General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 fuel injected road king. should i go for it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 07:55 AM
BikerV
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Deal.!! Post up pictures when you're done going over it, they'd be neat to see. Like Def Mute said, you could probably re-route the throttle cables because Harley likes to run this big loop though the headlight nacelle for some reason. So if you run the cables like most other Harley's (straight down then back under the tank) you can get higher bars on. Putting 14" apes on mine was a big improvement. It made the steering feel a whole lot easier than the stock bars and it was more comfortable to me. I ended up just putting on all new cables and a braided brake line. I had to extend the wiring anyway.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:46 AM
Rnt77
Banned

I have this bike. I replaced a heat shield for it with a brand new one from the Ronnie's Harley Davidson site.

http://www.shopronniesharleydavidson...partfinder.htm

Old 04-16-2013, 01:30 PM
RoadKing2438
Road Master

Good deal man, congrats. You should be able to put heritage style bars on it without changing the cables. I have a M&M bike as well. When I first bought it, it was having problems with the idle. I put V&H big shots on it, SE air cleaner and a PCIII. I haven't had any problem since. Maybe I will even change it over to this if I have a few extra bucks lying around. http://www.zippersperformance.com/pr...e-marelli.html

Old 04-16-2013, 03:06 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,023 Posts

You did GOOD dude. Really good!

Old 04-17-2013, 12:06 AM
agove
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadKing2438
Good deal man, congrats. You should be able to put heritage style bars on it without changing the cables. I have a M&M bike as well. When I first bought it, it was having problems with the idle. I put V&H big shots on it, SE air cleaner and a PCIII. I haven't had any problem since. Maybe I will even change it over to this if I have a few extra bucks lying around. http://www.zippersperformance.com/pr...e-marelli.html
As much as I would like to switch it over to carbureted, I couldn't swing that price right now. Plus the OL would murder me in my sleep. I told her I wanted to get the bike to clean up and fix a few things then flip it after I get back from my upcoming deployment. Hopefully she'll forget about it when I get back and won't hound me to sell it so I can just keep on riding it and won't have to make up excuses of why it hasn't sold yet. Ill put it on cl for 30k so people won't even respond to the add lol. So far I love it though, it's so comfortable compared to my wide glide. The wide glide will never leave though, ill have that one until the day I die. I'm hoping to make this rk my everyday ride and have the wg as my weekend warrior.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:16 PM
agove
Road Captain

Well today I woke up early (for being a night shifter) and went to hd to get a derby cover gasket and some o-rings for the drain plugs. I came back home chaged all of the fluids (which it desperately needed) then gave it a good was and wax. I polished up some of the chrome but not everything. Here's how she looks right now.

Still need to do quite a bit more polishing and I really need to clean those rims.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:29 PM
FatTony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 120 Posts

Sounds like a no brainer deal to me. Nice score!

Last edited by FatTony; 04-17-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:39 PM
josame
Road Master
Received 291 Likes on 163 Posts

Nice bike, you will really like it. They are great cruisers & I think a nice looking bike.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:32 PM
agove
Road Captain

I'm having a bit of a problem. While riding to work tonight I noticed when I hit the breaks the lights and dash dim pretty bad and the bike died once. When it died it felt like the bike wasn't getting fuel. I suspect a bad ground somewhere. The reason I think it's a ground is because the other day I turned the ignition on and the headlight didn't come on. I gave it a smack and it came on and stayed on. The the tail light went out and I did the same thing. And it came on. The lights dimming and the bike dying made me think maybe something with the charging system but when I shut it down it fires right back up. Sorry for the novel but If anyone has any input I'd love to hear it.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:14 AM
agove
Road Captain

I just read the ecu code and its flashing 16 which from what I've found is battery voltage. I'm going to try tightening the battery terminals when I get off work. If that doesn't work ill grab the multimeter and start shooting wires.

Quick Reply: 1998 fuel injected road king. should i go for it?