General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kinda disappointed in Harley Davidson...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 09:30 PM
Perrysplus
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kinda disappointed in Harley Davidson...

Ok, this isn't really a rant but more of a disappointment really. I have always wanted a HD bike for as long as i can remember. Bout a year and a half ago, I made the plunge and scored a great deal on a 06 EGC-beautiful bike! I ride this thing nearly everyday, logged nearly 13k miles on it since I bought it March of 2012. While the bike is severely under powered, and the vibration wears me out after a few hundred miles I got the rug pulled out from under me the other day. I found out about the spring cam tensioners that need to be replaced between 30-40k miles. You have the yank off the top end to get to them so I'm thinking bout a big bore kit so I can actually get some power going with this thing and let them upgrade the cams. But holy crap! Holy design flaw. I get it, it's a harley and I will probably get lynched with this talk lol. I dunno, once I drop this coin on the bike I will almost HAVE to keep it forever cause I will feel like I have so much into it, really made it my own. I would do the work myself but I am NOT a. Motörhead and don't have the special tools that are probably required anyways. I'm just really disappointed that I can spend so much money on a bike and have to do this work so soon in its "life" (milage wise). I understand no bike is perfect and I guess maybe it's all apart of owning a harley...I dunno, maybe I am just missing something.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:32 PM
1911RK
Cruiser

Vibration? Underpowered? You want some cheese with that wine? Jeez.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:35 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Well, if your disappointed, try selling it to someone who'll want it. You could away sell it to a dealership or put an ad in the paper. Just cut your losses and don't look back.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:38 PM
magazine
Cruiser

I think its about $1k to have a shop swap your bike over to the new hydraulic system. I wasn't aware it is necessary to take the topend off.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:51 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

The 'design flaw' as you call it is just the way they was. Your Harley is 8 years old now. I have a 11 King and I love it, but the new 14 kings have some very nice improvements, that's just how it is.
If I was you I'd sell it and get a newer Harley or move on to something more your liking.
Life is way to short, do what you need to do to love the bike you own.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:52 PM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Perrysplus
Ok, this isn't really a rant but more of a disappointment really. I have always wanted a HD bike for as long as i can remember. Bout a year and a half ago, I made the plunge and scored a great deal on a 06 EGC-beautiful bike! I ride this thing nearly everyday, logged nearly 13k miles on it since I bought it March of 2012. While the bike is severely under powered, and the vibration wears me out after a few hundred miles I got the rug pulled out from under me the other day. I found out about the spring cam tensioners that need to be replaced between 30-40k miles. You have the yank off the top end to get to them so I'm thinking bout a big bore kit so I can actually get some power going with this thing and let them upgrade the cams. But holy crap! Holy design flaw. I get it, it's a harley and I will probably get lynched with this talk lol. I dunno, once I drop this coin on the bike I will almost HAVE to keep it forever cause I will feel like I have so much into it, really made it my own. I would do the work myself but I am NOT a. Motörhead and don't have the special tools that are probably required anyways. I'm just really disappointed that I can spend so much money on a bike and have to do this work so soon in its "life" (milage wise). I understand no bike is perfect and I guess maybe it's all apart of owning a harley...I dunno, maybe I am just missing something.
Well,just think how disappointing it is for everyone else to listen to some newbie bitch whine about "design flaws" in a motorcycle he knows jack **** about. Yer outa' yer league,Sparky. Get that shiney new Prius you've secretly lusted after,and leave riding motors to the owners of an actual set of *****. Or ****. You got neither.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:56 PM
Billfishin2
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have to do maintenance on everything that has a motor, HDs are no different ... trade it in on a new one, sell it, fix it, whatever ......

Old 10-14-2013, 10:17 PM
Boost
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Perrysplus
I found out about the spring cam tensioners that need to be replaced between 30-40k miles. You have the yank off the top end to get to them so I'm thinking bout a big bore kit so I can actually get some power going with this thing and let them upgrade the cams.
UHHHHH..... No you don't .....

Old 10-14-2013, 10:18 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,738 Likes on 6,190 Posts

Learn more about it. '06 was when the factory changed to hydraulic tensioners. You may find you don't need to replace them. As far as the power thing goes, that's been going on since forever. Deal with it or change it. No snivelin'.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:33 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Not the cam tensioners thing again. Really dude! Are you that dude on YouTube with all those videos where you talk to some dude that is supposed to be a complete moron when it comes motorcycle. Oh yeah welcome to the HDForum

Quick Reply: Kinda disappointed in Harley Davidson...