General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

road king, dyna, or?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 10:27 PM
cousineau
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default road king, dyna, or?

I'm thinking about upgrading to a new bike but I'm not sure what I want to go with. Right now I have a night train but i want something a little more practical. I'm thinking a road king but I am a really aggressive rider and don't know if it will handle like I want. Anyone have any experience or advice to share?

Old 09-18-2013, 12:13 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

It is heavier and higher off the ground, but will handle much better than your Train. RK is a very nimble bike with lots of turn clearance. For me the Fatbob was a good middle ground between performance, weight, and comfort...but the RK is in a class by itself for comfort and practicality if you can deal with the weight and size...

Old 09-18-2013, 12:41 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

For what it is worth I love the way my Road King
handles and preforms. Yes a Dyna can out run it,
and out maneuver it to some degree, but comfort
+ handling + Performance = Road King

Old 09-18-2013, 01:37 AM
cousineau
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read things about the front end being soft and diving. Have you guys had issues with this?

Old 09-18-2013, 11:14 AM
jimmy z
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

IMO it all depends on your riding.I had a RKC.The RK does it all and has it all.Great bike,but after five years I wanted something a little ligter and sportier.Went with a Street bob.Another great bike.Fast and handles great.But I did miss bags,and the wind shield.So now I ride a Softail Heritage (without back seat and back rest).For me,it's the best of both worlds.With or with out bags,and windshield.And I like the "sitting in the bike" feeling of a softie.I also ride solo 99.9 % of the time,and most of my riding is local stuff.
You said you like to ride aggressively,well,any Dyna will take that task on without any problems,and a Road King will also also take that on with ease.If I had to pick betw.the Dyna and RK again,I think I would go with the RK.

Last edited by jimmy z; 09-18-2013 at 11:16 AM. Reason: forgot to mention
Old 09-18-2013, 01:02 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

You could/should go to a dealership, test ride the ones you're interested in and decide for yourself. It just seems to be the logical thing to do.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:10 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

To really give U good/sound advice, a lot more info is needed about Ur riding style/needs before giving U any suggestions.

Mostly U'll only get (I have this bike and I love it) answers the way U asked Ur question.

Or U could always just park another bike in Ur garage.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:30 PM
tbone108
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello from Redcar England.
JMO but they are the two best bikes in the line up. I have an fxdxi superglide sport with a sorted motor and for me it's a do it all bike which I could not part with. It@ an 05 model and I got it new. When I get my next Harley it will be an older road king and I will sort it from the ground up and park it next to the dyna. If I could only have one it would be the fxdxi. At the bike show the only new Harley that fit like a glove was the Fat Bob. the dyna rails round corners and bikes with foot boards hit and scrape when I ride them. Note that UK roads are not long or straight. Having said all that the Road King is a great bike and if I get one I will bin the foot boards and do work to make it handle better.
Regards tbone.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:48 PM
gatorlaw
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 398 Likes on 124 Posts

Have both and the road king wins hands down for me. Don't get me wrong the dyna is a fun bike bit the king offers so much more room. I'm 6'3" and always felt cramped on the dyna. It was ok for short trips but anything over an hour and it was uncomfortable. My wife rides it now as she made the transition from sporty to the dyna.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:05 PM
tbone108
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a test ride on both and if you are a tall guy and like to ride two up you may lean towards the King which is a great bike. If you are not real tall you can ride all day long on an fxdxi. Have not had a go on the fat bob but think you could do the same.

Quick Reply: road king, dyna, or?