General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding with Harley Owners Group HOG

Old 05-27-2013, 07:20 PM
P51Driver
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Riding with Harley Owners Group HOG

Scary, and that's all I am going to say about that.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:21 PM
T_Dogg80
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Elaborate! I don't know anyone else that rides and have thought about checking the local HOG out. But every post I read on here makes that seem like a bad idea.

So, what happened?

Old 05-27-2013, 07:58 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

I will start out by saying I belong to our local HOG chapter. Don't take my word for it find out for yourself. Now with that being said, there are all kinds of different skill level riders in every HOG chapter. Knowing that you have to decide rather or not you want to ride within that scenario. If you don't see yourself riding with lesser skilled riders and likely some better skilled riders save yourself aggravation and don't join.

I you want to give it a try it can be fun. Be aware that they have rules and some riders don't like to follow rules. So HOG may not be for everyone and everyone is not for HOG. The HOG motto is to ride and have fun, that applies for every chapter member.
Some members on this forum hate HOG but have only attended one meeting. I think you have to be objective and give it some time and make your own decision. I have a person I know that is a Harley Tech and he hates HOG. The reason is he went to a state HOG event and they would not let him in on his crotch rocket. He still doesn't understand, you had to ride in on your Harley. Too bad because the HOG chapter could definitely benefit by his knowledge. Good Luck and this should bring many comments.

Last edited by Nellybelle; 05-27-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:01 PM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't like group rides. It's like riding in traffic, except the traffic follows you wherever you go and will never let up until the ride is over.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:04 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

What Clubber said!

Group riding is scary to me. It wasn't in the old days but now, I don't care for it.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:10 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

I get E-Mails from my dealer HOG chapter all the time about rides. Most of the rides I see scheduled are to Arby's or McDonalds-- stuff like that. It usually has something to do with food.

At least they can make it interesting--perhaps a variation of the Poker Run where the organizer hides Buckets of Chicken Fingers at various stops around the city.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:15 PM
LeFat1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
I get E-Mails from my dealer HOG chapter all the time about rides. Most of the rides I see scheduled are to Arby's or McDonalds-- stuff like that. It usually has something to do with food.

At least they can make it interesting--perhaps a variation of the Poker Run where the organizer hides Buckets of Chicken Fingers at various stops around the city.
Live to ride, ride to eat!

Old 05-27-2013, 08:16 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Every chapter is different. You have to attend yours and decide if it is for you.
An advantage to group rides is that someone else has taken the time to set up a nice route. A route you may not have ever thought of or even knew existed. I joined, it wasn't right for me at that time, likely will give it another try one day. A neighboring HOG group posts some rides on Facebook that I've attended and had a good ride.

Give'em a try and hope yours works out for you.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:20 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Nellybelle
II have a person I know that is a Harley Tech and he hates HOG. The reason is he went to a state HOG event and they would not let him in on his crotch rocket. He still doesn't understand, you had to ride in on your Harley. Too bad because the HOG chapter could definitely benefit by his knowledge. Good Luck and this should bring many comments.
And that is the exact reason why I would never join HOG

Old 05-27-2013, 10:52 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I used to belong to a HOG Chapter. Met a lot of good folks, some of whom I developed a great friendship with. I enjoyed the rides, particularly the 2-3 day rides to some nice destinations. However, after a while I decided that I didn't enjoy the meetings and, like many groups, people come and go. Now, I ride with a few of the guys that I met in HOG but are no longer members, but our friendship has remained. In fact, I met my fiance in HOG ten years ago.

Like others have said. You need to check it out and decide for yourself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Riding with Harley Owners Group HOG