General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H-D "TRAIL" 3/4 Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 04:51 PM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts
Default H-D "TRAIL" 3/4 Helmet

I just bought an H-D "TRAIL" 3/4 helmet, part 98372-12VM. List price $140. I like it so far. 2,000 mile trip coming up this week so that will tell the true story. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how to remove the outer face shield and the inner sun shield and I just don't get it. I look in the instructions - no info on removing either shield. I go on line looking for instructions - no info.

I just don't want to start pushin' and pryin' and then hear the dreadful sound of plastic cracking. Anyone have one of these helmets or something similar with info about shield removal??

Thanks.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:00 AM
V-Man
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately can't help you with your question, but would appreciate a review of the helmet posted here after your trip!

Old 10-13-2013, 02:32 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Harley says the Trail is made by KBC, but I can't find any current 3/4 KBC helmets. There's nothing out there, as you've discovered. This is all I've found, and it's not good:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...ce-shield.html
Let us know what happens.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:38 PM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Okay, after wearing the H-D "trail" helmet almost 2,000 miles, I've decided it's a keeper.

I bought this helmet for 2 reasons:

1. Provide face protection in the rain. I wear a half helmet and of course they don't provide any face protection in the rain, so I was looking for something with face protection w/o going to full face helmet. Anyway, rode 7+ hours in the rain and it proved to protect my face very well. I found that it will tend to fog up if the face shield is fully closed when riding in town. So to defog, I just pulled it open one notch and it allows enough air in to clear fog, but my face remained dry.

2. I was looking for a helmet that would provide face protection while riding my Road King with the windshield off. One of the reasons I like a Road King is to ride with the windshield off. Those of you that ride with no windshield know that about 50 MPH you can't hear anything but screaming wind and at 60 MPH your face starts to contort and you can feel the skin rolling around on your face - eery feeling. I put this helmet on and rolled up to 70 MPH and felt really comfortable and enjoyed the open view over that big chrome headlight. It passed the test.

Another benefit of this helmet is that it kept my head, ears and face very warm. I tucked my neck gaitor under the chin strap and rode in 42 degree weather in relative comfort.

I think it was money well spent. I know it made my road trip much more comfortable than wearing the half helmet. Now - is it as comfortable as a half helmet? No, but it's not uncomfortable. By the way, there is some wind noise too, but not bad. And of course it won't fit in your saddlebag like a half helmet. When riding into the sun, the sunvisor really helped too.

If I missed something, feel fee to ask. Hope this helps.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:46 PM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

might be able to help you just not sure. Can you post a photo of the sde of the helmet where the shiel attaches

Old 10-22-2013, 03:00 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,042 Likes on 11,062 Posts

Originally Posted by UppercaseJC
might be able to help you just not sure. Can you post a photo of the sde of the helmet where the shiel attaches
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...et-with-shield

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-%C2%BE-helmet

Old 10-22-2013, 03:36 PM
Benito
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My response is not an endorsement for any brand of helmet, believe me. It is an overwhelming endorsement for 3/4 helmets, no matter the brand.

I've been riding motorcycles for approx 30 yrs, and just recently, I finally broke down and purchased a 3/4 helmet. I sometimes wore a 1/2 helmet, but usually it was no helmet. I hated the confined feeling... I bought the Nolan N43.

It's funny, it took me to buy a BMW m/c before I even considered a 3/4 helmet.

I just sold the BMW m/c but kept the Nolan N43 3/4 helmet. It's a great helmet. This helmet is like a 6 > 1 helmet, allowing many options. The front chin area gives you the option to run without the front chin area. You can go from FF to 3/4 at the push of a button. Very cool! I experience no claustrophobia with this helmet. I like that it is also very light. The built-in sun visor is also pretty cool...

I highly recommend this helmet!

I'm a believer in wearing helmets now. Before it was always sans helmet, to occasionally a half helmet. The N43 (or any other 3/4 helmet)makes riding a Touring H-D a true pleasure. The added bonus is that it also provides some ear protection as well...

At the end of the day, if you hate wearing anything larger/heavier/more confining than a 1/2 helmet, try a 3/4 helmet. It's a win/win, believe me!

Cheers/B

Old 10-22-2013, 03:45 PM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry not the one I thought. Stop at the dealer the sales people know how to remove it.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:59 PM
V-Man
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by one-up
Okay, after wearing the H-D "trail" helmet almost 2,000 miles, I've decided it's a keeper... If I missed something, feel fee to ask. Hope this helps.
Great review! Many thanks for taking the time to do that. I really like the looks of this helmet and may very well pony up as the replacement for my current 3/4. I know I should wear a FF for the additional protection, but I've tried them and just can't get past the loss of my peripheral vision. The 3/4 seems like the best compromise - and this one sounds like it's a great one.

Thanks again!

Old 10-23-2013, 08:53 AM
siclmn
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you go down on the front of your face you will wish you had not compromised on any thing. Just having a plastic shield over your face is like wearing jeans, it's no protection at all.
Full face.

Quick Reply: H-D "TRAIL" 3/4 Helmet