General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rider - Lindby vs Kuryakyn engine guards

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 07:14 AM
Jason Oates
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New rider - Lindby vs Kuryakyn engine guards

So I'm a newer rider, and as much as I don't like the esthetics of engine guards/highway bars on my beautiful Wide Glide, I definitely would appreciate the safety benefits of them, particularly being a newer rider.

My question, is what is your all's experience between the two? I like the look of the Lindby's, but the Kuryakyn's have built in footpeg extensions. Is one truly better than the other? I've search around here, but nothing concrete between the two. Reviews are both good and other than look, is there a big difference? What would you recommend? (And I do have forward controls.)

Lindby

Kuryakyn

Old 06-21-2013, 07:23 AM
DNC
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got the Lindby one in black on my bike. Installed it a few months ago. I like the look, but it doesn't feel as "sturdy" as a stock one. The stock one also went quite a bit higher than the Lindby one; the latter has a lower profile. I put on a set of highway pegs on, and its comfortable. I suppose you may not even need those, if you want to throw your feet up on top of those rubber strips on either side. Overall, I like it and think it looks good and serves its purpose. Can't comment on the Kuryakn product since I havent used that one. Another thing to consider, and maybe you know or see someone with this setup locally, so that you can try it out before buying either one, is that the horizontal bar (with the rubber strips) is somewhat close to the brake pedal. Not a big deal, but the first few times i would inadvertently hit it with my foot when going for the brake. Just takes some getting used to. Hasn't been an issue since then.

Last edited by DNC; 06-21-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:35 AM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,869 Likes on 595 Posts

I use the Lindby Multibar; don't use the built in footrests on the top of the bar as it's a bit too high for me. I just liked the look of the bar. Lindby does make a good bar though. I do find that my bar, for me anyway, is a bit too narrow for forward controls. I think the HD bars may be better suited for forward controls.
The function of the bars is to protect the engine, not your legs. When you lay your bike over and you discover minimal, if any damage, you'll appreciate their function.

Attached Thumbnails New rider - Lindby vs Kuryakyn engine guards-img00029-20110603-2049.jpg  
Old 06-21-2013, 08:28 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

As said above, the fixed position of the Lindby foot rests are often not where you'd ideally what to put your own feet. A standard engine guard with fully adjustable mounts and pegs will let you put the pegs where they are the most comfortable for YOU.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:56 PM
SuperglideKen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I got the Lindby bar after seeing a guy pull into a gas station parking lot and he hit some loose gravel and down she went. His bike slid about 20 yards and I knew it was all Scratched up. After we picked him up we went over to his bike and I was expecting the worse. Only scratched his Guard bar and rear turn signal.That sold me.

Attached Thumbnails New rider - Lindby vs Kuryakyn engine guards-guardbarjpg.jpg   New rider - Lindby vs Kuryakyn engine guards-guardbars2.jpg   New rider - Lindby vs Kuryakyn engine guards-headlight2.jpg  
Old 06-21-2013, 01:15 PM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

The lindy looks the best, but is the least functional. Like fake ****.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:40 PM
baimo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was also a new rider last year. I would wait until you hear from some people that have dropped your bike with those or other bars on it. I am 59 and had a senior (or inexperienced) moment. Pulled up to my shed, went to open the shed doors and ooops forgot to put the kickstand down. Except for a tiny scratch on the bottom of my engine guard that I touched up, there was no other damage at all. I use Harley moustache bars that were made for my slim. I would never buy a bike without engine guards after that drop.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:34 PM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by rubberfrog
The lindy looks the best, but is the least functional. Like fake ****.
Since when are bolt-ons less functional? Last time I checked, they could be motor-boated just as easy!

Old 06-21-2013, 08:22 PM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,869 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperglideKen
I got the Lindby bar after seeing a guy pull into a gas station parking lot and he hit some loose gravel and down she went. His bike slid about 20 yards and I knew it was all Scratched up. After we picked him up we went over to his bike and I was expecting the worse. Only scratched his Guard bar and rear turn signal.That sold me.
This is the bar I have on my Heritage. I pulled off on the shoulder of a two-lane thinking the minimal gravel shoulder was solid...it wasn't. Other than a little embarrassment, absolutely zero damage to the bike. And it's just as solid as anything HD sells...

Old 06-21-2013, 08:26 PM
bloomington g
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Oates
So I'm a newer rider, and as much as I don't like the esthetics of engine guards/highway bars on my beautiful Wide Glide, I definitely would appreciate the safety benefits of them, particularly being a newer rider.

My question, is what is your all's experience between the two? I like the look of the Lindby's, but the Kuryakyn's have built in footpeg extensions. Is one truly better than the other? I've search around here, but nothing concrete between the two. Reviews are both good and other than look, is there a big difference? What would you recommend? (And I do have forward controls.)

Lindby

Kuryakyn
No bar on a WG.

Quick Reply: New rider - Lindby vs Kuryakyn engine guards