General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

People with the TW-222, tell me it's worth this agony!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 07:27 PM
trnewman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default People with the TW-222, tell me it's worth this agony!

I decided to swap cams on my 2012 SG and with all the great support and write-ups on this site I decided to do the work myself. I started this past Sunday to get the cam done. I have parts out for powder coating so I can't do the pushrods just yet. I bought the bearing puller/installer on eBay. When I went to remove the bearings I noticed the end of the puller was not going to fit through the bearing easily. I lubed it and even used a hammer but was concerned about going through the back of the bearing causing damage or blowing up the bearing. Well, after some time it got stuck and after some swearing and sweat I was able to get the tool back out but not after I damaged the tool beyond repair. I then read on here that someone used a puller from harbor freight. I went there and bought the tool, brought it home and it worked fine. I then installed the new bearings and closed everything back up. I returned the tool the next day.

Now, today I got to thinking I forgot to torque down the rear chain tensioner. My OCD was in overdrive so I took everything back apart and made sure it was torqued. I then decided to lube up the bearings real nice and noticed the rear bearing was not spinning like the front one. WTF! It looks like it's sitting in there ok but I either got a bad bearing or it didn't seat correctly. Now I have to get another bearing and another puller to finish this job. I sure hope these cams are worth it!

Old 05-02-2013, 07:41 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Was that a Heartland tool you bought off eBay?
I had the same problem. I just used a clamp to compress the splines slightly so that it would fit thru the bearing. Worked fine after that. Sounds like you are past that point though...
How did you change the cam without pulling the pushrods? Or did you pull them out the top?
I had a few other problems too. I broke off one of the cam chest cover bolts while torquing it down and had to pull that off again to get it out. Luckily it wasn't broken off flush with or down inside the case. For sure, it didn't go all smooth and lovely like...
But YES, it will be worth it. THAT I can tell you!

Did you use a bearing installer to press the bearings in, as well? That's a must, imo...

Old 05-02-2013, 07:55 PM
trnewman
Tourer

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown
Was that a Heartland tool you bought off eBay?
I had the same problem. I just used a clamp to compress the splines slightly so that it would fit thru the bearing. Worked fine after that. Sounds like you are past that point though...
How did you change the cam without pulling the pushrods? Or did you pull them out the top?
I had a few other problems too. I broke off one of the cam chest cover bolts while torquing it down and had to pull that off again to get it out. Luckily it wasn't broken off flush with or down inside the case. For sure, it didn't go all smooth and lovely like...
But YES, it will be worth it. THAT I can tell you!

Did you use a bearing installer to press the bearings in, as well? That's a must, imo...
Yes it was a heartland style tool. The sides of the tool were being shaved down from pushing it into the bearing so I was using quite a bit of pressure. I tried using a hose clamp to compress it but that did not work. I cut the pushrods and have adjustables waiting when I get my PC parts back. Nice to hear you like the cams!

Old 05-02-2013, 08:53 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

sounds like you could have saved yourself a little bit of trouble if you had not returned your used bearing puller to harbor freight. hate to say it, but karma can be a bitch......

but in the end, you will love your bike all over again. it'll be like a brand new ride.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:02 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,876 Likes on 8,236 Posts

So if I go to HF to get a bearing puller, I'll be getting a used one?

Old 05-03-2013, 12:33 AM
kingomtn
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hf rents tools?

Old 05-03-2013, 06:00 AM
trnewman
Tourer

Originally Posted by kingomtn
hf rents tools?
LOL..well since they charged me a re-stocking fee I would say yes. I thought I was done with it so I guess Karma bit me in the %ss.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:11 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member

You have to compress the splines enough so that they bend slightly and stay that way - enough to allow them to go thru the bearing, but not so much that it's impossible to get the expander thru with a few good taps of a mallet. As I said tho, it's a little late for this...

Old 05-03-2013, 07:00 AM
trnewman
Tourer

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown
You have to compress the splines enough so that they bend slightly and stay that way - enough to allow them to go thru the bearing, but not so much that it's impossible to get the expander thru with a few good taps of a mallet. As I said tho, it's a little late for this...
What type of clamp did you use to compress the splines? That clamp has to sit back far enough from the edge so you can take it off after the tool goes through the bearing...

I watched the fuel moto 107 build video on youtube where the guy was using the same tool as I was. He just pushed the tool through without any hammering at all. That led me to believe my tool was not going to work. You can see in the picture that the edges of the tool were getting worn down quite a bit. It seemed to me the tool was the wrong diameter.

Attached Thumbnails People with the TW-222, tell me it's worth this agony!-2013-04-28_17-07-59_121.jpg  
Old 05-03-2013, 07:57 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member

Nah man, I bent the splines in FIRST, then put it thru the bearing. Put it in a clamp or a vice and close it far enough for the first two splines to bend inward - permanently - but don't bend 'em too far, like I said, or else you won't be able to get the expander in once it's thru the bearing. Then repeat for the other two spines. Just compress the splines enough so that they're a little closer together than they are now.

BTW, that tool is still totally usable. I think mine looks more beat up than that.

Quick Reply: People with the TW-222, tell me it's worth this agony!