General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headphones for the highway

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 09:33 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Headphones for the highway

Was wondering if anyone had a pair of headphones that they use to listen to music while on the highway? I have a pair of sony's that I use with my phone for working out but too much wind noise on the highway to use them for when I am on the highway.

I probably will be making several highway trips here and would like to have some music on the way but at this point I am not ready for a fork bag radio or mounting speakers.

Any suggestions?

Old 08-11-2013, 09:57 PM
PorthosCO
Road Master

Received 116 Likes on 87 Posts

Chief,
I use a pair like these:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/ifrogz-Aud...ilver/19426031
They fit nice under a full face, I haven't tried them with my half helmet yet. The ones I bought have three different ear bud sizes and I just picked one that let's me stuff em in my ears like ear plugs.

DJ

Old 08-11-2013, 09:57 PM
copaup
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

I use a set of Klipsch s4s. I replaced the standard ear buds with Comply foam plugs. They are made from a soft memory foam that expands in your ear like ear plugs. They do a great job of blocking most of the wind noise and let me play music at less than insane volume levels. I use the plugs even when not listening to music as they block just enough ambient noise that my hearing is still fine after an all day ride.

Before I started using the Comply plugs I used several different brands of ear buds. Skull Candy worked OK for what I needed and were cheap enough that I didn't feel bad when I either stepped on them or the rain finally killed them. Sound quality was OK but not great, but then again I'm on a bike not in a noise isolated listening room looking for every subtle nuance of a performance.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:58 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

as long as you pull them out if you see cops.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:08 PM
PorthosCO
Road Master

Originally Posted by maddghost
as long as you pull them out if you see cops.
Yep, I've always wondered what that ticket would be like.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:08 PM
HarDlife
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't had a chance to use them on the bike yet, but I'm sure my skullcandy buds will work great (I use them on the riding mower). They are the premium ones ($40+) and sound pretty damn good, IMO. These also come w/ 3 different tip sizes, so they'll fit just about any ear snugly. As far as LE, just route the wire down your back, under your shirt.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:16 PM
HarDlife
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PorthosCO
Yep, I've always wondered what that ticket would be like.
I find it ironic that you could get a ticket for that, but retard cagers ride around all day with their faces in their laps texting, or blabbing on their phone, or at least a half dozen other things they do besides drive, and get away with it.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:17 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master

I forgot to mention I normally wear a half helmet which of course allows for more wind noise.

I often thought about the legality of wearing them, havent done any research though... But my line of thinking is what is the difference between me rocking out and a deaf person riding?

Old 08-11-2013, 10:23 PM
PorthosCO
Road Master

Originally Posted by WideGlideFever
I forgot to mention I normally wear a half helmet which of course allows for more wind noise.

I often thought about the legality of wearing them, havent done any research though... But my line of thinking is what is the difference between me rocking out and a deaf person riding?
I bet the earplug material ones do the trick.

My son's deaf - not driving age yet - but yeah I don't get the difference either.

Hardlife- I always kind of figured when I get pulled over ill tell them it's my hands free device. Lol.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:23 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master

Originally Posted by copaup
I use a set of Klipsch s4s. I replaced the standard ear buds with Comply foam plugs. They are made from a soft memory foam that expands in your ear like ear plugs. They do a great job of blocking most of the wind noise and let me play music at less than insane volume levels. I use the plugs even when not listening to music as they block just enough ambient noise that my hearing is still fine after an all day ride.

Before I started using the Comply plugs I used several different brands of ear buds. Skull Candy worked OK for what I needed and were cheap enough that I didn't feel bad when I either stepped on them or the rain finally killed them. Sound quality was OK but not great, but then again I'm on a bike not in a noise isolated listening room looking for every subtle nuance of a performance.

Thats seems like a good option to go with. I have tried skull candy before for just workout purposed and didnt care for them. Figured I would have to spend a little $$$ to get something decent, just dont want to spend cash multiple times till I find the right one for me. Might go with this option coupled with the Comply plugs.

Quick Reply: Headphones for the highway