General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding all year?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 01:25 PM
CEJohnson21
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Riding all year?

In what states and areas can you ride all year? I live in SoCal and, for the most part, get to ride all year. I have gear for all four seasons, and rain, but I do not need heated gear where I live.

I'll be retiring in about three years, and I plan to move out of California. I don't mind a little cold or snow, but I do not want to put my bike away every year for several months. I'm not opposed to using heated riding gear to keep the riding season open all year long. I won't usually start out in the rain, but I don't mind taking rain gear with me.

I was on the east coast all last week (Philadelphis are, Boston, Manassas, VA, and Orlando). It was obvious the riders in the northern cities were not going to be riding much longer. Orlando was beautiful in October.

I'm leaning towards the Dallas area, Nashville, Arizona, and possibly Arkansas. Weather.com is some help, but I would like to hear from riders that actually live in the area and actually ride.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:35 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CEJohnson21
In what states and areas can you ride all year? I live in SoCal and, for the most part, get to ride all year. I have gear for all four seasons, and rain, but I do not need heated gear where I live.

I'll be retiring in about three years, and I plan to move out of California. I don't mind a little cold or snow, but I do not want to put my bike away every year for several months. I'm not opposed to using heated riding gear to keep the riding season open all year long. I won't usually start out in the rain, but I don't mind taking rain gear with me.

I was on the east coast all last week (Philadelphis are, Boston, Manassas, VA, and Orlando). It was obvious the riders in the northern cities were not going to be riding much longer. Orlando was beautiful in October.

I'm leaning towards the Dallas area, Nashville, Arizona, and possibly Arkansas. Weather.com is some help, but I would like to hear from riders that actually live in the area and actually ride.
I live in southern Illinois, and I ride most of the year....depending on the winter. There are periods in Jan & Feb that it's just too cold to ride, and we have some snow here as well. It depends on what is acceptable to you as far as cold. Most people here store their bikes for weeks or a couple months...I don't.

Having said that, most of the areas you listed would allow for comfortable riding year around....especially Dallas & Arizona. Arkansas...most of the time. I've spent a lot of time in Tennessee, and it's not much different than it is here IMO...they do have some shitty weather at times, but it's a beautiful area.

If you want to ride comfortably year around, stick to the southern states.
I would LOVE to move south, it's just not possible right now for a number of reasons.
Just my $.02

Old 10-15-2013, 01:41 PM
Salinas44
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Texas is pretty awesome. The Bike is never in the garage too long at all, if any. February usually gets a little cold but leather-ing up cures that. I've not gone for a ride more in July and August because of the heat that of the cold. But then I'm fat.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:54 PM
LeadSSled
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I live in east TN and I have been able to ride every month all year. I haven't been able to ride every week, but can usually get out at least every other week even in the winter months. I prefer not to ride when the temps are much below 40 degrees and I don't own any heated gear. A Fox Creek Leather jacket with the insulated liner is plenty warm enough with jeans and leather chaps and heavy riding gloves. It would probably be even better if I spent $90 on a set of soft lowers for the engine guard.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:58 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,541 Likes on 3,793 Posts

Depends on how much ridding. I live on the coast in the Hampton Roads area. Don't go far but ride all year above freezing. Bike gets parked two months straight at the most.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:13 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I ride year-round. Western Washington state, (and western Oregon). Very little snow, and some years no snow at all. You'll get wet, though. In the winter, I put fairing lowers and a taller windshield on my bike, to help stay a little drier. Most guys put their bikes away for the winter here, but then again, many of those don't ever seem to ride in the rain, no matter what time of year.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:16 PM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

OKC, Ok. I ride most of the year, not on the road when there is ice. Depends on how bad the winter gets. The cold is manageable

Old 10-15-2013, 02:26 PM
Mac10
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Ride year round in Jersey. Just a little cold to deal with but nothing horrible

Old 10-15-2013, 02:28 PM
fdb2007
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride year round in the NC Sandhills, although there are some cool days (not by Great White North stds). I'll make you a great deal on a house--3 bdr, 2 1/2 baths, fireplace and hardwood floors. Plenty of room in the garage for a car and a couple of bikes.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:33 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

san antonio, tx. would make a great home base...or the texas coast. IH-10 would be the dividing point between riding all the time and nearly all the time.

Quick Reply: Riding all year?