General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: HOw do you feel about these new bikes
That's my kinda bike
18.14%
Not for me but i dig it
66.67%
Dumbest thing I've seen
7.11%
Destroy them all
8.09%
Voters: 408. You may not vote on this poll

Official New Harley Models 500 and 700 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 01:11 PM
BouncinBob
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finding and modifying a Harley to suit a KLR650 rider.

I am interested in buying and modifying a Harley Street 750 to fit me and my riding style. I welcome any input from the community!
The bike will replace my Kawasaki KLR650 dual sport, however, I will not be trying to equal the complete off road capabilities of the Kawa, just a few of the attributes such as;
> Seat Height: I'm used to 35 inches, could probably get by with just 31. I am just a quarter inch short of six feet tall. 30 inch inseam. I can "flat foot" a KLR. I figure I can find, or home brew, some sort of seat, or brackets, or combination of devices to get me more seat height.
>Foot Controls: I want to stay with mid mount controls and have a riding posture as much like an adventure bike as I can get a Street 750 to be. Willing to compromise.
>Handlebars: Currently I am thinking just get a "mini-ape-hanger" and tilt them back a little. This, with a seat height mod, and mid mount controls, should give me the relaxed "adventure" posture I want, or something close to it. Willing to compromise.
>Suspension: H-D is already touting the Street as having a suspension designed to take up the punishment of urban roads in poor shape. And, my "off road" riding is barely that: A little bit of flat grassy trails, graded unpaved fire roads, etc. I am 95% urban pavement and highway, 5% gentle off road. I have never pushed my Kawa anywhere close to what it is designed for so I am thinking all I would need is tires to handle some part time slow speed gravel and mud, E.G: Like what you would encounter when going to a public campgrounds here in NJ / NY / PA areas of USA.
>Rationale: At this point, many of you are no doubt wondering why I want a Harley at all, So: (1): I want at least one bike that qualifies as American made, with American assembled engine. Christini bikes come close, but, although they have American VINs. the engines are Chinese made and assembled. Zero Motorcycles MORE than qualify, but, are above my budget. The other American Bike makers do not offer any bikes that have a curb weight below 500 lbs as far as I can find. (2): Harley sound! I have now seen two videos of the street 750. No, they don"t sound like old school full size Harleys, but, to me at least, they do have a pleasant V-twin rumble I can be happy about. Hope that sound track was not doctored... (3): Visuals. I do like the look of the blacked out Street 750. A lot.
So, I begin to search and hope for the best. My KLR is going to a friend, where I can visit it and ride it occaisionally, and, I am keeping a KLX250S as my backup commuter and true "dirt" bike. But, I someday hope for a light weight Harley to fit me and my riding style. Could a modified Street 750 or 500 be it?
Happy Holidays!

Old 12-15-2013, 02:56 PM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 533 Posts

It may be a bit early to find Harley 500 / 750 parts other than the dealer but that doesn't mean there aren't parts that will work. Being it was just released it will be the 1st owners that forge the way for mods on these bikes.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:25 PM
Gruamach
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wife and I are looking forward to checking out the 750.
We're talking about a shared "second bike" to jet around on when we're not in the mood for a 800lbs Touring.

I'd really like to just Cafe-racer the crap out of it, but not sure she'd like the bars as low as I'd want to put them But we'll see.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:09 PM
Turbospirites
Cruiser

It be nice for my 4th bike for a commuter bike but I use my 2010 FXD everyday even in winter anyways fix up the FXD make it a weekend bike and take the 500/750 for a daily beater.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:16 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

These bikes are aimed at the scooter Starbucks riders. I'm guessing a nice try for a new market, but will not be surprised if it only last a couple of years

Old 01-15-2014, 06:29 AM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Received 208 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
These bikes are aimed at the scooter Starbucks riders. I'm guessing a nice try for a new market, but will not be surprised if it only last a couple of years
I hear ya there. But, TBO, I'd rather see them there starbucks riders on a Hog than not, and maybe this time around, they'll do a little more riding on their "investment", without thinking that they got taken to the cleaners by us.

I hope they sell a million of those things. As long as it keeps me in the saddle, I don't care. They're not bad looking little bikes, but they could be a little better. I'd like to see them with the same rubber they have on the 48 or the Custom up front. Don't know if they can do it with the front end the way it is, but at the market segment they are aiming at, that kind of rubber gets pricey.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. I expect the grin factor is going to be up there.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:35 AM
Psych0hans
Novice

Sooooooooo.... I actually went and saw be bike today as it's already been launched in India with deliveries to start some time in June. By golly the bike is tiny. I swear it's been designed for midgets... I'm only 5'7"(not tall by any standards) and even I'm cramped on the bike... It supposedly produces 60nm of torque with no word on hp numbers.

Pics...

It's a mystery to me how anyone over 5'5" is going to manage with this bike... I saw no space provided for forward controls either... The quality seems not up to par and switch gear is definitely sub standard by Harley standards... Didn't take many pics this time, but I'll go for a test ride this week and come back with more pics and hopefully something good to say about it...

Last edited by Psych0hans; 03-26-2014 at 07:18 AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:18 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I listened to an interview a few years ago with a director of the Indian Royal Enfield company. He said one of the reasons the Enfield was so successful out there is that it can carry as many as seven passengers IIRC. It'll be interesting to see how many they can get on a new Harley!

Old 03-26-2014, 07:26 AM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts

The wire harness by the front of the tank looks like it was slapped together. Glad they are making the bike to penatrate new global markets and grow thier marketshare, hope they continue to refine it and get the build quality improved over time.

Looks like it is a little bike, for little folks to ride on little streets. There is definitly a market for that around the world.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:33 AM
crush63
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Cycle World Magazine test of the 750 street

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/03/24...pecifications/

Quick Reply: Official New Harley Models 500 and 700 Thread