General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My HD Rain Gear sucks the big one

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 05:54 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down My HD Rain Gear sucks the big one

Bought this gear 2 years ago and cant even return it. Dont know what the name of it is, but it was the "best" they had. Around 200 bucks. Used it for the first time yesterday, riding through Kansas City heading west. Felt right away that my legs below the knees got wet. Apparently where the heat resistand patches are on the inside of the rain pants, is where the water gets in. Then it went down into my boots from there. Damn....
Had the jacket hood on, under the helmet and my sweatshirt's back got not soaking wet, but wet.
Wast of my money and wont buy another HD Rain anything.
Now, i'll be looking for new gear in sturgis. What ya guys recommend?

Old 08-05-2013, 05:58 AM
vegashd
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny, most will recommend HD rain gear. For the money you get a fantastic product! But go but some crappy frog toggs or something and have fun! Don't ever step foot in another HD store cause your obviously hell bent on them.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:07 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by vegashd
Funny, most will recommend HD rain gear. For the money you get a fantastic product! But go but some crappy frog toggs or something and have fun! Don't ever step foot in another HD store cause your obviously hell bent on them.
I know many recommend that gear. That had a lot to do with my purchase.
So...are "crappy frog toggs" good or crappy?

Whats this never stepping into a HD store all about?

Last edited by Pete6114; 08-05-2013 at 06:10 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:14 AM
Warren9073
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rode to Laconia in 2 days of rain (followed us all the up the coast). The three of us all had different suits and all three of us had wet feet. My HD suit kept the rest of me completey dry. I think no matter what suit you use the water is going to blow up the pants leg. Read here that some will put plastic bags over their boots before putting the suit on.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:19 AM
Karnevil
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Frogg toggs are better left on the shelf in the store. I love my HD rain gear! i bought some rain "boot covers" i out them under the pants and have not had wet feet ever! I think HD has a set of them. YEP! try these...http://www.harley-davidson.com/shop/...e-rain-gaiters

Old 08-05-2013, 06:21 AM
zeke383
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I am suprised to hear that your HD suit didn't keep you dry. Frogg Togg reviews are good and bad. My riding buddy has a set that he wore in the downpouring ride to Laconia. He was bone dry. I bought my wife some Frogg Toggs because they were cheap and they pack well. She has always stayed dry. Some do not like them though. Another "quality" suit to look at is the Tourmaster brand.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:24 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Warren9073
Rode to Laconia in 2 days of rain (followed us all the up the coast). The three of us all had different suits and all three of us had wet feet. My HD suit kept the rest of me completey dry. I think no matter what suit you use the water is going to blow up the pants leg. Read here that some will put plastic bags over their boots before putting the suit on.
You may have a point there, but the bottom of the pant legs where tight, it was on the inside of the leg only, right where the patches are sown in, right up to the knees. I'd bet the patches are leaking. Maybe i'll pick up some water- proofing stuff at a sports store and try that before i junk the rain gear

Old 08-05-2013, 06:26 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Herrfasching
Frogg toggs are better left on the shelf in the store. I love my HD rain gear! i bought some rain "boot covers" i out them under the pants and have not had wet feet ever! I think HD has a set of them. YEP! try these...http://www.harley-davidson.com/shop/...e-rain-gaiters
Yup...got them and had them on.
Getting ready now to hit the road now. No rain today and wont need them. Thank God.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:31 AM
Voldemort
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife and I both have HD rain gear. Rode back from upper Wisconsin two days in the rain and the bottoms kept us perfectly dry. Of course the top half had the typical rain down the neck due to the down pours we were going through but other then that we stayed dry.

Does anyone have any tricks that prevent the rain from going down your neck. I try to keep the neck as tight as I can but is still gets in. We have three quarter helmets with full flip down shields.

Pete6114, probably a dumb question but did you have your lower part of your legs zipped?

Old 08-05-2013, 06:41 AM
Inspector 12
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I look at it this way, all brands of rain gear will face certain challenges as the wind helps the water to infiltrate. A little water down the neck or a little water on the feet is certainly a lot better than the soaked to the skin feeling of not having any rain gear.

I bought HD rain gear (off the clearance rack for half price less another 10%) for around $100 bucks. Have worn it a couple of times and it worked as expected. When I am that worried about not getting wet, I drive the pickup......

Quick Reply: My HD Rain Gear sucks the big one