General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubber Mounted To Hard Mounted

Old 05-17-2013, 07:34 PM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,176 Likes on 936 Posts
Default Rubber Mounted To Hard Mounted

Just moved from a rubber mounted engine bike 1995 FXDL To a 2005 FatBoy.
Just looking for other people that moved to see their first thoughts and experience were with a hard mount bike.

So far I olny have about a 150 miles on the Fat Boy and it definetly feels different. Better but different

Thanks

Old 05-17-2013, 08:24 PM
jamesw
Road Warrior
Received 675 Likes on 256 Posts

Your bike has the chain driven balancers in it; much smoother than an older evo rigid mount. If i switch from my '99 Glide to the wife's '88 softail, wow what a difference!

Old 05-17-2013, 09:57 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

The counterbalance engine is one of the main reasons I am on a softail.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:58 PM
r evolotion
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been back and forth a dozen times. Here's my take, every rubber mount has its own idle vibe, some rattle the bones and some are pretty smooth, off idle they seem to smooth out nice. A solid mount evo will vibe always, a B motor is smooth at idle and will vibe at high speed. I dislike idle vibes very much at every stop sign or stop light, i have had a few rubber mounts that idle pretty smooth, more the evo than twinks. The b motor is much smoother in stop and go traffic. Long story short, why not a b motor rubber mounted? HD never did it, why not? V rod comes close.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:25 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailsfrommycrib
The counterbalance engine is one of the main reasons I am on a softail.
Same for me.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:25 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,176 Likes on 936 Posts

Have you found any issue with Vibration at speed or when engine breaking on a B motor bike?

Old 05-18-2013, 10:11 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by r evolotion
I have been back and forth a dozen times. Here's my take, every rubber mount has its own idle vibe, some rattle the bones and some are pretty smooth, off idle they seem to smooth out nice. A solid mount evo will vibe always, a B motor is smooth at idle and will vibe at high speed. I dislike idle vibes very much at every stop sign or stop light, i have had a few rubber mounts that idle pretty smooth, more the evo than twinks. The b motor is much smoother in stop and go traffic. Long story short, why not a b motor rubber mounted? HD never did it, why not? V rod comes close.
As I understand it. The B engine is not rubber mounted because it will not fit in the Softail frame with rubber mounts. The touring engines are not counter balanced because the counter balancers have a parasitic draw on the horsepower that is needed to power the heavier bike.

Last edited by dribble; 05-18-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:37 AM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts

As long as you are on the bike that makes you happy with the way you ride, that's what really counts and I'm glad we all have choices from the moco. Having riden evo softails, twinkie softails, evo rubber mounts and twinkie rubber mounts over the years, my perefrence is for the rubbermount, like how they are smooth on the highway.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:38 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

I'm with 89FLHT. I've ridden them all, and after 33,000 miles on my '05 Deluxe, I switched to my Dyna in '08. As beautiful as it looked the motor just had no personailty. No more counterbalancers for me thanks. I'd rather feel the motor. To each their own.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:49 AM
mesquite
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I totally agree...it's that vibration I was looking for in a Harley in the first place. It represents that horsepower to me...those cams loping that engine. Nice V&H 2-2 pipes. That's what I envisioned when I've always thought of Harley's.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rubber Mounted To Hard Mounted