General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Critters

Old 06-07-2013, 03:17 PM
karamaxjoe
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Critters

In my five years of riding I'm yet to have to have an encounter with a critter on the road. I've drilled a couple birds, but nothing running on the ground.

I'd like to hear your run ins with squirrels, coons or other small animals. My first thought would be to swerve out of the way if one jumps out, but would it be better to just press on and destroy them? Has anyone ever run over a coon without losing control?

No deer stories please. That's an obvious answer.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:19 PM
Xube
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DON'T dodge!

Old 06-07-2013, 03:27 PM
45fan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know the best answer (if there is one) but I watched my Father in Law hit a medium size dog about 20 years ago. He didnt have time to dodge, the thing came around a hedge in a yard and was in front of him. Turned the bike and he went down. He was lucky with only a broken collar bone and some scrapes but totaled the brand new virago!

Old 06-07-2013, 03:50 PM
pastime
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The odds are in your favor to just hit whatever it is then stop and check your bike. Even the best riders have laid down trying emergency dodges. Hit a squirrel once, nothing else. No damage to the bike, squirrel wasn't so lucky.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:55 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,842 Likes on 8,229 Posts

The only thing I try to dodge are dogs and cats, everything else is fair game... thump thump. I aint crashin my Harley over a gray squirrel !!

Old 06-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Cosmic Charlie
Elite HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 57 Posts

a cat ran into my side cover once - bounced - and ran away (cat was sure he could beat me- NOT) I was slowing down for him, too

With dogs I usually initially crowd toward them on the approach and them slightly swerve away as they're about to bit my *** (cause my leg is raised up)

not sure if thats the best way - but works for me

I like dogs & cats so I do (try) to avoid them without killing myself

the racoons & beavers on my street are so big that hitting one at speed would not be pretty (regarding my bike or me) F them - but they are not worth hitting a 20-30 + pound rodent

Old 06-07-2013, 06:34 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,725 Posts

Had a dog run into the front wheel, flipped him head over heels ahead of the bike, landed on his feet and stumbled, but didn't fall down. I'd slowed to probably less than 20mph, but it still didn't seem possible. T boned an armadillo at around 30mph, sure didn't feel good on the backside when that rear tire hit, was like a speed bump. I kept it up somehow, and the 'dillo ran away. I'd have thought a hit like that would have smashed him, guess they're tough.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Rooster37
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ran into buckeye chuck (groundhog) two days ago. He was really big for a groundhog, ran into the steel toe _(pure Luck). Hit a tree rat and a mink over the last two years. I dont swerve for small animals, I figure it is better to hit them. I only swerve if it is going to wreck me. By the way, 5 years, you are lucky..

Old 06-07-2013, 06:49 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

two years ago I came upon a mountain lion sitting at the edge of the road, I went left to the opposing lane and as I was about to pass..........the cat went to the same place. Tapped the brakes and went back right, striking the cats tail as I passed. No sh*t.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:35 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,763 Likes on 17,437 Posts

Originally Posted by karamaxjoe
In my five years of riding I'm yet to have to have an encounter with a critter on the road. I've drilled a couple birds, but nothing running on the ground.

I'd like to hear your run ins with squirrels, coons or other small animals. My first thought would be to swerve out of the way if one jumps out, but would it be better to just press on and destroy them? Has anyone ever run over a coon without losing control?

No deer stories please. That's an obvious answer.
I've rolled a coon , a full sized german shepherd all kinda dumb smaller 4 footed furry things without losing control but you want a real thrill hit an Armadillo , like bouncing over a football . That one put me sideways at 60 , lost some shoe leather and had to threaten to sue my ******* to get my shorts back .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Critters