General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Even" trade with a dealership?

Old 04-12-2013, 10:00 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

No matter what deal you make it will be your bike and cash to get what you want. The dealer needs to make money on it...even trade will never happen.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:17 PM
glock221
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think a HD dealership will. Now, maybe if you were to trade the deluxe for say a train 05 or 06 I am sure they would if your deluxe is a few years newer. I would sell the Deluxe outright then purchase a bike. Downfall to that is you will pay taxes on the full purchase amount instead of the trade difference.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:38 AM
WestPalmBop
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by N83
Good call- this is almost exactly what's going down. I talked to the wife about the situation and how chances were slim I'd get the Lo and probably have to get an older Night Train. She really doesn't like the Trains (yes, she's crazy) and said she'd be cool with us putting-up $2,000 to make the Lo work.

So, tonight I stopped by to check-out the Lo I saw online (2010, black denim, $15.5K). While I was there I noticed another Lo that wasn't online. 2010, also black denim, $15.9. However, the latter had about $2,000 in mods.

I chatted with a really cool salesman about my situation. He told me the trade-in on my Deluxe ($10.x) and I told him how I'm trying to spend as little money on the swap as possible (no more than $2,000). He chatted with the GM for a very long time but never came back for the, "Are you sure you can't do..." routine.

Turns out that with me only being able to do $2,000, it'd be darn-near an even swap, so they need to call the owner tomorrow to justify the deal to cover their rears. The kicker, though- they have more money in the Lo with no accessories, so I'd probably be getting the one that's $500 more with all the accessories. It's cool, because I can see myself doing most of them anyway (in one form or another). The only thing I don't like about that bike is the Reach seat that's on it (not cool for a 6'5" dude). I don't know if they'd be willing to swap the seats or if I'll just have to buy a new one or pay someone to modify the Reach.

So yeah, there's the update. I'll hear back from the fellas tomorrow on whether or not I'll be in a Lo! Below is a pic I snapped of the one with mods:

Hope you get your deal. I'm with you that is a way cooler bike IMO.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:06 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

OP is likely going to pay taxes on the full price of the new bike, anyway.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:08 AM
WestPalmBop
Cruiser

Originally Posted by lo-rider
OP is likely going to pay taxes on the full price of the new bike, anyway.
You only pay taxes on the net difference which in this case is $2k if all goes well.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:22 AM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,083 Likes on 2,600 Posts

I went to the local Rice dealer to get some parts for my Rhino, and they had a bunch of used Harley's (I think they are buying at an auction). They want more for the Harley's than most of their new Japanese cruisers. They had a 2011 Lo, completely stock and not very clean and wanted 17k for it. I laughed as I walked by towards the parts counter. Good luck trying to get what you want from a dealer.

I thought it was kind of funny that they had the HD's in the front, and the Japanese bikes in the back. They are probably making more off the used HD's.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:41 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WestPalmBop
You only pay taxes on the net difference which in this case is $2k if all goes well.
"Maryland Excise Titling Tax

Dealer
A vehicle purchased from a licensed dealer, is assessed excise tax based on the agreed upon price of the vehicle..."

It doesn't matter if he pays for it all in cash or partly/mostly with a trade-in.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:23 PM
WestPalmBop
Cruiser

Dealer
A vehicle purchased from a licensed dealer, is assessed excise tax based on the agreed upon price of the vehicle..."

It doesn't matter if he pays for it all in cash or partly/mostly with a trade-in.
I can't say I'm a Maryland tax expert but that wouldn't the "agree upon price of the vehicle" be the net difference after trade?

Old 04-13-2013, 12:40 PM
freenez
Banned

Dealer

Fla. Tax on trade difference. $2000. X 7% = $140. You say Maryland Bike value $15,000. X 7% = $1,050. Just does not make sense. ?? really??

Old 04-13-2013, 02:53 PM
N83
Advanced

Dealer

Maryland has a "Trade-in Allowance" where you only pay tax on the difference in value between your trade and the new vehicle.

Just called the salesman for an update: he says it's not looking good but they're still trying. I probably won't hear anything new until Tuesday morning.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Even" trade with a dealership?