I wanted to try them on for myself and find the right size. I'd have to take an educated guess on Akoury; I was afraid I'd get the wrong size and have to send it back. They want $25 shipping on an $80 helmet... Didn't feel it was worth the risk. I also prefer to see with my own eyes that my helmets have the FMVSS 218 warning label sewn into them somewhere; that way when a cop does decide to harass me, I stand a better chance of riding away without a ticket than if it just had a DOT sticker on the back.
Buying a helmet online is always a risk but I can confirm the the FMVSS label is sewn to the inner liner and is the exact same as the one on my Outlaw Polo helmet.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:51 PM
SteveFLSTF
Intermediate

If you own the ak88 can you please post a pic soon!! Or a comparison picture, I would really appreciate it
Here are some shots. On the left is the Akoury AK-88 in the middle is the Akoury Terminator and on the right is my Outlaw Polo. (Sorry that is all I have to compare.

Akoury AK-88 (added ear pads)

Akoury Terminator (a little narrower and higher design)

Outlaw Polo

Akoury Inner (both inners are the same)

Outlaw Inner

Hope that helps.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:08 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

Wow Steve. Very helpful. Thanks.
Surprised the difference between the AK-88 and Terminator. So you think the Terminator is made for thinner more oval faces? If Terminator is thinner does that mean less mushroom head? (The ear pads make judgement difficult.) Do the two weigh the same?
What would you say are reasons to pick the AK-88 over the Terminator. (or visa-versa)

Old 05-04-2013, 01:14 PM
103RATRIDE
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SteveFLSTF
Here are some shots. On the left is the Akoury AK-88 in the middle is the Akoury Terminator and on the right is my Outlaw Polo. (Sorry that is all I have to compare.

Akoury AK-88 (added ear pads)

Akoury Terminator (a little narrower and higher design)

Outlaw Polo

Akoury Inner (both inners are the same)

Outlaw Inner

Hope that helps.
Great thanks for the pics! Thats a really helpfull post, what do you preffer terminator or ak88?

Old 05-04-2013, 01:17 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

Steve→Can you think of a good reason for the step on the back of the Terminator? Seems odd but on the site the mention it like they are proud of it.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:21 PM
SteveFLSTF
Intermediate

Great thanks for the pics! Thats a really helpfull post, what do you preffer terminator or ak88?
No problem at all. I like the style of ak-88 better. They both wear the same as far as feel and comfort.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:25 PM
SteveFLSTF
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dew Me
Steve→Can you think of a good reason for the step on the back of the Terminator? Seems odd but on the site the mention it like they are proud of it.
Heh, that one had me puzzled as well. Looking at it from the side, it may be that the step is a solid extra layer of fiberglass. Maybe for extra protection or strength?

Quick Reply: akoury ak88 helmet