General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Rear Suspension on 2014 Streetglide?

Old 10-01-2013, 04:24 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

My SG was purchased with 0 psi in the shocks. I knew the shocks were empty as soon as the wife jumped on.

You can also look up the proper PSI for your shocks in the owners manual. It tells you how much air to have for the weight you are riding with.

Just make sure you use a hand pump designed for air shocks or you will blow the hoses or worse.
You can buy a simple hand pump from HD for around $65.00

Old 10-01-2013, 04:26 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

Originally Posted by GrumpyBear
Amazing how many people "trust" someone else to have checked out their bikes for them. You might have a great dealer with an employee that had a bad day. You might have a crappy dealer. Ride off with no psi in the shocks and then worse case come off your bike. Best case try to get the dealer to replace the shocks you ran without air in them.

We are responsible when we ride to make sure we have checked out our own bikes. Cant believe people ride their bikes without checking out the essentials before every trip. I just do not understand how a rider can take a bike to a shop to check out his suspension issue without understanding he needed air in his shocks.

People need to invest in tools and service manuals before they buy the pirate gear on the other side of the shop. Sometimes I wish AMF was back just to weed out our gene pool ...

I think most new bike owners treat the bike the same as they do a new car. They just climb in and turn the key. Some people just don't know any better.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:30 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
My SG was purchased with 0 psi in the shocks. I knew the shocks were empty as soon as the wife jumped on.

You can also look up the proper PSI for your shocks in the owners manual. It tells you how much air to have for the weight you are riding with.

Just make sure you use a hand pump designed for air shocks or you will blow the hoses or worse.
Yeah, what he said. I adjust mine often, depending on how and who I'm riding with. My daughter is a big girl so I keep it around the 30psi range. The OL is only 115lbs so I lower it to around 20psi. Solo, I run slightly lower than that. Keeping it in the recommended range makes all the difference in the world. You definitely want the hand pump for adjustment.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:44 PM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

I thought the SG has much less suspension travel due to being lowered, compared to the Ultra. That's why the ride is not the same.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:49 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Markymannn
I thought the SG has much less suspension travel due to being lowered, compared to the Ultra. That's why the ride is not the same.
The SG has 2 whole inches of travel. Probably about a 1 1/4" of up travel when the rider is aboard.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:56 PM
mainboom150
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

if you ride 2 up on the sg you have to add more air to the shocks. you cannot ride it at the same amount of air as you would solo.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:58 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Street glide has 3/4" less travel than Ultra Classic. 12" shocks on the lowered Street Glide and 13" on the full bagger. Bagger needs more travel as it is set up to carry heavier loads.

It is available with standard air adjustable rear shocks or upgraded hand twist adjustable shocks (Special).

Both need to be adjusted to the load to give the best ride.

The Street Glides come with a really cool looking stock seat that is very comfy for the rider, but in no way is acceptable for the rider over 40 lbs. Must upgrade seat to something like a Sundower with sissy bar to go any distance with a passenger.

Harleys often come with excessive air in the tires. This also must be adjusted to give an acceptable ride.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:19 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Get Ohlins and all your rear suspension problems are over. For a cheaper alternative, go progressive. For a free alternative, get the air adjusted correctly and go on a strict diet. Once you shed the pounds the ride will improve dramatically. I suggest either option 1 or 2. 3 has never worked for me.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:42 PM
popawcritter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GrumpyBear
Amazing how many people "trust" someone else to have checked out their bikes for them. You might have a great dealer with an employee that had a bad day. You might have a crappy dealer. Ride off with no psi in the shocks and then worse case come off your bike. Best case try to get the dealer to replace the shocks you ran without air in them.

We are responsible when we ride to make sure we have checked out our own bikes. Cant believe people ride their bikes without checking out the essentials before every trip. I just do not understand how a rider can take a bike to a shop to check out his suspension issue without understanding he needed air in his shocks.

People need to invest in tools and service manuals before they buy the pirate gear on the other side of the shop. Sometimes I wish AMF was back just to weed out our gene pool ...
^ This ^

Old 10-01-2013, 08:47 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,719 Likes on 2,096 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldskewl

Man 20k for a bike and then a 65.00 hand pump to put air in the bitch. Air or no air every SG I've rode or rented did not do it for me.Any softy with the shocks adjusted or better yet air beats SG's any day according to my back and ***.Each their own.

I hear ya on the gene pool grumpy.Ha ha.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad Rear Suspension on 2014 Streetglide?