General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam plate\Oil pump question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 03:33 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cam plate\Oil pump question

I am preparing for a cam swap and I am upgrading the oil pump while I am in there.

Here is my question. The SE cam plate comes with the upgraded oil pump. There are also other choices for cam plates and they feature larger flow holes for the oil.

If I just go with an upgraded oil pump and keep the OEM cam plate, with a that restrict flow making the new oil pump not as effective as it would be with a new cam plate?

I would really like to go with the Fueling Oil pump. But if I need the cam plate too, I might as well go with the SE cam plate/oil pump combo for the same money.

And just answer the question the way it's asked please. I know a cam plate nor oil pump is needed to swap cams.
But I am upgrading the oil pump. I started another thread related to this and got nothing but folks telling me I don't need a cam plate.
It's not about need, it's about want and about improving oil supply and cooling.

So, do I need an upgraded cam plate to get full benefit of the upgraded oil pump?

Old 04-28-2013, 06:40 PM
ZUTEDUFF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Big,,
Don't believe you have to change Cam Support plates just to upgrade an oil pump, but if your leaning toward the fueling oil pump, I believe their website says that the plate is setup for that specific pump....I found a billet cam plate and oilpump for upgrade last month....325.00 for plate and oil pump and it was for gear drive...fueling was much higher...oil pressure is 60 at 2700 rpm and 8-12 at idle hot.....