General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about SEPST

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 06:30 PM
JohnnyAZ
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Question about SEPST

So according to my dealership, my PCV corrupted my ECM and is replacing it under warranty but recommended a flash based tuner. They said if another piggy-back tuner corrupted it they would not replace under warranty.

So I've decided to order SEPST from kutterHD to save $100 from what the dealer would charge. However, my dealer also told me that with SEPST they charge $120 just to flash a canned map onto the bike. So my question: Isn't it possible to load the same map they would by downloading it with the Super Tuner software? I'm planning on cams and dyno-tune this winter and just need something to get me through until then.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:34 PM
omaho5
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had my '12 Road King tuned and dynode using an SEPST. Tq and Power gains were not great, but engine is a gem now.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:35 PM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

the SEPST is great

imo, the flash does nothing other than make the cash register go kaching!!

You have already bought the tuner so the charge for the dyno tune is three hours labor. Any future tunes, ie new cams, will only cost one hour labor so you are actually saving by going this route vs flash with cams and dyno tune later.

Tucson HD has excellent dyno tuners. Andy and Marco have tuned four different bikes for me and done a superb job.

Bwana

Old 07-31-2013, 07:46 PM
Wicked Jim
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With the USB cable and the software you can download the canned tune from the CD and modify the tables from there.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:00 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyAZ
So according to my dealership, my PCV corrupted my ECM and is replacing it under warranty but recommended a flash based tuner. They said if another piggy-back tuner corrupted it they would not replace under warranty.
BS. there is no way that a pcv can corrupt your pcv. the pcv is downrange of the ecm.

Originally Posted by bwana1
imo, the flash does nothing other than make the cash register go kaching!!

You have already bought the tuner so the charge for the dyno tune is three hours labor. Any future tunes, ie new cams, will only cost one hour labor so you are actually saving by going this route vs flash with cams and dyno tune later.
how can your first tune take 3 hours and any future tunes (based on engine mods) only be 1 hr? i've never heard anyone else doing this, is it possibly a local shop policy?

Old 07-31-2013, 09:15 PM
JohnnyAZ
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bwana1
the SEPST is great

Tucson HD has excellent dyno tuners. Andy and Marco have tuned four different bikes for me and done a superb job.
Yeah, just to clarify Bwana, Tucson HD did a dyno tune with your stage 1 and charged for 3hrs and then later you threw cams in and only charged for 1 hour for a re-tune? Either way I'm glad to here they do a solid job tuning was planning on riding up to Mesa for a tune.

And skratch, Dynajet agrees with you about the PCV not being able to corrupt the ECM short of some sort of freak bent pin/connector short-out. I'm just trying to preserve my warranty as much as possible with the dealership.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:47 PM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
BS. there is no way that a pcv can corrupt your pcv. the pcv is downrange of the ecm.

how can your first tune take 3 hours and any future tunes (based on engine mods) only be 1 hr? i've never heard anyone else doing this, is it possibly a local shop policy?

If you read what I said, "there is only a one hour charge for labor on the second tune or subsequent tunes". They still spend ~three hours on the additional tune but, you are only charged one hour labor.

Questions, call Tucson HD and talk to Andy.

Bwana

Old 08-01-2013, 02:01 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
Yeah, I'm kinda scratching my head on this too.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:27 PM
Stash905
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your dealer is full of crap.
Go somewhere else and forget the download.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:56 PM
ghira75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why not getting a PV with autotune? free maps for your set up, free map again if you change set up, undefinitely. flashing the ECM so nothing remains attached unless you want to and you can flash different maps on the fly if you wish to.

why do people bother with the sepst?

Quick Reply: Question about SEPST