General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheelies and Burnouts

Old 06-04-2013, 07:57 AM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts
Default Wheelies and Burnouts

Well!

I met yet another one yesterday, pulled into the parking lot and there he was, one of those people who think every Harley is a fire breathing tire eating wheelie monster.

The guy walks over to my bike and says "is that a 103", of course it says 110 on both sides of the motor, here's where I start to think this guy may be FOS. Nope I say, it's a 110 to which he replies "wow, I have a 103 and it smokes the tire and pulls wheelies all the time, I like to give my daughter rides and she said the other day, dad, I think that was a wheelie".

It seems like everybody thinks these Harley's are Hot Rods, these interactions are far to frequent and lead me to believe we have an image problem.

Truthfully, how many of you guys are actually pulling wheelies and burning the tires off of your Harley's?

Old 06-04-2013, 08:13 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

So, the other guy actually had a bike and said he was doing wheelies with it? Although I have never tried, I would doubt either of my bikes could lift the front wheel. I have had non riders say silly things about wheelies, but never anyone who actually rides.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:20 AM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 345 Likes on 175 Posts

Well i have 3 HD's and all of them are quite capable of doing wheelies although the 103 Road Glide is limited to less than a foot. After i did the 103 big bore and cams i amused myself by doing small wheelies until the inner child dissapeared and the adult reappeared. Replacement belts are expensive! I would propose that someone doing wheelies on a late model harley has not had to replace a belt yet.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:26 AM
Nubz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by truckerdave
Well i have 3 HD's and all of them are quite capable of doing wheelies although the 103 Road Glide is limited to less than a foot. After i did the 103 big bore and cams i amused myself by doing small wheelies until the inner child dissapeared and the adult reappeared. Replacement belts are expensive! I would propose that someone doing wheelies on a late model harley has not had to replace a belt yet.
All good fun until the adult only reappears in the ER.

J/K
I will admit I am too much of a chicken *** to even try any of that stuff lol.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:28 AM
Robmitch49
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know the type. I doubt the guy even had a bike.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:32 AM
stereoguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 185 Posts

I know my Sporty is capable, but I never have pulled the wheel or burnt the tire, I have nothing to prove to anyone.

Jim

Old 06-04-2013, 08:37 AM
mmf
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Used to do it on my sportster but not my RGC. Of course that was 20 years ago and I like to think I am a little smarter.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:39 AM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
So, the other guy actually had a bike and said he was doing wheelies with it? Although I have never tried, I would doubt either of my bikes could lift the front wheel. I have had non riders say silly things about wheelies, but never anyone who actually rides.
To hear him tell it, yes, he rides, did I see a bike? Nah!

I think most of the people who come up with this crap are FOS.

That said, these people are effecting the image of folks who do ride, spreading BS to the less knowledgeable masses.

I am sure I could muster a wheelie on my RGC CVO if I was inclined, let see, rev the motor, dump the clutch, stress the belt among other items, and then it's gotta come back down to earth, hmmm! the fairing is gonna take a jolt for sure cause the 855 lb bike just aint gonna settle smoothly.

Yep! that's what I want to do, intentionally abuse my 40K worth of bike. Yes Sir!

Old 06-04-2013, 08:43 AM
trainedkilla
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I use to love lifting the wheel on my sportbike....once I get on the Harley, I never even get the urge.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:54 AM
CtCruzer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But sometimes you got to let inner child out

At SBB myrtle this year im on left

Then run 3 my boys and i tripled up

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b59/CT-CRUZER/?action=view&current=2013-05-13_00-08-26_310.mp4

Then the aftermath

Yup blew tire
but had a blast loving my new tire now

Last edited by CtCruzer; 06-04-2013 at 09:05 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheelies and Burnouts