General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The addition of touch-screens.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 07:18 AM
rossn2
Road Master
Received 131 Likes on 73 Posts

Why? Why? Why? I get on my bike to get away from the phone and junk. If you need me, leave me a voice mail and I'll call at the first stop.

you still need to take your hand(s) off the controls that matter most while you're getting all touchy feely with your touch screen
Nope, voice activated just like in my F150..touch screen or voice activated (SYNC)

Last edited by rossn2; 08-29-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:30 AM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the guys from a dealer made a point to me of the screen having a disclaimer not to use it while riding every time it comes on.... I haven't seen it myself.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:37 AM
Dark Knight
Road Captain
Received 146 Likes on 36 Posts

When I'm on my bike a huge part of the enjoyment is to get away and forget about everything. I don't want to see when my boss is calling me or have my wife think that she can reach me at all times now. My mind is off work and all the other BS that's going on.
It's just me and the open road and that's the way I want to keep it.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:45 AM
kwo51
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Helmets with head sets. enough said.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:50 AM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

for christ's sakes. I'm certain there is a way to either power of the the touch screen or simply ignore it. Never seen such a bunch of dramatizing panty wastes! Don't use it if you don't want to or simply don't buy the technology.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:50 AM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

On a side note, I have actually seen riders using their cell phone while riding. Everyone has their face in some device today. Doesn't matter if you are driving, walking in the park, or at a restaurant. Most people are mindlessly staring at screens as they walk, eat, or communicate. I think it's only a matter of time before we start seeing cars with bumper stickers that read, "PUT DOWN THE PHONE AND RIDE !"

Now, everything has its place and I also own an Ipad and Iphone. But I am with a couple of others who just don't understand why anyone would WANT a screen or the ability to take calls on their motorcycle. Isn't part of the appeal of riding it's ability to offer an escape into the present moment and a respite from the daily grind? Outside of safety concerns, I just see a phone and entertainment center as an experience killer that detracts from this.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:16 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastfwd
One of the guys from a dealer made a point to me of the screen having a disclaimer not to use it while riding every time it comes on.... I haven't seen it myself.

I've seen it. It comes up right after the splash screen when the unit is powered up. It's the standard "Failure to pay attention while riding can cause death or serious injury...yada, yada, yada". Then you have to acknowledge the warning before you can proceed. Thanks, legal team.

The closest I have come to using a phone while riding is looking at it to see who's calling me so I can decide if I need to pull over and return it immediately or if it can wait until the next fuel stop.

Last edited by slhanks4; 08-29-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:55 AM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Buckinfitch
you still need to take your hand(s) off the controls that matter most while you're getting all touchy feely with your touch screen.
Like you haven't picked your nose going down the road.....LoL

Old 08-29-2013, 11:20 AM
ringofld
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a hard enough time watching the scenery and the road at the same time"

Old 08-30-2013, 02:28 AM
ultracan
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
I'm sure you can buy an officially licensed one at your favorite Harley Dealership.
I got one with my bike when I bought it. It has never been out of the box.

Quick Reply: The addition of touch-screens.