General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jiffy Stand Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 12:44 AM
TattooYoo
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jiffy Stand Question

How much exactly can a jiffy stand actually hold? Ive seen guys lounging out on their bikes with their feet up on their bars
while the bike is on the jiffy stand. Ive also seen people mount the bike from the right side by standing on the footboard
and swinging their leg over. Now Im a fairly hefty guy....I kinda want to try the right side mount so I dont scuff my seat, but
Im kind of afraid of dropping the bike because of the extra weight on the jiffy stand. Any ideas?

Old 02-22-2007, 12:54 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Jiffy Stand Question

Well....I'm no engineer and I don't know where you would find that kind of specification anyway. But if you look closely you will see that the Jiffy Stand is bolted to the frame and there is a toungue that isinserted into a groove each time the stand is deployed. Obviously the bikes weigh quite a lot, but since they are only leaning against the stand and not supporting all 800 +lbs, I'd say you should be okay if you chose to sit on the bike with the stand down. Since it leans at quite an angle, I've found trying to sit on the bike to be fairly impractical. If we were talking about a center stand that might be different.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:33 AM
Unamed
Road Master

If it can hold me and a lady, it can hold one guy, for sure. The suspension will help take the load too.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:39 AM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member

I saw a rather hefty fellow with his feet on the bars he was laying down and there seemed to support him alright, he was asleep

Old 02-22-2007, 02:30 AM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In all my years I have never seen one bend, break. never heard about one bending or breaking either. I wouldnt worry about it.[8D]

Old 02-22-2007, 03:34 AM
coldmcrider
Cruiser

The Harley Jiffy stand is probably the best side stand of any motorcycle made today. It has more than enough strength to support the full weight of a rider lounging on the bike. I've taken many a nap on my old FLHTwithout any hint of a problem.

I just went out to the garage and mounted my EG ultra-classic by standing on the right floor board. I'd never done that before. It was kinda fun. I weigh about 235 and there was no problem at all. I'm not sure how a sporty would do though. Go ahead, give it a try and let us know how it works out. On your bike you may have to watch out that it doesen't tip to the right if you put all your weight on the right foot peg.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:51 AM
CroftonDamico
Cruiser

I am an old man with arthritis and unable to mount the bike by standing on the ground and swinging my leg over. Therefore, I mount from the right, by supporting my right foot on the floor board,squeeze thefront break, stand-up and then throw the left leg over the seat. Dismout the same way.Works even with the bike parked on hill leaning to the left.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:13 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

They are incredibly strong,but that is definitly a technical question that should be put to HD.I can say this from experience.They will bend before they break.So,pick up a spare stand and experiment,let us know what you find.Just kidding!

Old 02-22-2007, 10:45 AM
rountree
Cruiser

In making the switch from Sport Tourers to harleys a few years ago, getting use to the stand MOVING was hard for me. I kept thinking the bike was about to fall over. Any solutions for the excess play in the jiffy stand?

Old 02-22-2007, 11:06 AM
CroftonDamico
Cruiser

The following is cut and pasted from "Motor Lessons" you can obtain an emailcopy of this 40 page manual by requesting a copy from Harris Neil : MotorLessons@Ricochet.com
MOTOR LESSONS
A MOTORCYCLE OPERATION SELF-STUDY COURSE
You must always mount and
dismount from the high side (the side away from the kick stand) of the motor. This way
if you catch the motor with your foot, the kickstand and gravity are working in your
favor. If you are mounting the motor from the low side, and you accidentally kick the
motor, you can end up knocking it over. For police this is also important so that if two
people are riding two motors together, they don’t step into one another as they are
dismounting.

Quick Reply: Jiffy Stand Question