General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Without getting all defensive....

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 04:12 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Without getting all defensive....

Can anyone reasonably without being brand defensive why Harley takes years to solve simple issues or worse uses less expensive inferior parts when they know they have a reliability reputation that follows?

I want to believe it's because they don't get good long term reliability numbers because From what I am seeing shopping for a bike the most common mileages are between 5-10,000 miles after three years. With many 04s even at less than 20K. Looking at Craigslist I don't see all that many Harleys for sale with high miles. Most are low mileage bikes many over 5 years old with less than 5K. I saw a 04 Road king custom here with 995 miles. With a Stage I and Rheinharts...995 miles. Buyer wants $13,500 for an 04. Another 04 here with 5600 miles. $11,500

They made those spring cam tensioners for years before finally replacing them with the hydraulics and increasing the output of the oil pump as well,

Why press on a crank when a few spot welds would solve a lot of problems. Especially for those who build out their bikes?

Why switch from Timken bearings to cheaper bearings on a $20,000 motorcycle? And wheel bearings. Inner cam bearings. IS it because they KNOW people are not putting the miles on and will take care of the few who do in the mean time saving money? Relying on ignorant (and I mean that literally not in disrespect) second and third owners to find the issues then trade? People do not do the homework before buying a used Harley like I am doing. They are not aware of Primary case bearings on the early Dyna. Or the twin dowel fix.

I know there are many who will defend and protect the MOCO from the slightest attack and all wrong doing. Those people are part of the problem. IMO. They make excuses for Harley Davidson. Old Timers may view the bike's mechanics as a rite of passage. "If you can't wrench it you don't deserve it" attitude. I understand that thinking given Harleys evolution over the past 20 years in particular and clean nail riders.

But some of these issues could have been resolved a long time ago. I want to believe it’s because real reliability numbers take awhile to come in for Harley Davidson on new designs or changes. I don’t want to think they are cutting corners because people just don't ride the bikes as much as a Gold Wing owner. Or are those things a good excuse for the dealer to push the $2000 Service contracts I never purchased before on any bike nor would have used.

I am in the market for a Road King Custom. I will find one with less than 7K and know in a year or so I will not check, but will replace the Cam Tensioners, With an SE Cam Plate, oil pump and stator on any pre 06 whether the bike needs it or not. I figure that as a expense I will have to make if I want to keep the bike for the long term. Ridiculous? Or prudent?

Last edited by TenMidgets; 07-07-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:24 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Honda makes great bikes such as the vtx 1800 and gold wing. You might want to check them out as you can find a used one really cheap with the Honda reputation for reliability.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:25 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,785 Posts

Most Harleys are owned by old rich farts who park them in their 4 car garages and use them a few times a year. They order out their maintenance and a guy with two big boobed helpers show up and service it. They seldom have a problem but if they do, James at the local HD brings a new one. HD has little need to change or improve. In fact, their management stage 3 and above are not allowed to have a Hdforms.com favorite

Old 07-07-2013, 04:28 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tailsfrommycrib
Honda makes great bikes such as the vtx 1800 and gold wing. You might want to check them out as you can find a used one really cheap with the Honda reputation for reliability.
and the defense lawyers start in.....Really?

Old 07-07-2013, 04:31 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Most Harleys are owned by old rich farts who park them in their 4 car garages and use them a few times a year. They order out their maintenance and a guy with two big boobed helpers show up and service it. They seldom have a problem but if they do, James at the local HD brings a new one. HD has little need to change or improve. In fact, their management stage 3 and above are not allowed to have a Hdforms.com favorite
So you believe HD is not motivated to improve on issues quickly or at least keep in place stronger parts because of the guy above you saying ...Don't like it? go buy a Honda?

Old 07-07-2013, 04:31 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,837 Likes on 17,455 Posts

Originally Posted by TenMidgets
Can anyone reasonably without being brand defensive why Harley takes years to solve simple issues or worse uses less expensive inferior parts when they know they have a reliability reputation that follows?

I want to believe it's because they don't get good long term reliability numbers because From what I am seeing shopping for a bike the most common mileages are between 5-10,000 miles after three years. With many 04s even at less than 20K. Looking at Craigslist I don't see all that many Harleys for sale with high miles. Most are low mileage bikes many over 5 years old with less than 5K. I saw a 04 Road king custom here with 995 miles. With a Stage I and Rheinharts...995 miles. Buyer wants $13,500 for an 04. Another 04 here with 5600 miles. $11,500

They made those spring cam tensioners for years before finally replacing them with the hydraulics and increasing the output of the oil pump as well,

Why press on a crank when a few spot welds would solve a lot of problems. Especially for those who build out their bikes?

Why switch from Timken bearings to cheaper bearings on a $20,000 motorcycle? And wheel bearings. Inner cam bearings. IS it because they KNOW people are not putting the miles on and will take care of the few who do in the mean time saving money? Relying on ignorant (and I mean that literally not in disrespect) second and third owners to find the issues then trade? People do not do the homework before buying a used Harley like I am doing. They are not aware of Primary case bearings on the early Dyna. Or the twin dowel fix.

I know there are many who will defend and protect the MOCO from the slightest attack and all wrong doing. Those people are part of the problem. IMO. They make excuses for Harley Davidson. Old Timers may view the bike's mechanics as a rite of passage. "If you can't wrench it you don't deserve it" attitude. I understand that thinking given Harleys evolution over the past 20 years in particular and clean nail riders.

But some of these issues could have been resolved a long time ago. I want to believe it’s because real reliability numbers take awhile to come in for Harley Davidson on new designs or changes. I don’t want to think they are cutting corners because people just don't ride the bikes as much as a Gold Wing owner. Or are those things a good excuse for the dealer to push the $2000 Service contracts I never purchased before on any bike nor would have used.

I am in the market for a Road King Custom. I will find one with less than 7K and know in a year or so I will not check, but will replace the Cam Tensioners, With an SE Cam Plate, oil pump and stator on any pre 06 whether the bike needs it or not. I figure that as a expense I will have to make if I want to keep the bike for the long term. Ridiculous? Or prudent?

As long as dummies like you keep dropping that credit app as fast as they can unload them from the factory what incentive does the MoCo have to change a damn thing ? Obviously what they are doing works for the shareholders .

Money talks you want to get the motherships attention don't spend it ..........................

Old 07-07-2013, 04:36 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker

As long as dummies like you keep dropping that credit app as fast as they can unload them from the factory what incentive does the MoCo have to change a damn thing ? Obviously what they are doing works for the shareholders .

Money talks you want to get the motherships attention don't spend it ..........................
Not me. I don't do credit on anything. I am cash buyer and I will only drop $10k tops on a used low mileage Road King. I am not one of those guys who would go the HD and drop $22K on a new bike just because I can A Harley is a Harley year doesn't matter. Except when it comes to maintenance.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:41 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by TenMidgets
and the defense lawyers start in.....Really?
I could careless about the moco. Logically if you feel Harley's are unreliable you would choose something that is known for reliability. We have the freedom to buy what we want and there are a lot of choices when it come to motorcycles. I don't feel the need to say anything negative about any certain brand because money speaks louder than words and I simply will not do business with a company that I do not like or I feel make poor quality products. I have NEVER had any problem with any of the Half dozen Harley's I have owned and I rode those things everywhere including my 2007 sportster. If I had signicant problems with any of my Harley's I would not be here.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:41 PM
RLE
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would assume its partially due to engineers and bean counters making decisions. And for every thousand engineers there might be one that has a real world clue. They'll swear to the death that the sky is green and the grass is blue. And they have to be right, their degree proves it. The guys assembling and wrenching on these bikes are probably know their stuff, but they're opinions are those of minions to the big wigs.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:45 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tailsfrommycrib
I could careless about the moco. Logically if you feel Harley's are unreliable you would choose something that is known for reliability. We have the freedom to buy what we want and there are a lot of choices when it come to motorcycles. I don't feel the need to say anything negative about any certain brand because money speaks louder than words and I simply will not do business with a company that I do not like or I feel make poor quality products. I have NEVER had any problem with any of the Half dozen Harley's I have owned and I rode those things everywhere including my 2007 sportster. If I had signicant problems with any of my Harley's I would not be here.
Fair enough.

Quick Reply: Without getting all defensive....