General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for newbie "how to buy a harley" advice.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 05:58 PM
Stock03GT
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for newbie "how to buy a harley" advice.

I have had a bike for a few years now .. got a Honda Shadow 600. It basically fell into my lap, only had 250km on it .. was in perfect shape .. been stored for years in a heated shed. I have since been bitten .. and love riding .. so I figured its time to upgrade. I have went out and sat on a bunch of bikes, have not ridden many. I don't know a lot about bikes, so I am looking for some advice on things to look for, things to avoid, etc. I really like the fat boys ... and I think I have about $12K or so to spend and with that in mind think I want a 2007 or 2008 fatboy.

So ... like I said .. I am looking for some advice. Some of my questions are: what is considered high mileage, does mileage really matter, stick with or stay away from dealerships, ... all that good stuff. If it matters, I am 6"1 and 220lbs.

I appreciate all the help.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:06 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I'd go to a dealership and sit on them, get the off the kick stand to see how they feel. Then test drive some. Look at both new and used.

If you know squat about Harleys, I'd stay away from individuals selling them. I made that mistake on my first one.

But that's what I'd do.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:26 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Find a good dealership and they will walk you through the process which should include test rides, sitting on different models, maintenance and service, accessories, and explaining what each model offers. If you are set on getting a fatboy you could still look at and test ride other softail models and make sure your getting the right model for you.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:33 PM
Stock03GT
2nd Gear

Thanks for the input so far ... I have been to my local Harley dealer .. talked with a very helpful sales guy for a good while. He walked me through all the models, spoke a lot about the pros and cons of each as he saw them and I sat on a bunch. He said that they are good about me taking the used bikes out for a test run as well. My only issue with them is that I have watching for a couple months now and they don't seem to get the bike i want there, so I have been looking around online. It seems like I can find bikes online but they always seem much higher mileage than what is at my Harley dealer .. but I don't know what's considered high for a bike. If it has 35-40 K on it .. will it need work done, even if its just regular wear items. I would rather pay a bit more up front and not have to worry about that for a while.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:21 PM
Lightyear68
Tourer
Received 121 Likes on 44 Posts

A few things to know:

(1) Your bike should factor what kind of rider you are and will likely be. Touring the interstates? Barhopping locally? Cruising backroads twisties?
(2) How you fit on the bike matters. Comfortable reach with arms and legs? Forward controls? Mid controls? Foot plates or pegs?
(3) Blacked out or shiny chrome? Like to detail and clean it? Prefer low maintenance on the cleaning?
(4) New is great if you can afford it. Break-in of new bikes is important. IF you buy used, take it to an independent mechanic and pay him to check it out thoroughly. Consider a warranty if you're concerned about unexpected costs.
(5) Test ride and wait to buy...you're opinions and taste will change over time as you get more information and experience more bikes.
(6) Consider buying new from an out of state dealer--Haulbikes will ship to your front door from any dealer in America between 500 and 1000 dollars--well worth it to get the bike you want. Don't buy used if you haven't at least seen it--preferably have it checked out like I said before.
(7) Don't pay full retail. Search buying tips (buying tips: hdforums] on how to negotiate with Harley dealers.
(8) Use this forum to check out deals--our members will shoot straight and help you know if you're getting ripped off.
(9) Don't buy all the Harley gear and roll off the lot looking silly.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:46 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

ChopperExchange is a good resource. All the above advice is sound. Relax and take your time, I spent a year looking for "the" bike that spoke to me after I was bitten by the H-D virus.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:51 PM
mainboom150
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

all I can say is find a dealer with an older salesman ask how long he has been riding. I have found the older the salesman that actually rides the less bs they are gonna fill you with. but id test ride every single bike you think you might want. and don't take no for an answer they should have used bikes there and they will let you ride them a lot further and longer then a new bike and there isn't going to be much difference as long as they where made in the last few years.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:44 PM
Stock03GT
2nd Gear

Thanks everyone .. appreciate the replies.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:32 PM
2011FLHTK
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

There's good advice in the previous replies. Make sure you get the right type of bike for the type of riding you will do, and make sure it is comfortable or you may end up with back pain, neck pain or leg pain.

Assuming the bike is fit and safe, once you get your bike spend your money on comfort before style.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:18 PM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

First, go with a Touring RK or EG. They are the best. Dealer will bleed you on used. You are in Ontario with a short riding season. For 12k you can find a 5 year old RK with 5-15k miles from a private owner, probably already with extras. With low miles you should not have problems to worry about

Quick Reply: Looking for newbie "how to buy a harley" advice.